Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

If I'm not mistaken, that puts him 7th in the league for Goals + Assists at 19 (and counting).  And I believe 4 of the 6 players in front of him will likely be playing in the Eredivisie next season (if not sold) as two players are on PEC Zwolle & two players on Heracles which both clubs are set to be directly promoted.

I hope he impresses more then because it was jarring how quick it took Sparta to be like "yeah he's not it" and then booted him back to the Eerste Divisie.

23 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope he impresses more then because it was jarring how quick it took Sparta to be like "yeah he's not it" and then booted him back to the Eerste Divisie.

Iirc the decision was partial on him because he wanted to make sure he was getting minutes ahead of the world cup, so it was probably not Sparta saying you are not good enough - more like Brym making sure he was a guarenteed starter with the WC around the corner.

Brym probably saw his competition and knew playing time would be tough to come by. Sparta’s striker Tobias Lauritsen has 11 goals this season, good for 8th in the league, their RW has 10, their CM/AM has 8, their LW another 4; I don’t think they were going to need another pure goal scorer, so playing time was going to be very difficult for him.

Lauritsen was signed in august and there was a lot of competition for him, so they likely didn’t expect to have him when they brought in Brym in June. He came from Norway, so not a top league, and was originally going to Aberdeen, but then scores his first goal and two days later Brym is loaned out. I think he has a place in the Eredivisie, but the situation wasn’t right for him.

10 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

And some have the audacity to hate on him.

I don't think anyone here "hates" him. I was firmly in the camp that thought he hadn't done enough at club level to really justify the caps he was getting ahead of some others, and when he did see the field for Canada looked underwhelming.

He's doing great this season and I am super happy to see it. Hopefully he can replicate this type of form in a more competitive league because the Dutch 2nd tier still doesn't woo me. You don't see me clamoring for Colyn call-ups either :D

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I was firmly in the camp that thought he hadn't done enough at club level to really justify the caps he was getting ahead of some others, and when he did see the field for Canada looked underwhelming.

A lot of partiality when these statements are made considering the positive consecutive season(s) he has had/is having. The man has 8 appearances for Canada. He didn’t make the WC squad when guys like Millar (17 apps) and Fraser (15 apps) did.

Fraser has been playing at a lower level than Brym, however I will say that imo he’s always look good when playing for Canada.

Millar on the other hand has been called into Canada a substantial amount of times, played key minutes and hasn’t “wowed” for Canada imo. His club team plays at a higher level than all three, but personally and his team are having a very underwhelming season.

So other than these guys, who has done enough to deserve a call up when he has gotten them? It’s just an easy statement to make, but you gotta say who. I really want to know. 

58 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

That’s not really true. Basel can still finish 2nd and are in Conference League semis. At a personal level, he learned and played a new role. 

Exactly my point….apologist, able to find a positive but then able to scrutinize Brym for the personal season he’s having. That’s what warrants the call ups.

The learned a new role part…he just started being deployed in the WB  position, I believe it’s only been 3 games. 

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That is 50 some minutes a game.  Also he has played 90' once in all competitions since the World Cup. I would say he needs to play more. Hopefully the coach has seen something recently.

Not only play more, produce more.
But this isn’t about him.

He was just used as comparison to the “warrants a call up” conversation.

@MauditYvon who do you think deserves a call up over Brym? as we wait for @Bertuzzi44names.

3 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

I’m not into the debate of Brym vs Millar. Both have promising seasons and a bright future.

Neither am I. He was just used as reference to someone who frequently gets called in. 
I was asking the question of who is more deserving of a call-up then Brym. That's all. 

Any negative feelings towards Brym on this board likely stem from the inexplicable choice to bring him on in the last minutes of a fraught 1-1 draw in Azteca - only for him to jog around like it was a warmup drill. I don’t know if it was nerves or trying not to do too much, but it instantly soured myself and others on him.

Subsequent appearances have been much more positive, but it’s still tough to shake that memory.

16 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Any negative feelings towards Brym on this board likely stem from the inexplicable choice to bring him on in the last minutes of a fraught 1-1 draw in Azteca - only for him to jog around like it was a warmup drill. I don’t know if it was nerves or trying not to do too much, but it instantly soured myself and others on him.

Subsequent appearances have been much more positive, but it’s still tough to shake that memory.

I believe he did the same thing in the Honduras game at home when it was 1-1 and they were pushing for the win - first of the WCQ.  That’s what soured me.

Yeah, first impressions matter quite a bit.  It is probably why Corbeanu continues to get the benefit of the doubt when clearly his coaches don’t feel he’s ready for the next step yet.  

I think we have also gotten a bit comfortable with the idea of some young phenom emerging quickly rather than putting the work in and evolving into a solid pro over the course of multiple seasons.  At one point a few years ago David kind of came out of nowhere.  Davies kicked in the door if MLS as a teenager.  And Kone went from signing his first pro contract to playing in WCQ extremely quickly.  

The reality is that guys like Brym and Colyn are taking a far more common pathway - grinding through the youth levels, earning their stripes, and eventually doing the reps needed to (hopefully) carve out a solid European pro career.  That doesn’t mean they can’t become major contributors to the Nats.  

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

I believe he did the same thing in the Honduras game at home when it was 1-1 and they were pushing for the win - first of the WCQ.  That’s what soured me.

Brym wasn’t a part of that first window, so it definitely wasn’t the Honduras home game. You’re probably thinking of Jamaica away, where he was once again brought on in the final minutes. That one really did not go over well after the lackadaisical display a few days earlier against Mexico.