Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

10 minutes ago, Corazon said:

In USMNT news, it looks like Sergino Dest has torn his ACL as well and will be out for the remainder of 2024.  I don't wish the injury on anyone as I'm currently undergoing the rehabilitation of an ACL surgery myself.  Injuries, including ACL, continue to be on the rise in the sport.

I saw an article within the last couple of days about a research project looking into prevalence and contributing factors of knee injuries among female soccer players and it got me wondering if there was a higher rate among women.  No idea of the stats

40 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I saw an article within the last couple of days about a research project looking into prevalence and contributing factors of knee injuries among female soccer players and it got me wondering if there was a higher rate among women.  No idea of the stats

I believe it is a much higher rate with women.  When I was playing and coaching in NCAA, we might have seen at most one or two male players tear their ACL’s in a season, while the women’s program year after year would have multiple players with ACL tears.  In Grad school I took a course that explained a couple reasons why this may be and one of the main reasons, is the natural body of a woman and the inwards shape of their lower body from their hips down to the knees.  I’m no expert and I’m sure there are more reasons but I remember that point being discussed.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

I believe it is a much higher rate with women.  When I was playing and coaching in NCAA, we might have seen at most one or two male players tear their ACL’s in a season, while the women’s program year after year would have multiple players with ACL tears.  In Grad school I took a course that explained a couple reasons why this may be and one of the main reasons, is the natural body of a woman and the inwards shape of their lower body from their hips down to the knees.  I’m no expert and I’m sure there are more reasons but I remember that point being discussed.

Thanks.  I looked gain and the article says the rate is 2x-6x higher in women.  Seems like a really wide spread but clearly it is far more prevalent.   

7 hours ago, Corazon said:

That’s correct. There has also been some research I believe that when women are on their periods, the incidence is a lot higher.  I can’t remember the reason. I know a couple of my soccer playing female friends were telling me there is a case to be made that women sit out during that time for their own safety. Although I suspect that will get into a very sensitive area which means it will be virtually impossible for have an honest discussion about it at present (which is unfortunate as its women that suffer from that).  

There was an interesting article in the Economist around the women’s World Cup which was talking about the ACL issue and was suggesting that the game could be modified to protect women better (smaller ball, smaller field, etc.).  They noted for example that women play with a smaller ball in basketball (I didn’t know that), lower net in volleyball, only two sets instead of 3 at grand slams in tennis and shorter tee offs in golf.  Again, gets into a sensitive area which is difficult to have an honest conversation about currently as it would get politicized so quickly.

43 minutes ago, An Observer said:

That’s correct. There has also been some research I believe that when women are on their periods, the incidence is a lot higher.  I can’t remember the reason. I know a couple of my soccer playing female friends were telling me there is a case to be made that women sit out during that time for their own safety. Although I suspect that will get into a very sensitive area which means it will be virtually impossible for have an honest discussion about it at present (which is unfortunate as its women that suffer from that).  

There was an interesting article in the Economist around the women’s World Cup which was talking about the ACL issue and was suggesting that the game could be modified to protect women better (smaller ball, smaller field, etc.).  They noted for example that women play with a smaller ball in basketball (I didn’t know that), lower net in volleyball, only two sets instead of 3 at grand slams in tennis and shorter tee offs in golf.  Again, gets into a sensitive area which is difficult to have an honest conversation about currently as it would get politicized so quickly.

If you think young girls who train, and better their craft and become elite professionals as a grown women and have to adapt because of the way they biologically born is sensitive.....well there's an even greater attack on women's sports and it's a sensitive mental issue. 

image.jpeg.f76416bf3f61df872682a7c9eacac77c.jpeg

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, An Observer said:

So, I didn’t bring it up earlier in my last post because I remember discussing in that same class that there was less concrete evidence of it.  But aside from the women’s body shape, the other research we did discuss on was women on their periods as well.  And from what I can remember, it had to do with the blood flow throughout the body while menstruating and blood levels.  The blood levels throughout the body will lessen during a period and will weaken muscles, ligaments, etc. and therefore lead to more injuries such as an ACL tear.  

As for modifying the women’s game, I’ve often argued that making nets smaller will help improve the women’s games.  It’s quite clear that the standard soccer nets are too large for most women that tend to be smaller then men with less reflexes and jumping capabilities.  I’m also trying my best to be diplomatic in this response because it feels like a sensitive topic.

P.s. this is by far the most off topic I’ve ever been on this forum.

Edited by Corazon

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

So, I didn’t bring it up earlier in my last post because I remember discussing in that same class that there was less concrete evidence of it.  But aside from the women’s body shape, the other research we did discuss on was women on their periods as well.  And from what I can remember, it had to do with the blood flow throughout the body while menstruating and blood levels.  The blood levels throughout the body will lessen during a period and will weaken muscles, ligaments, etc. and therefore lead to more injuries such as an ACL tear.  

As for modifying the women’s game, I’ve often argued that making nets smaller will help improve the women’s games.  It’s quite clear that the standard soccer nets are too large for most women that tend to be smaller then men with less reflexes and jumping capabilities.  I’m also trying my best to be diplomatic in this response because it feels like a sensitive topic.

Screenshot_20240501_222704_Chrome2.jpg.1afce1553f95a6204864e7c3442b3ee3.jpg

My wife at centre not sure where this is going but definitely listening now that you have her attention. (Me at right)

11 hours ago, Corazon said:

Wait - let me see if I'm following, you're gonna use a theory based on logic to explain to a woman why she's benched and all this while she's PMSing?

And then offer a smaller ball and nets?  Ok, good luck with that, i'll stand way over there......

Obviously kidding - my wife thought it was funny, otherwise I would not have posted!