Metro Vancouver CPL Club

On 8/24/2022 at 3:03 PM, Watchmen said:

Oh, McCallum is an idiot. Even if they lured the BC Lions (possible) and Whitecaps (doubtful) there's no justification for it. It's an election headline grabber.

Having said that, I've heard previously that Surrey does want a pro-team of some sort and is willing to build a stadium/arena for it. So yes, my take is still that if they considered the CPL to be bigger, they'd have built a stadium for them. And it's an open secret that's where the CPL team wanted to be.

At election time: "No, no. no," exclaimed an adamant mayor McCallum. "It was a typo. A typo, I tell you! I clearly said 6,000 for a stadium for Surrey. Not 60,000! Where do you people get these crazy ideas?"

On 8/25/2022 at 1:20 AM, narduch said:

Does Vancouver need a 60,000 seat stadium?

Are you talking about BC Place or the Surrey proposal? 

@Kingstonhave you ever been to BC Place game day? Your comparison with CPL in Ottawa or Winnipeg does not work at all. At TD, AtO has never reached 25% capacity. At IG, Valour has barely got to 15%.

Excepting this year's bad post Covid attendance for Whitecaps, lower bowl attendance historically averages over 80% with the upper usually blocked from view, and pushing 40% of the entire stadium with the upper part never opened to fans. Then they proved they could sell out a "decent" friendly (Iran) not to mention what an official qualifier might do. 

The path CPL teams in oversize stadiums have to take to look respectable is much more arduous than Caps at BC Place. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

@Kingstonhave you ever been to BC Place game day? Your comparison with CPL in Ottawa or Winnipeg does not work at all. At TD, AtO has never reached 25% capacity. At IG, Valour has barely got to 15%.

Excepting this year's bad post Covid attendance for Whitecaps, lower bowl attendance historically averages over 80% with the upper usually blocked from view, and pushing 40% of the entire stadium with the upper part never opened to fans. Then they proved they could sell out a "decent" friendly (Iran) not to mention what an official qualifier might do. 

The path CPL teams in oversize stadiums have to take to look respectable is much more arduous than Caps at BC Place. 

I've never been to a game at BC Place (although I'd love to).

My point was mainly that 60 000 for MLS or CFL stadium for CPL are both significantly oversized, not really to compare the degree of oversizedness.  But I'm glad the Caps games feel full in the lower bowl.

Certainly BC Place has sold out for NT games but I don't know that the new stadium would be built at 60 000 for the occasional NT game.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Really doubling down on the "We're naming it Vancouver" I see, despite the local supporters I know pushing hard not to do so.

I call all teams in CPL by their main city’s name (Winnipeg, Toronto, Calgary, Victoria etc) anyways, because nobody knows where they’re from or where Langford, York, Foothills, or Langley are. If it was a grass roots club I’d understand the concern, but these teams represent large areas in Canada

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

I call all teams in CPL by their main city’s name (Winnipeg, Toronto, Calgary, Victoria etc) anyways, because nobody knows where they’re from or where Langford, York, Foothills, or Langley are. If it was a grass roots club I’d understand the concern, but these teams represent large areas in Canada

Yeah, this is the problem here though. It's too far from Vancouver to attract Vancouver residents (of any number, on any consistent basis). And the initial fan response was that they're in the valley and wanted it to represent them.  That they *were* viewing it as closer to a "grass roots club" and something to distinguish themselves from the Whitecaps. This move has made them (from those I've heard from so far) very unhappy. 

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, this is the problem here though. It's too far from Vancouver to attract Vancouver residents (of any number, on any consistent basis). And the initial fan response was that they're in the valley and wanted it to represent them.  That they *were* viewing it as closer to a "grass roots club" and something to distinguish themselves from the Whitecaps. This move has made them (from those I've heard from so far) very unhappy. 

I suspect the club has talked to more people than you have, but who knows. I just know that everyone I bring to games or introduce to the league wants to know what city the opposition is from

38 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Is there any kind of organized fan group for this new club so far? That angle has been surprisingly quiet.

Yes. And I know a few of them. And yes, I'm surprised how quiet it's been. Though admitted they're likely using platforms I'm not on.

59 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I suspect the club has talked to more people than you have, but who knows. I just know that everyone I bring to games or introduce to the league wants to know what city the opposition is from

I have talked to a number of people organizing the supporters group. They have all spoken to Friend and co multiple times about how much they dislike it being called "Vancouver". 

We know why Friend wants to call it Vancouver. It's for purely business reasons, and that's fine. But I know people who have been screaming for a CPL team because of how tired they were of the "corporate" Whitecaps who "just don't understand fan support", and this is basically the opposite of what they wanted. I'm sure lots of them will still go out and support the team, but it's still starting off on the wrong foot. And trying to treat "all of Vancouver" as "the community" is a tough go as well, because that's going head to head with the Whitecaps.

I think you can definitely find people in that area who are indifferent to the name being called Vancouver but I can guarantee you there is nobody who likes the team being called Vancouver and you definitely have people annoyed and turned off. But if when they talk to business people in Europe and agents they'd rather say they're from a team in Vancouver, hey its their team and I guess that's the way its gonna be. Good luck 

I'll check out the odd game but I won't be representing the team in a way I was hoping to. Basically because that shits embarrassing 

Edited by SpursFlu

I'll be one of the first in line to buy season tickets and have no problem with the club having Vancouver in the team name. It makes sense business wise as its a major market in Canada's Top tier pro league, and the club is locating itself in Greater Vancouver. As for attracting Vancouver residents, its the greater Vancouver residents they'll be targeting basically and not the City of Vancouver residents.

With regards to the CPL teams city names, the local paper already lists the CPL standings that way and I think the league will move to use them more in the future as well in their communications/media.

In the end don't think there will be many that won't support the team for a frivolous reason like having Vancouver in the name imo.

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I have talked to a number of people organizing the supporters group. They have all spoken to Friend and co multiple times about how much they dislike it being called "Vancouver".

OK, but I am sure I have seen some of them wearing the VAN/CPL T-shirts anyway. <shrug>

21 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think you can definitely find people in that area who are indifferent to the name being called Vancouver but I can guarantee you there is nobody who likes the team being called Vancouver and you definitely have people annoyed and turned off. But if when they talk to business people in Europe and agents they'd rather say they're from a team in Vancouver, hey its their team and I guess that's the way its gonna be. Good luck 

I'll check out the odd game but I won't be representing the team in a way I was hoping to. Basically because that shits embarrassing 

Because of the name?  Seems a bit petty. 

On 9/3/2022 at 9:25 PM, Watchmen said:

Yes. And I know a few of them. And yes, I'm surprised how quiet it's been. Though admitted they're likely using platforms I'm not on.

We know why Friend wants to call it Vancouver. It's for purely business reasons, and that's fine. But I know people who have been screaming for a CPL team because of how tired they were of the "corporate" Whitecaps who "just don't understand fan support", and this is basically the opposite of what they wanted. I'm sure lots of them will still go out and support the team, but it's still starting off on the wrong foot. And trying to treat "all of Vancouver" as "the community" is a tough go as well, because that's going head to head with the Whitecaps.

Friend's right and the "supporters" are wrong. 

In any case, I seriously doubt any decent alternative is coming from these supposed fans. Of a team that does not exist. "We're fans of a non existent team, with no games, players, coach. Since we're extremely relevant, don't call it by the name of the city we all identify with. The name we say we're from when away." 

Apart: saying "corporate" Whitecaps means you don't know what corporate means.

And you're afraid to go toe to toe with the Caps. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Friend's right and the "supporters" are wrong. 

In any case, I seriously doubt any decent alternative is coming from these supposed fans. Of a team that does not exist. "We're fans of a non existent team, with no games, players, coach. Since we're extremely relevant, don't call it by the name of the city we all identify with. The name we say we're from when away." 

Apart: saying "corporate" Whitecaps means you don't know what corporate means.

And you're afraid to go toe to toe with the Caps. 

Metro Vancouver Sustainable Cooperation FC. The only way for everybody to get along. "In the valley of the jolly, ho, ho, ho, Friendly giant." Everybody sing!

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

Metro Vancouver Sustainable Cooperation FC. The only way for everybody to get along. "In the valley of the jolly, ho, ho, ho, Friendly giant." Everybody sing!

No Bias FC. 

(It's a Vancouver thing.  Lets see how many people get it).