Jonathan David

Vince193

3 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

If there is any good to come of this is he is not playing like absolute garbage off the ball. It's when he gets in it his feet he forgets how to play 

Honestly, to me this is more than a minor consolation.  They used to think he was ice man because he was so cool in front of goal.  Right now his confidence is shot but he is still playing well (finishing aside). I know he will be judged for his lack of production but a manager would be far more concerned if he was simply ineffective.  In this game, he wasn’t.  He got a few quality opportunities- which is encouraging.  

None of that glosses over the fact that he probably should have had 2 this game. His finishing has been quite poor.  Full stop. But if I  am a manager taking the long view, I am seeing signs of the player he will prove to be.      

to contradict my former post... I guess as long as Lille keeps grinding results David will keep getting chances to find his confidence. He seems to finally be getting accustomed to his team mates... now he needs to remember how to score. He is not playing instinctively. Then again, he is just 20, now is the probably the best time for him to experience what its like for things to not go his way.

This reminds me of Henry Onyekuru, in a bad way. Let me explain....

For those who don't know, Onyekuru scored 22 goals in 38 games for Eupen in the Belgian Pro League A.

This earned him a transfer to Everton at the age of 20. He was immediately sent out on loan to Anderlecht, where he scored 9 in 19 in the 2017-18 season, as one would expect him to do. He followed that with 14 in 31 at Galatassary. Things are looking good, right? 

Then, due to reasons outside his control (work permit), Everton sell him to Monaco for 15 million euros. I know, that is half the fee of David, and David has not gone on loan, but stay with me...

So how does he do at Monaco? Well, he fails to score in 4 games and that's it, he gets shipped out to Galatassary to finish the season. Does he replicate his form in Turkey? No, he only scores 1 goal in his 10 games. Quite the regression.

So far this season he is goalless with Monaco.

Now, I am not suggesting anything like this WILL happen to David, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't afraid something similar COULD happen. 

Should we take for granted that things will turn out alright? I am not sure we should, to be honest. 

I guess my overall point is that I fear this barren stretch may stunt his trajectory if he doesn't sort it out soon. I never saw the game today, but I am very concerned about what I am reading here. Rounding the keeper and missing the goal? I hope it wasn't as bad as it sounds. I am trying to stay positive and remind myself that Lille have a vested interest in his success. I try to remind myself they are top of the table. However, the longer this goes on the more nervous I get, like the rest of you I suppose...

All I can do is cheer for him and hope he finds the net soon. I really believe once he does the goals will start flowing. I hope Lille see it that way as well. 

Edited by Obinna

I don’t think today’s game was as bleak as some of the headlines imply.  He blazed over on a good chance but he was running and caught the ball on the volley.  He definitely should have done better but I have seen so many examples of that miss.  

When he rounded the keeper he had to push the ball out fairly far to avoid getting stripped by the keeper - and when he did that the defender closing him down got between him and the net immediately.  It wasn’t like he had acres of space and just failed to shoot - there was a ton of immediate pressure.  

Maybe it is my rose coloured glasses but I saw some encouraging signs in this game.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think today’s game was as bleak as some of the headlines imply.  He blazed over on a good chance but he was running and caught the ball on the volley.  He definitely should have done better but I have seen so many examples of that miss.  

When he rounded the keeper he had to push the ball out fairly far to avoid getting stripped by the keeper - and when he did that the defender closing him down got between him and the net immediately.  It wasn’t like he had acres of space and just failed to shoot - there was a ton of immediate pressure.  

Maybe it is my rose coloured glasses but I saw some encouraging signs in this game.  

I appreciate that break down. That doesn't sound so bad. Sounds more like when he rounded Steffan in Nations league than when Larin rounded the keeper against El Salvador and skied it. 

Funny how sometimes we can imagine the worst. 

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That's what made him so lethal with Gent tho, he would put away chances like those with his eyes close. The ability is there, its clear as daylight how much talent he has, but he looks too unsure of himself, taking too many touches, its uncharacteristic of what his last 2 seasons with Gent were, or his time with the CMNT. I honestly think right now the biggest hurdle he needs to overcome is himself.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I appreciate that break down. That doesn't sound so bad. Sounds more like when he rounded Steffan in Nations league than when Larin rounded the keeper against El Salvador and skied it. 

Funny how sometimes we can imagine the worst. 

Thanks again!

I mean... he did have a chance between him and the keeper today where on a good day he buries on the corner... which it seems was his idea today, but it went a tad high..

I didn’t see the game today, but for a couple games already I have quietly been OK with the idea of him coming on as a sub. It might break his funk. He made his big break at Gent as a super sub, scoring in every 10 minute chance he got early on it seemed. He got his Lille transfer hype video, his Iceman TSN feature, the big transfer fee, and endless starts because he is the man now. It seems to me that the spotlight is affecting this shy kid. It makes me nervous to suggest he loses his starting spot, but I feel like this may be a case of him having to take a step back in order to take two steps forward.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for him to come on as a sub in the last 30 mins or so where he'd get the chance to go up against tired defenders and be more likely to score. Scoring would do good for his psyche, even if it means limited playing time for the time being.

Edited by LeoH037