Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

On 12/10/2022 at 6:39 PM, Aird25 said:

Will he not be too old for the U21 team soon, or is the cutoff for next season 2002s?

No one on their current team is over 20, and I’ve heard people refer to the team as U21s. Not sure if that’s a rule or not but seems like it’s pretty guaranteed he’ll be playing elsewhere next year.

56 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

No one on their current team is over 20, and I’ve heard people refer to the team as U21s. Not sure if that’s a rule or not but seems like it’s pretty guaranteed he’ll be playing elsewhere next year.

Vos and Kreekels are both 21, no? The Ajax team, which is also referred to as a U21 team, even has a couple of 22 year olds that have been used this season. Perhaps it's more of a guideline considering they compete against teams with no age restrictions

52 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Vos and Kreekels are both 21, no? The Ajax team, which is also referred to as a U21 team, even has a couple of 22 year olds that have been used this season. Perhaps it's more of a guideline considering they compete against teams with no age restrictions

Last time I checked, JPSV didn’t have anyone over 21, but it seems like both of the guys you mentioned turned 21 in-season. Would assume that it is more of a guideline, but also not sure a youth team has much reason to keep a player passed that age. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

50 minutes ago, Vasi said:

This kid is looking good. Might force Herdman to bring him in. Especially if Cavallini is adjusting to a new club, or if he is still Unattached FC by March. 

That would be the benefit of splitting squads between the Copa America and the GC.  Without devaluing either competition we would essentially have the opportunity to give tons of new/fringe guys caps and see how they fit into the Nats.   I would love to watch a team of guys like Colyn and Nelson, along with any dual Nats who might want to sign up (Koleosho, Jebbo) show what they can do.  I know we want trophies and to form a winning habit in advance of 2026 but Herdman has also emphasized the need to recruit guys and build depth - this seems like an excellent opportunity.  

1 hour ago, Vasi said:

This kid is looking good. Might force Herdman to bring him in. Especially if Cavallini is adjusting to a new club, or if he is still Unattached FC by March. 

I’d hope PSV brings him up before we bring him in. He’s doing well and has potential but would like to see him appear at a decent level. 

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be the benefit of splitting squads between the Copa America and the GC.  Without devaluing either competition we would essentially have the opportunity to give tons of new/fringe guys caps and see how they fit into the Nats.   I would love to watch a team of guys like Colyn and Nelson, along with any dual Nats who might want to sign up (Koleosho, Jebbo) show what they can do.  I know we want trophies and to form a winning habit in advance of 2026 but Herdman has also emphasized the need to recruit guys and build depth - this seems like an excellent opportunity.  

I love this idea but im not sure how practical it is to do a split squad. 

I would imagine its easier to have your core 16 players at both tournaments (minus injuries or guys needing rest etc). Then you fill out the roster with 8-10 fringe players that differ from each tournament. 

Core guys - Borjan St clair johnston laryea adekugbe miller kennedy staq oso kone piette buchanan davies david larin ugbo (obviously debate over how core piette or ugbo are or cornelius etc. But the concept is here for these 16) 

A. 8-10 - Corbeanu, koleosho Brym Kaye, Cornelius, Waterman, Millar, Cav, Hoillet Jebbison
B. 8-10 - Colyn, Smith, Dias, Davidson, Akinola, JRR, Shaf, JMR, Nelson, Zouhir, Choiniere 

Again, just 2 concept squads. Development and squad management will obviously impact which 8-10 get chosen, but I do love the idea of getting more guys minutes.

32 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I would imagine its easier to have your core 16 players at both tournaments (minus injuries or guys needing rest etc). Then you fill out the roster with 8-10 fringe players that differ from each tournament. 

Core guys - Borjan St clair johnston laryea adekugbe miller kennedy staq oso kone piette buchanan davies david larin ugbo (obviously debate over how core piette or ugbo are or cornelius etc. But the concept is here for these 16) 

A. 8-10 - Corbeanu, koleosho Brym Kaye, Cornelius, Waterman, Millar, Cav, Hoillet Jebbison
B. 8-10 - Colyn, Smith, Dias, Davidson, Akinola, JRR, Shaf, JMR, Nelson, Zouhir, Choiniere 

Again, just 2 concept squads. Development and squad management will obviously impact which 8-10 get chosen, but I do love the idea of getting more guys minutes.

The idea of a core may be more workable now that more of those guys will be playing in Europe (and thus the summer is their “off” season).  But there may be concerns about missing pre-season for some - and we might see this with guys who are new to their teams or on loan (and we have lots of them: Johnston, Kone, and Cornelius - and possibly guys like Laryea, Miller, Buchanan, Cav, Corbeanu etc depending on their situations heading into next season).

Both tournaments run June-July but the GC in 2023 when a lot of our guys may be new, so it may be more of a cobbled together squad.  Then again we need every chance we can get to continue building our team play on the path to 2026 and guys will want the chance to audition for a spot in the team.   Gah…

The other factor is that MLS club commitments may really change the ability of some fringe guys to play.  If guys like Shaff or Nelson are getting solid playing time in MLS next season, I am not sure it would make sense to pull them out of that environment to play limited minutes in the GC.  And there are a lot of guys on your taxi lists who have important seasons coming up (I count 7 on your “B” list).   

Will be interesting to see what approach Herdman takes given the willingness of players to show up.  

EDIT: and none of this even factors in Nations League.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

30 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

This might work with a large core group. 

I like the ideas but having two fully split squads does not work for us because we need to makeup fifa points in order to get in the 40's and 30s. We need our guys eligible to play in GB and other leagues.

We need to try abd win the gold cup. If we dont make it to the finals is a failure. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Who is Davidson, Bruno?

52 minutes ago, Vasi said:

This might work with a large core group. 

I like the ideas but having two fully split squads does not work for us because we need to makeup fifa points in order to get in the 40's and 30s. We need our guys eligible to play in GB and other leagues.

We need to try abd win the gold cup. If we dont make it to the finals is a failure. 

I was saying that 2 fully split squads does not work. 

We have our core 16ish guys depending on retiremnets, injuries, guys who need a break etc. 

After the 16 we have 8-10 spots that are arguably up for debate. Corbeanu vs millar are close enough that you could take 1 per tournament. Brym vs jebbison vs cav. Henry vs waterman vs cornelius. Zouhir vs kaye. Shaf vs JRR. 

We obviously can debate the quality difference between players, but the concept is that we can provide more opportunities to more depth players.  The 2022 WC cycle didnt have nearly the depth that we hope to see developing this cycle but it now looks like we have some solid options coming through.  

I agree about getting fifa points which is why you keep our core guys. I just think the margins between our #3 #4 and #5  on the depth chart (in some positions) is close enough that we can give opportunities to both. 

7 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Who is Davidson, Bruno?

Hes the winger from Celtics youth. Obviously an incredibly early shoutout for him.  I didnt include guys like ZBG or edwards so my list is not complete by any means. I just like to dream about our prospects.

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Hes the winger from Celtics youth. Obviously an incredibly early shoutout for him.  I didnt include guys like ZBG or edwards so my list is not complete by any means. I just like to dream about our prospects.

It's great to be optimistic, but isn't the highest level he's played 5th tier Scotland?

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

It's great to be optimistic, but isn't the highest level he's played 5th tier Scotland?

For sure hes a long way out. However hes exactly the type of dual we should be targeting from a logistic point of view. Hes young so we can get him into the system before he joins anyone else, hes at a topish club in europe, he sounds eager to play for us. 

The only reason he was on this list is because of optimism. You can swap out diallo, costa, even dias and smith and none of them are close to our first team but I'd still list them. However, lots of players make huge steps from youth to senior in a years time so its just a hopeful list that any of our incredibly young prospects make the step up.

If we want to grow our player pool, we can't let dual nats slip through the cracks. I think we are seeing a similar approach with guys like Higazy. I am not at all advocating that any of these guys are ready for a sr call up yet. You can go through more players on my list that are optimistic choices. It's just more fun to think of the 26th man (on a heavily rotated team) being a young dual vs tiebert or akinola. 

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The idea of a core may be more workable now that more of those guys will be playing in Europe (and thus the summer is their “off” season).  But there may be concerns about missing pre-season for some - and we might see this with guys who are new to their teams or on loan (and we have lots of them: Johnston, Kone, and Cornelius - and possibly guys like Laryea, Miller, Buchanan, Cav, Corbeanu etc depending on their situations heading into next season).

Both tournaments run June-July but the GC in 2023 when a lot of our guys may be new, so it may be more of a cobbled together squad.  Then again we need every chance we can get to continue building our team play on the path to 2026 and guys will want the chance to audition for a spot in the team.   Gah…

The other factor is that MLS club commitments may really change the ability of some fringe guys to play.  If guys like Shaff or Nelson are getting solid playing time in MLS next season, I am not sure it would make sense to pull them out of that environment to play limited minutes in the GC.  And there are a lot of guys on your taxi lists who have important seasons coming up (I count 7 on your “B” list).   

Will be interesting to see what approach Herdman takes given the willingness of players to show up.  

EDIT: and none of this even factors in Nations League.  

Great post! The core guys could easily drop from 16 to 10 ish. Even more minutes for more guys. I just dont think you cut the team in half and say Team A is gold cup and Team B is Copa. If thats not what you meant by splitting the squad, then i am all on board. 

42 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Great post! The core guys could easily drop from 16 to 10 ish. Even more minutes for more guys. I just dont think you cut the team in half and say Team A is gold cup and Team B is Copa. If thats not what you meant by splitting the squad, then i am all on board. 

Who will be on the way out for 2023 if the core drops to 10? Do we need an interim mentorship situation as older players ease their way out of the CMNT?  Or, are some players ready to retire from the squad to be replace with new guys? Of course, there is a need to win and to increase to maintain spirit, momentum, and FIFA rank.  Some interesting decisions are coming in 2023.

2 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Who will be on the way out for 2023 if the core drops to 10? Do we need an interim mentorship situation as older players ease their way out of the CMNT?  Or, are some players ready to retire from the squad to be replace with new guys? Of course, there is a need to win and to increase to maintain spirit, momentum, and FIFA rank.  Some interesting decisions are coming in 2023.

I was referring to nams post. Basically we are saying that some players retire, some are injured, some have to deal with new clubs so they may miss a window, some may need some rest etc.  I certainly dont think that only 10 guys from our current squad will remain on the team. Just of the 16 that herdman used the most at the WC, we may only get 10 for the tournament.  

I only think we have 2 real threats of dropping out. Atiba and vitoria.  Borjan maybe, but doubtful. Hoilet and spoony may not make the next WC but should be around for the gold cup. 

3 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Brym says hi

To be fair, and I’m not a Brym fan, he did play in the Portuguese and Belgian first divisions. The concern with Colyn is that he’s now been with 3 pro clubs and has 1 (token)first team appearance. That’s a concern imo and makes me wonder what he’s missing. Essentially we’re advocating for a call up of a player that couldn’t even crack Vancouver. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

To be fair, and I’m not a Brym fan, he did play in the Portuguese and Belgian first divisions. The concern with Colyn is that he’s now been with 3 pro clubs and has 1 (token)first team appearance. That’s a concern imo and makes me wonder what he’s missing. Essentially we’re advocating for a call up of a player that couldn’t even crack Vancouver. 

Colyn is younger than Brym was when he made his first professional appearance (1 match in Portugal in the 2019-20 season). It is too soon to start shouting for a call-up, I agree, but I don't think "couldn't even crack Vancouver" is a fair way to characterize his young career.

Edited by jonovision