Jonathan David

Vince193

On 10/4/2020 at 12:42 PM, Floortom said:

Thank goodness they’re on top of the league. 6 games with no goals or assists...

The Sanches goal wasn't an assist?

Anyhow, he keeps improving every week imo. That run where he made the faint and went around the defender before crossing it for the eventual second goal to me looked like the Jonathan David we all know and love. I expect a goal or two will come next weekend. 

18 minutes ago, Macksam said:

The Sanches goal wasn't an assist?

Anyhow, he keeps improving every week imo. That run where he made the faint and went around the defender before crossing it for the eventual second goal to me looked like the Jonathan David we all know and love. I expect a goal or two will come next weekend. 

That composure is one of the things that separate him from other exciting young players such as Timothy Weah. We saw that several times with Gent and of course that wonder goal against Cuba in Nations League last fall. 

On 9/28/2020 at 6:56 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

So your worst case scenario is that they'll finish 4th?

My worst case scenario is that their game plan of grinding out a result with the hopes of getting one or two garbage goals a game will hit a dry spell for them for a sustained period, which could result in them dropping even further in the rankings overall. 

Edited by Macksam

The Sanches goal wasn't an assist because he was passing it across to Yilmaz. The keeper had no choice but to try to block the pass but it left it straight to Sanches to put it in the net. Similar to (although not as egregious as) that goal that Laryea set up for TFC against Montreal where he ran half way down the field, beat half the Impact squad and centred it for a tap in for Piatti, he doesn't get the assist but he definitely created the goal. Assists IMO shouldn't depend on being nullified by deflections or the ball richocheting off someone's shin or hand. The point of the assist is to give credit to the person who set up the goal, so in these situations it becomes a faulty way of collating statistics.

The flipside is the NHL where two players will get an assist for a goal where the player missed the net with the shot but it hit a defenceman's skate and went in and 2nd player's pass was actually four passes before the goal because the goal scorer and the primary assister passed it back and forth 3 times before it went in. Soccer is too stingy with giving these assists, hockey is not stingy enough. There's a huge gap in between the two approaches.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

That has to be the earliest point into a match that David has received a pass on a forward movement this campaign.  Made a hash of it (probably because he was surprised the pass came) but still.

Had a beautiful flick on afterwards that probably wouldve led to a goal if Yilmaz didnt slip. Anybody else notice the horrible sound from the One Soccer feed?

7 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

That has to be the earliest point into a match that David has received a pass on a forward movement this campaign.  Made a hash of it (probably because he was surprised the pass came) but still.

The defender closed him down quickly.

He made a sweet pass a few minutes later but a Yilmaz trip ended that threat.

And now Lille score off a free kick to go up 1-0. YIilmaz header.

Edited by narduch