Metro Vancouver CPL Club

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

I could make the point that how we define "pro" sports is also relative to further complicate things. NCAA? USPL? Alaska has teams that some might call pro or semi pro in those leagues.

Never mind your eurocentric definition of where west starts and stops...

All of which makes for an awkward disclaimer around the Pacific FC marketing strategy.

Geography - it's complicated. 

You're just a hater.

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In Greater Victoria, true. 

On the island, not at all. 

It’s early, but what city on the island would be less? I intentionally excluded Cumberland and Lake Cowichan for example by saying city 

9 hours ago, kacbru said:

Geography - it's complicated. 

No, it's really not.

You can argue all you like about the reasons for the way things are, how we got here and what you would like to see changed. What you cannot do is deny the facts that Planet earth in 2022 CE has an Eastern & Western Hemisphere, or a Northern and Southern Hemisphere that is recognized and generally used for reference.

28 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Indeed, the Hawaii Islanders - watched them at Nat Bailey vs the Cs many times in the early 80s (along with the Albuquerque Dukes, Tucson Toros and other vintage PCL teams). 

Fun! Amazing to think they lasted 27 years. Believe it or not, Barry Bonds played there.

I started going to games at the Nat in 1986 as a youngster. I don't remember seeing Hawai'i, but do remember all those other PCL clubs, including the Edmonton Trappers and Calgary Cannons. Sadly, it sounds like Vancouver is Canada's only remaining minor league club.

Edited by Blue and White Army

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Langford is also probably the least ocean oriented city on the whole island. 

Probably because Langford is a family oriented community. It's a stone's throw away from the Ocean but when you’re too busy chasing kids and working, you really don't have time for long walks along the beach or staring off in to the ocean. Or you can't afford to buy or care to buy a house steps away from the Ocean with a million dollar view

I would think the objective of the name Pacific for a team based on an Island in the Pacific ocean was to cast as wide a net as possible 

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Probably because Langford is a family oriented community. It's a stone's throw away from the Ocean but when you’re too busy chasing kids and working, you really don't have time for long walks along the beach or staring off in to the ocean. Or you can't afford to buy or care to buy a house steps away from the Ocean with a million dollar view

I would think the objective of the name Pacific for a team based on an Island in the Pacific ocean was to cast as wide a net as possible 

I was mostly being tongue in cheek with that comment, because I found the conversation humerous. Most municipalities on the island have a lot of water front, and I didn't think Langford had any. Though I now realize it technically extends to the tip of Saanich Inlet. The stadium is probably only 10 minutes from the water, and yes, they were likely trying to regionalize the team with the name choice

2 hours ago, Soro17 said:

Duncan disagrees.   

I used to keep my boat in Duncan so this seems wrong to me, but I didn't realize the city limits were so confined. I always think of Duncan including much more of Cowichan.

Edited by Aird25

10 hours ago, Aird25 said:

It’s early, but what city on the island would be less? I intentionally excluded Cumberland and Lake Cowichan for example by saying city 

Geez, you excluded all my favourite land locked municipalities. 

Langford is like 1.8 km from the Pacific Ocean, the whole premise of saying it's not very oceanic or Pacific is plain silly. 

14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

All of this talking is so silly. You don't see the yanks arguing over Red Bulls not actually being in New York.

Can't we...I don't know... enjoy that expansion is coming? 🙄

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/fan-sues-giants-jets-for-6-billion-demanding-both-teams-leave-new-jersey-and-play-home-games-in-new-york/amp/

You're spreading misinformation. These things do matter to people in those communities 

People need to understand Vancouver sucks. It will help our overall standard of living here in the Lower Mainland. One step is to stop branding everything "Vancouver" it's really just a small rinky dink little tourist trap/drug addict paradise portion of the Lower Mainland 

Edited by SpursFlu

30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/fan-sues-giants-jets-for-6-billion-demanding-both-teams-leave-new-jersey-and-play-home-games-in-new-york/amp/

You're spreading misinformation. These things do matter to people in those communities 

People need to understand Vancouver sucks. It will help our overall standard of living here in the Lower Mainland. One step is to stop branding everything "Vancouver" it's really just a small rinky dink little tourist trap/drug addict paradise portion of the Lower Mainland 

Matters to the vocal minority...we don't need to do the same unproductive stuff that they do

Bigger picture

New York attracts more attention (casuals, sponsors, media etc...) than Jersey.  

Do you want the league & club to succeed or do you want to be right?

30 minutes ago, masster said:

Question I was thinking about today...what is a realistic attendance expectation for this Langley based CPL club? WFC2 held some matches in Langley in the past and I think they drew in the neighborhood of 1,000.

My early guess is 2,000 - 2,500. 

Yeah, I can see that. Some games will be higher. I can see other games being lower. I think WFC2 had about 1000 the first time and then about half that for subsequent games. 

3 hours ago, masster said:

Question I was thinking about today...what is a realistic attendance expectation for this Langley based CPL club? WFC2 held some matches in Langley in the past and I think they drew in the neighborhood of 1,000.

My early guess is 2,000 - 2,500. 

The highest attendances for the Bandits of the Canadian Basketball League, playing in the same complex, are just over 4000.

Just on the basis of youth clubs in the Fraser Valley, I'd think they'd draw better than you are saying. In the Valley people drive everywhere, so that is not a problem.

49 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The highest attendances for the Bandits of the Canadian Basketball League, playing in the same complex, are just over 4000.

Just on the basis of youth clubs in the Fraser Valley, I'd think they'd draw better than you are saying. In the Valley people drive everywhere, so that is not a problem.

I think realistically this club will draw 2-4 K depending largely on the weather and the weekend competition, and the success of local promotions. Like everyone is saying, it really is in a soccer hotbed so I hope they manage to work successfully with the local clubs, especially Langley United, the BCSPL and community club that often shares the same complex. I hope that the stadium plans and seating design could be done in such a way that it feels intimate enough and full enough even if drawing 2.5 or 3 thousand, but with lots of realistic ability to grow and expand as needed.