The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

4 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

There's always going to be the next "wunder kid". It was Davies and right now that's Musiala. 

Nothing wrong with that, Musiala has been great

From the moment Musiala joined the first team when he was 17, it was clear he was a generational talent.  Phonzie had otherworldly physical traits, but Moose is just unbelievable with his close control of the ball.  As Nagelsmann said, it's like he has a magnet between his foot and the ball - it's just stuck to him as he roulettes and elasticos with it. 

11 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I hope Davies hangs around Musiala a lot. Jamal has been incredible this season. Kid is going to be something special and it would be great if Davies keeps up with him.

By all accounts, they're good friends.  One thing that did put a bit of a damper on Musiala's participation in team extracurriculars was the fact that up until a few months ago, he didn't have his drivers license.  His mom drove him to and from practice every day.  I imagine it was hard for her since I don't think there were any other soccer moms she could carpool with.  That said, the $5M salary he's on probably took some of the sting out of it...

4 hours ago, GasPed said:

By all accounts, they're good friends.  One thing that did put a bit of a damper on Musiala's participation in team extracurriculars was the fact that up until a few months ago, he didn't have his drivers license.  His mom drove him to and from practice every day.  I imagine it was hard for her since I don't think there were any other soccer moms she could carpool with.  That said, the $5M salary he's on probably took some of the sting out of it...

Funny you mention this since I remember the vice documentary on davies from when he was just coming up with the whitecaps, he was already rumoured for a big European transfer yet had to take the tram to games since he was too young to get his license at the time. I’m sure they can relate to being too young to be put in such important situations.

Bayern is a top class organization, but I'm wondering for Davies' development as he will enter "peak" years in near future, how long should he be there? 

He's one of the top LBs in the world if not THE best, he's not in lineup and team is winning 7-0 on the road, after losing the best striker in the world in off season. 

1 hour ago, Joe1973 said:

Bayern is a top class organization, but I'm wondering for Davies' development as he will enter "peak" years in near future, how long should he be there? 

He's one of the top LBs in the world if not THE best, he's not in lineup and team is winning 7-0 on the road, after losing the best striker in the world in off season. 

If he ever wanted to leave Bayern, he’d be one of the most sought after players on the planet and could go to nearly any team he wanted to. I mean, there will come a time where he may want to play similarly to how he plays with Canada at the club level, and if Bayern doesn’t offer that, he could leave and land at an equally elite club. That said, the “worst case scenario” barring catastrophic injury is that this is his peak and he stays at Bayern for the next 7 seasons which isn’t exactly a terrible thing either.

8 hours ago, Joe1973 said:

Missing 3 key starters (Davies, Musiala, Gnabry (67')), but it didn't matter - that team is as scary as anyone on the planet right now.  I think that if we (Canada) have a worry, it's that Davies is one of a constellation of stars on Bayern, whereas on CMNT it's a constellation of one.  So not only his position changes, but his tactics, the way he uses his teammates and they use him - it's all different.  And he can't just go full maniac - we've seen how that works (not). (Panama game notwithstanding)

17 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Missing 3 key starters (Davies, Musiala, Gnabry (67')), but it didn't matter - that team is as scary as anyone on the planet right now.  I think that if we (Canada) have a worry, it's that Davies is one of a constellation of stars on Bayern, whereas on CMNT it's a constellation of one.  So not only his position changes, but his tactics, the way he uses his teammates and they use him - it's all different.  And he can't just go full maniac - we've seen how that works (not). (Panama game notwithstanding)

For me I see him establishing a bigger legacy for himself and Canadian soccer if he joins the Premier League. Bayern is terrific and unless they could pull off a run of multiple Champions League wins, they will be forgotten in domestic games. But in Premier League he will be in spotlight every game due to the competitiveness.

7 hours ago, kacbru said:

Very cool.  But is it also a function of opponents bunkering and creating all kinds of space to carry into?

I agree. And another thing I thought first: they let him go up the pitch as he is not an efficient scorer and not the most dangerous assister either. He's inefficient in both, on a team that scores from all angles and positions. 

I could think of various older, slower, even declining left backs who score more and assist more. 

So let him have his runs up the pitch if he wants.

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree. And another thing I thought first: they let him go up the pitch as he is not an efficient scorer and not the most dangerous assister either. He's inefficient in both, on a team that scores from all angles and positions. 

I would agree with this as well.  To truly be a superstar, he needs to improve in those two areas

10 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I would agree with this as well.  To truly be a superstar, he needs to improve in those two areas

I'm happy for him to do that for us, and let him have his role at Bayern. That way he comes into Canada camps with a different mindset. And in fact, he does score and assist for Canada. 

But I could be wrong: if he were an attacking wing with his club, he might be developing his attacking skills even better.

My opinion, having watched him at BC Place, is that he is a left-side attacking wing. He was likely signed to apprentice for the Arjen Robben role. If they ever get back to that, or he is every converted by an intelligent manager, then great. But it is a bit of a shame that he is also wasting attacking talent as a LB at Bayern.