The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Indirectly, this also gets out ahead of any "the players are being greedy" narrative that may form in their battle for increased WC benefits from the CSA.

That's not to take away from the gesture by Davies, but just pointing out a nice little side effect (for the players).

9 minutes ago, RS said:

Indirectly, this also gets out ahead of any "the players are being greedy" narrative that may form in their battle for increased WC benefits from the CSA.

That's not to take away from the gesture by Davies, but just pointing out a nice little side effect (for the players).

Unfortunately, it's a nice gesture that may put some pressure on his teammates. Some of them make not a lot more than average person salaries, so to those guys, keeping the money is meaningful and I don't think anyone should criticize them if they do. Everything in this world is damned if you do...

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Unfortunately, it's a nice gesture that may put some pressure on his teammates. Some of them make not a lot more than average person salaries, so to those guys, keeping the money is meaningful and I don't think anyone should criticize them if they do. Everything in this world is damned if you do...

You're not wrong. A guy like Davies, making 5 million Euros per year, isn't going to bat an eye at the extra $100k (or whatever the final payment ends up being).

1 hour ago, RS said:

You're not wrong. A guy like Davies, making 5 million Euros per year, isn't going to bat an eye at the extra $100k (or whatever the final payment ends up being).

I think the comment about taxation could be right. He is paying the lion's share of his taxes in Germany. 

What he gets from Canada is the per diems/payments for the call-ups, maybe some sponsorship and merchandising (though if the deals are international he would likely be paying in Germany, as it is where he resides), and then bonuses like this. He may have some promotional stuff as well. In any case, they probably looked at it and saw it'd make sense in Revenue Canada terms for him to donate the bonus. 

We are talking about somewhere no less than 80,000 each and not likely double that.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

I think you're spreading misinformation friend. The average household income in Vancouver is about 60k. Not sure how that compares to the rest of Canada but I'm sure it's about the same. The median salary of our national team is probably around 500k. Probably more. Then if you take their age and bench mark it against the average income of people of the same age it becomes even more extreme. Also consider professional football players have no student debt and the few who did attending post secondary they did so under a scholarship program. At some player's age a lot of people are still attending school and haven't even entered the job market yet. Soccer players at that level have had their apprenticeship program completely paid for. So to say Canadian national team players make around the same as an average Canadian is wildly inaccurate 

This theory that these guys make peanuts keeps easily being debunked but oddly people keep trying to insist that it's true

Edited by SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think you're spreading misinformation friend. The average household income in Vancouver is about 60k. Not sure how that compares to the rest of Canada but I'm sure it's about the same. The median salary of our national team is probably around 500k. Probably more. Then if you take their age and bench mark it against the average income of people of the same age it becomes even more extreme. Also consider professional football players have no student debt and the few who did attending post secondary they did so under a scholarship program. At some player's age a lot of people are still attending school and haven't even entered the job market yet. Soccer players at that level have had their apprenticeship program completely paid for. So to say Canadian national team players make around the same as an average Canadian is wildly inaccurate 

Even guys without senior caps like Kerr or Luca Petrasso make more than the median household income. I think the minimum MLS salary is around 70k, but that is American so closer to 6 figures when converted to canuck bucks.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Even guys without senior caps like Kerr or Luca Petrasso make more than the median household income. I think the minimum MLS salary is around 70k, but that is American so closer to 6 figures when converted to canuck bucks.

And the irony is if those guys were on our national team we wouldn't be in the World Cup. So what is 80% of zero?

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Point really was that for some guys, even if they're making 300k or 400k, well above a typical Canadian household, $80-100k means something, whereas to Davies, it'll be a rounding error on his career earnings.

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Point really was that for some guys, even if they're making 300k or 400k, well above a typical Canadian household, $80-100k means something, whereas to Davies, it'll be a rounding error on his career earnings.

But they're not making around 300 or 400. And if a couple guys are they're getting paid to go to the world cup and fill up waterbottles

The reality is what did a guy like MAK who gets 800k a year do to get us in the World Cup? Nothing besides almost screw it up

This isn't some fight the power moment. This is a bunch wealthy soccer players looking for even more when the average CPL player is scraping by making 50k a year. Theyve been sold some social justice narrative but have no sense of reality because theyre kids who player soccer for a living and they're being used. At least we now know Alphonso Davies isn't one of them and he clearly just wants to get on with things 

Edited by SpursFlu

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Who's talking about fighting the power? I'm talking about guys who earned their spot on the team keeping the money they get paid to be on the team, and that they shouldn't feel bad about it. What share they should get compared to the CSA, or how that should be decided is an entirely different issue.

Puppets 

But not Alphonso Davies

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If you are living in Toronto, a 1 bedroom 550 Sq ft condo rents for $2,500 plus utilities & wifi and we all know what inflation has done to grocery and restaurant prices.  100k doesn't get you what it used to, at least in the GTA.  It's not poverty wages but people in that income bracket would very much value an extra +20K

I don’t think most Canadians will expect all players to donate salary. I don’t know what our “tier B” players (Buchanan, Larin, Eustaquio, anyone just below Davies and David I guess) make, but even if you’re clearing $75k from the World Cup, that makes a huge difference. Ismael Kone makes $68k for example, and while that is perfectly fine to live in Montreal, that’s not a salary you can buy a house on. Allistair Johnston makes $440k, which is a very nice salary, but asking him to give away what will end up being like 25-30% or so of his annual take home (assuming he’s taxed at around 50%) is a tall ask. 

not only that, but these guys have limited careers. Most of our players have 10 years, 15 if they’re extremely lucky, to make their money, probably half of that time earning their peak contracts, and then they have to figure out what they’re going to do for the next 30-40 years.

even if a guy like MAK makes $880k a year, which objectively makes him wealthy, even in Toronto, how many years left does he have where he’ll make that much money- 5? The only players on our team who are set for life already are Davies, David, and I’m sure vets like Atiba, Borjan, etc., maybe Larin if he signed a deal for around what he was asking for, are fine, but most of our guys are not exactly financially secure to the point where they won’t have to get post career jobs. The World Cup payment could definitely do some serious damage on a mortgage, for example.

i think all of England donates their World Cup earnings, and if we were in their shoes, I’d support us doing the same, but when you consider many NHLers don’t earn generational wrath, and soccer salaries are much lower than hockey, I think we need to let whoever wants to keep their cut keep it.

Edited by InglewoodJack

Its funny reading on line everyone who clearly have no idea whats going on in Canada, being critical of Davies. Wondering why he's announcing this publicly and isn't this what most international players do? 

Clearly people don't realize that he's using it as an opportunity to denounce the actions of some of his teamates and signaling to them its time to wrap it up and get back to focusing on preparing for the World Cup

I believed the rumors that he didn't support his teamates boycott of the Vancouver friendlies but its great that we now know it to be true

56 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Clearly people don't realize that he's using it as an opportunity to denounce the actions of some of his teamates and signaling to them its time to wrap it up and get back to focusing on preparing for the World Cup

I don't think it's as clear as you think it is... ...certainly I didn't perceive his announcement to be any sort of indictment on his teammates.  I thought he was just being a good guy.  Maybe I'm just thick.  😕

40 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I don't think it's as clear as you think it is... ...certainly I didn't perceive his announcement to be any sort of indictment on his teammates.  I thought he was just being a good guy.  Maybe I'm just thick.  😕

Neither did I.  I think some people are reading what they want into things.

It would be just as easy to infer that he's happy that he has the chance to donate the money rather than have it go into some bureaucratic blackhole.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Neither did I.  I think some people are reading what they want into things.

It would be just as easy to infer that he's happy that he has the chance to donate the money rather than have it go into some bureaucratic blackhole.

I 2nd the motion.

What did Freud once say?  You know, THAT Freud.  Old Dr. Cockenbahls.

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Edited by Cheeta

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Its funny reading on line everyone who clearly have no idea whats going on in Canada, being critical of Davies. Wondering why he's announcing this publicly and isn't this what most international players do? 

I believed the rumors that he didn't support his teamates boycott of the Vancouver friendlies but its great that we now know it to be true

Your ability to spin things is on an Ozzie level. Quite impressive to be honest and just as ridiculous.