Jonathan David

Vince193

I think we are collectively overthinking it a bit.  He is a 20 year old guy in a new league in a new country.  He just made a big step up in terms of competition and right now the bounces aren’t going his way.  He is in a rut and may even get dropped to the bench, but he has all the tools and we know he has the drive.  I think it is way too early to lament the move to Ligue 1. There is no guarantee that he wouldn’t be having the same issues in Germany or wherever.  

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I had the same basic thought today. He is closed down more quickly in France than Belgium. At first I thought maybe David was not fit, but that excuses is gone at this stage of the season. Does he look bulkier than before, or is it just me? It could also be the case he has lost some of his explosiveness with the extra weight on. For sure though the defenders are better and faster in France.

I hate to point it out, but Mexico and USA are both quick in the CB area. David had trouble getting around Long in nations league and did not really make an impact against Mexico (aside from stripping Moreno and feeding Cavallini for the goal). 

On the bright side, he scored against Saint Etienne and Roma in Europa league last year, with both goals against the French side being generated by his pace. The first one getting to the free ball for the header, the second running onto a ball and firing in the top corner. He looked faster at Gent though...hopefully that is in my head and nobody else sees this.

Yes to all of the highlighted items. The fact that he excelled in Europa and especially the 2 teams you noted above  tells us all we need to know about his quality and whether he can play at this level. The coach has got to find a way to get him more involved. If he does the goals will come

Just responding to comments saying that maybe it's a question of league primarily.

I maintain that David has yet to adjust to League 1 and he does look less fit than before. He's not 100% - otherwise he can absolutely play at that level.

Why? He was punishing good clubs from Ligue 1 and Serie A going back to Roma & St-Etienne in Europa and watching those games, it was easy for him. For me, it's adjusting, building chemistry and getting his fitness on point.

That's why he's going to keep getting lots of opportunities 

Edited by Ansem

I’ve watched every minute of every Lille game this season and although they have been frustrating to watch as a team (albeit their success), today they were great. Agreed that Jo, for the entirety of the season has looked a bit slow, out of sync, low confidence and so far, not up to this level. It’s been hard to make excuses for him. 

He is playing a very difficult position on a team like this. It may just be what we just end up seeing with his time at Lille (very little of the ball and back to goal). 

Id imagine they pictured David to be a great poacher and lethal finisher. So far he looks nothing like that (hurts to say it) but are fingers are still crossed that things change and we’ll support him all the way through.

5 hours ago, Shway said:

His psyche is messed up. That’s why having international games is a way to help mend/improve it.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

If Canada was playing David would likely have a few goals and a renewed confidence. Right now he still has a good attitude (at least) but he is very much in his head. He is not playing instinctually.

So...if I have this correct...David not scoring is actually the CSA's fault?

27 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

So...if I have this correct...David not scoring is actually the CSA's fault?

So....correct me if I’m wrong....Was that explicitly said in either post? Or are you trying to create a rabbit hole by not asking a proper question based on shared opinions.

Edited by Shway

45 minutes ago, Shway said:

So....correct me if I’m wrong....Was that explicitly said in either post? Or are you trying to create a rabbit hole by not asking a proper question based on shared opinions.

Oh sorry. 

It was explicitly said that David is not scoring because he's not playing international games.

The CSA is responsible for scheduling international games for Canada, the team with which David would be on international duty.

Apparently it was a leap to associate the two.

Further to that, if we are parsing posts strictly on the words used, did I explicitly say anywhere in my post  that I was "trying to create a rabbit hole"?

22 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Oh sorry. 

It was explicitly said that David is not scoring because he's not playing international games.

Again your making things up to fit your narrative instead of being sensible and asking a proper question. Again I did not state anywhere “that David is not scoring because he's not playing international games.” But “His psyche is messed up. That’s why having international games is a way to help mend/improve it.”

The CSA is responsible for scheduling international games for Canada, the team with which David would be on international duty.

Apparently it was a leap to associate the two.

Yes, yes a big leap. A big dumb leap. 

Further to that, if we are parsing posts strictly on the words used, did I explicitly say anywhere in my post  that I was "trying to create a rabbit hole"?

And with this, it has already begun. 

Todays lesson for the kids: How-to ask a valid question without being facetious. You’ll more than likely get your answer!

8 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Seems to me Hombre above was just messing around and did not at all mean for his comment to be taken seriously... but okay

Yea I’m not sure, and neither are you - that’s why we can speak for ourselves. Based on his response it was serious, but like me you’re used to/expecting his Jim Carey takes. 

51 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yea I’m not sure, and neither are you - that’s why we can speak for ourselves. Based on his response it was serious, but like me you’re used to/expecting his Jim Carey takes. 

I think it's a better personal policy to remember it's the internet, chuckle, and move on

I wouldn't say David isn't contributing to the team, his runs are opening up space for others, he takes the defenders away for the ikone goal. Even if he isn't seeing much of the ball he is still managing to have an impact on a winning team, and I think as long as the winning continues the coach doesn't really have to make any changes to the 11 so he will get more shots. 

8 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

I’ve watched every minute of every Lille game this season and although they have been frustrating to watch as a team (albeit their success), today they were great. Agreed that Jo, for the entirety of the season has looked a bit slow, out of sync, low confidence and so far, not up to this level. It’s been hard to make excuses for him. 

He is playing a very difficult position on a team like this. It may just be what we just end up seeing with his time at Lille (very little of the ball and back to goal). 

Id imagine they pictured David to be a great poacher and lethal finisher. So far he looks nothing like that (hurts to say it) but are fingers are still crossed that things change and we’ll support him all the way through.

On the bright side, it could make him a more well rounded player in the future if he is able to become better at playing with his back to the goal. No better way to learn than to fight through some adversity. As long as he keeps getting starts, this could help him. If he starts being stuck to the bench then I'd worry, but not until then.

2 minutes ago, archer21 said:

On the bright side, it could make him a more well rounded player in the future if he is able to become better at playing with his back to the goal. No better way to learn than to fight through some adversity. As long as he keeps getting starts, this could help him. If he starts being stuck to the bench then I'd worry, but not until then.

Yep, as long as the team is doing well and are in this form I can’t imagine Galtier rotating the side. That is the saving grace. Also helps that his price tag is what it is, and they will do anything to get him going offensively. 

17 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think we are collectively overthinking it a bit.  He is a 20 year old guy in a new league in a new country.  He just made a big step up in terms of competition and right now the bounces aren’t going his way.  He is in a rut and may even get dropped to the bench, but he has all the tools and we know he has the drive.  I think it is way too early to lament the move to Ligue 1. There is no guarantee that he wouldn’t be having the same issues in Germany or wherever.  

I have cooled my jets a bit and find myself more optimistic on David this morning. 

What you say is true. He did take a big step up. The fact of the matter is that his team is currently first in Ligue 1. He is playing a lot of minutes. He has been misfiring on his chances, but now he is getting more chances and that is a good sign. He will score sooner or later. Once he gets one, the pressure will be off and he will get more. 

In the meantime, his team is chugging along and he is contributing with his smart movement. We have a 20 year old starter for one of the best teams in France. That is still unheard of by historical standards. No need for David and his fans to panic. He is still just 7 games into his Lille career. It will come with time.

Even if he struggles in front of goal for the entire year, if he plays a big role and the team wins a trophy that will be huge for his development. 

Edited by Obinna

I thought David looked better than previous matches, but still overall it was disappointing. Lille looked very good, and Lens looked very bad (how are they off to such a good start).

Semi unrelated note: Sven Botman is so good. He might be my favourite Lille player to watch (and as a centre back, that's gotta be saying something)

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

I thought David looked better than previous matches, but still overall it was disappointing. Lille looked very good, and Lens looked very bad (how are they off to such a good start).

Semi unrelated note: Sven Botman is so good. He might be my favourite Lille player to watch (and as a centre back, that's gotta be saying something)

Botman reminds me of a very young Virgil Van Dijk; big lad who is good on the ground and in the air with a good footballing IQ.

Edited by JamboAl

5 hours ago, El Diego said:

Yeah I was thinking the same yesterday. He’s been very good for Lille and wouldn’t be surprised if he was shipped off to one of the big boys in the Prem soon.

More

Expect David to start tomorrow, the coach will not rotate the line up - the game is very important

Says that David is fit physically but will give him pointers/coaching so he doesn't miss opportunities. Also says he has to try to get more involved

-I'm interpretating this as to "not be afraid to try more stuff when he has the ball"

Edited by Ansem

Sparta Prague is a good team, we (Barça) saw them in Champions and they played well. Lille's group is as hard as French league I'd say, like playing top half of the table teams. 

Just so no one thinks it'll be any easier tonight. 

EDIT: I was wrong, I saw Slavia Praha. 

But Lille is not massively better today, regardless.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist