The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

48 minutes ago, frmr said:

Lol, Bayern and Barcelona drawn in the same group in CL. Awkward for Lewa...

It's a tough group, with Inter as well. 

As a culé, want we would love is some sort of revenge against Bayern. But I think the most realistic as we stand is to get out of the group, after failing last year and rather pathetically.

So it does not matter as much any individual result, winning the group, or second, and into the knockout rounds, and no one here will care about the BM results.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's a tough group, with Inter as well. 

As a culé, want we would love is some sort of revenge against Bayern. But I think the most realistic as we stand is to get out of the group, after failing last year and rather pathetically.

So it does not matter as much any individual result, winning the group, or second, and into the knockout rounds, and no one here will care about the BM results.

If anybody at Barcelona goes into the matches against Bayern without the extra motivation of revenge, coming off the back of 3 pretty humiliating defeats in the last 3 years in the previous matches between the clubs, it will reflect poorly on Barca, as a club, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If anybody at Barcelona goes into the matches against Bayern without the extra motivation of revenge, coming off the back of 3 pretty humiliating defeats in the last 3 years in the previous matches between the clubs, it will reflect poorly on Barca, as a club, in my opinion.

I haven't seen that we are really ready, that is the problem. 

We have been terribly outcoached for years, and the psychological preparation has been horrible. We are fragile (as we were with Messi for 5 years), even with one of the best attacks in the world on paper (Ansu, Lewa, Dembele, plus strong subs). We don't have a dominant mentality for 90 minutes. Away we are quite a mess, we gave up big first leg leads successively to Roma, Liverpool, and we are still not proving to be dangerous away from home. 

We'll have to play very well to get past Inter, IMO.

Starting at LB. 

Annoying that SN seems to have moved Bayern games off their main channels.  I get that it is a way to drum up interest in SN World (I assume that is where it is being shown) but it is a slap in the face to those of us who have paid for SN all this time.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Davies hockey assist on tying goal.

He’s so good at setting teammates up in the box… could have had multiple assists if Bayern players finished better / goalie didn’t stand on his head.  Side note: no idea why a ‘big team’ has never gone for keeper Yann Sommer.

Also pleased Davies got some good shots on target today too.

Edited by TOcanadafan

Bayern received a match award for his performance today from a Bayern fansite.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2022/8/27/23324715/bayern-munich-gladbach-match-awards-player-ratings-sommer-sane-muller-davies-kone-man-united

This was a very tough pick since Lucas Hernandez also had a superb game. Upamecano would’ve been a straightforward pick up until the 43rd minute, when he decided to revert back to being the Upamecano we grew tired of last season. Some very poor ball control (which was also super unnecessary) led to Thuram receiving the ball in acres of space, and well... you know the rest.

Davies gets the nod over Lucas simply because of how crucial he was from a tactical standpoint. There were several instances when he’d use his pace and his physicality to beat the Gladbach midfielders and wingers to the ball. He also won the ball back with his tenacity on several occasions, and his relentlessness and lung-busting runs also created several chances in the opposition’s box.

A large part of Nagelsmann’s tactics this season revolves around Davies, and with good reason. He’s a one-of-a-kind LB, and there are some things that he brings to the table that are simply invaluable. It is a pity that he didn’t get an assist this game because he certainly did enough to earn one.

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Starting at LB. 

Annoying that SN seems to have moved Bayern games off their main channels.  I get that it is a way to drum up interest in SN World (I assume that is where it is being shown) but it is a slap in the face to those of us who have paid for SN all this time.  

If Rogers didn't want SN World to exist, I doubt SN would have reupped on Bundesliga last year. Probably would be now on DAZN or fubotv instead. SN World's live programming is basically Bundeslliga, FA Cup, rugby & a bit of WSL.

SN's Bundesliga live programming this year is being used to fill up Saturday & Sunday mornings. Bayern hasn't played in these 2 windows yet. They will this coming Saturday and it is live on SN.

Otherwise, SN does replay Bundesliga matches during the week. First replay of today's Bayern match is tomorrow on 360 at 1800 EDT.

24 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Man.  Those shirts.  I assume they are some sort of traditional attire, but oof.  

I assume you mean the tops - You can barely see the shirts (except that Davies is the only one of the four here who has his buttoned at the top).

There is also an entire team photo of everyone but the Muslim players holding up a pint of beer that’s doing the rounds but I thought this was the more interesting one