Metro Vancouver CPL Club

Well, I'll been going from New West even if they are called the Super Soccers, with my brother-in-law from North Delta, and probably a kidnapped Nolando from Vancouver (Burnaby really) because I don't want to be sitting here 10 years from now posting in thread about wouldn't it be great if we had a national league.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

All joking aside I think the smartest and safest move is for this team to go with Valour, Wanderers style name identity 

I like South of Fraser FC but that's probably just me

What about Sto:lo United? ;) The river that unites the peoples of the area.

Conceptually deeper than most club names but not terribly "sticky" I'm afraid. :(

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just to be precise: I (occasionally) meet people in Europe who say "I'm from Vancouver", and it could be anywhere from Squamish to Hope. 

Same as the whole "I'm from New York" business that half of New Jersey uses when travelling. 

But you are right that as you get closer to home, people are more precise. 

Does a person from Maple Ridge visiting family in Windsor way he's from Maple Ridge, don't think so.

When I was in Europe, I used to say I was from Toronto rather than Hamilton for similar reasons but pronounced it like the locals "Trawna" so people actually thought I was from Tirana, Albania.  Then started saying i was from Hamilton so they thought I was from Scotland.  All terribly confusing.

And ps., all true stories

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in public transit(skytrain) and stadium location. It seems the skytrain won't be going to Langley anyways. Translink is now more interested in extending the skytrain in Surrey to Newton instead. The government also wants to own residential property along the skytrain line. This definitely won't fly with Langley as it proves what most people already know that the skytrain just drives up property costs and over populates communities benefitting developers and driving people away from home ownership. Now the government wants in. I think this effects the Valley club in that you can forget a skytrain going anywhere close to the stadium in the immediate or in the future. I think its actually a blessing for the team and another reason why it should embrace the Valley identity as apposed to clinging to some Vancouver crumbs. This might also drive a potential rail system thru the valley which is a more popular(I think) option for that region

23 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

For those interested in public transit(skytrain) and stadium location. It seems the skytrain won't be going to Langley anyways. Translink is now more interested in extending the skytrain in Surrey to Newton instead. The government also wants to own residential property along the skytrain line. This definitely won't fly with Langley as it proves what most people already know that the skytrain just drives up property costs and over populates communities benefitting developers and driving people away from home ownership. Now the government wants in. I think this effects the Valley club in that you can forget a skytrain going anywhere close to the stadium in the immediate or in the future. I think its actually a blessing for the team and another reason why it should embrace the Valley identity as apposed to clinging to some Vancouver crumbs. This might also drive a potential rail system thru the valley which is a more popular(I think) option for that region

Is this just wishful thinking on the part of some in the commuter rail fan club? A quick news search shows a recent op-ed in the Aldergrove Star and some twitter chatter based on Translink's new long-term plan, but not much beyond that. The BC government plans all still commit to Skytrain up Fraser Highway ending at Willowbrook and the new Translink long-term plan doesn't suggest any change is in the works. Seems kind of disingenuous to present it as if a major policy decision had been reversed (again). 

On 5/1/2022 at 10:36 AM, SpursFlu said:

For those interested in public transit(skytrain) and stadium location. It seems the skytrain won't be going to Langley anyways. Translink is now more interested in extending the skytrain in Surrey to Newton instead. 

This is not correct. The Surrey to Langley SkyTrain project is going ahead. No change there. There will also be a study about a potential SkyTrain extension to Newton. 

8 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

This is not correct. The Surrey to Langley SkyTrain project is going ahead. No change there. There will also be a study about a potential SkyTrain extension to Newton. 

No they can make more money running a public housing corridor up King George as opposed to running a line thru agriculture land and suburbs that won't allow for those units to be built. The skytrain will stop at Fleetwood for now

2 hours ago, Soro17 said:

Is this just wishful thinking on the part of some in the commuter rail fan club? A quick news search shows a recent op-ed in the Aldergrove Star and some twitter chatter based on Translink's new long-term plan, but not much beyond that. The BC government plans all still commit to Skytrain up Fraser Highway ending at Willowbrook and the new Translink long-term plan doesn't suggest any change is in the works. Seems kind of disingenuous to present it as if a major policy decision had been reversed (again). 

It doesn't really matter either way. Willowbrook is nowhere near the LEC. It's a stadium to drive to, and that location always has been.

4 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Correct!

Trudeau announces $1.3 billion for Surrey-Langley SkyTrain, confirms UBC support

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surrey-langley-skytrain-funding-provincial-federal-trudeau-horgan

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It doesn't really matter either way. Willowbrook is nowhere near the LEC. It's a stadium to drive to, and that location always has been.

Tons of free parking though. It's not a pain to get there and easy access to the highway.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:54 PM, soosh said:

Tons of free parking though. It's not a pain to get there and easy access to the highway.

"Tons" of parking. Good luck if there's anything going on at the LEC.

Edit: let me qualify that. I said a few pages back the one giants game I've been to since they moved out there I had to park about a 10 minute walk away because the LEC lot was full. So yes, if the LEC is empty there is plenty of parking.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise

On 5/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, SpursFlu said:

No they can make more money running a public housing corridor up King George as opposed to running a line thru agriculture land and suburbs that won't allow for those units to be built. The skytrain will stop at Fleetwood for now

The skytrain will stop at Langley City terminal station. No phase 2 anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Wow, so here on the Island we could not be "Victoria" even though "Greater Victoria", aka, "The CRD" is a recognized and widely accepted geographical identity but somehow they can be "Vancouver"? I guess the mayor of Langley (unlike the Mayor of Langford) wasn't willing to cough up the same dough for stadium upgrades and a sweetheart deal in exchnage for NOT being, "Vancouver". Or maybe the mayor of Langley thinks he's just a suburb. ;)

14 hours ago, ted said:

Wow, so here on the Island we could not be "Victoria" even though "Greater Victoria", aka, "The CRD" is a recognized and widely accepted geographical identity but somehow they can be "Vancouver"? I guess the mayor of Langley (unlike the Mayor of Langford) wasn't willing to cough up the same dough for stadium upgrades and a sweetheart deal in exchnage for NOT being, "Vancouver". Or maybe the mayor of Langley thinks he's just a suburb. ;)

It's complex. In Pacific's case, why give Victoria the merit when their city has done nothing to support the team? But then, same argument for this CPL club. 

Maybe it depends on brand recognition. Vancouver is a strong sports brand, Olympics being a factor, so it's seems a waste to not draw on that. Then, if you brand a team in the Fraser Valley too specifically (Langley, Surrey), maybe you lose the broader possible draw of fans. 

About the distance to Vanvouver: yes, nearly 50km. But you could also argue that Langford is on the edge of Greater Victoria while Langley is closer to the population centre of Greater Vancouver. 

Then there's the question of the Whitecaps. You could either say we're not competing with them and will take a different name, or compete for the Vancouver market then argue the way to do so is to displace the team location. 

I'm not against a Valley FC type solution, but see what Friend and Co are getting at. I also think few in Langley will resent being the host of the CPL Vancouver team. 

Finally, think that rivaling an MLS team with the same city name is unusual in North America soccer. Currently it's just Charlotte in USL 1 I think and then a few cases in USL2, Chicago, Miami, a few more. None in CPL, York deliberately avoided going up against TFC. So I like this as a precedent, and in the tier just below. We'll get the first Vancouver-Vancouver derby in the Voyageurs Cup. And it forces Whitecaps to get their act together. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's complex. In Pacific's case, why give Victoria the merit when their city has done nothing to support the team? But then, same argument for this CPL club. 

Maybe it depends on brand recognition. Vancouver is a strong sports brand, Olympics being a factor, so it's seems a waste to not draw on that. Then, if you brand a team in the Fraser Valley too specifically (Langley, Surrey), maybe you lose the broader possible draw of fans. 

About the distance to Vanvouver: yes, nearly 50km. But you could also argue that Langford is on the edge of Greater Victoria while Langley is closer to the population centre of Greater Vancouver. 

Then there's the question of the Whitecaps. You could either say we're not competing with them and will take a different name, or compete for the Vancouver market then argue the way to do so is to displace the team location. 

I'm not against a Valley FC type solution, but see what Friend and Co are getting at. I also think few in Langley will resent being the host of the CPL Vancouver team. 

Finally, think that rivaling an MLS team with the same city name is unusual in North America soccer. Currently it's just Charlotte in USL 1 I think and then a few cases in USL2, Chicago, Miami, a few more. None in CPL, York deliberately avoided going up against TFC. So I like this as a precedent, and in the tier just below. We'll get the first Vancouver-Vancouver derby in the Voyageurs Cup. And it forces Whitecaps to get their act together. 

Recognizing that it's a fine balancing act, there were a number of posters on here eager to support the team but that also said they would be upset if it tried to brand itself as "Vancouver".  Rob Friend has said they aren't focusing on the "north of the river" market. So in essence, you're (potentially) naming the team after a city you're not even try to attract, at the expense of annoying fans in the market you are trying to cater to.

When Forge plays Valour and someone asks who is playing, does everyone not say Hamilton vs Winnipeg anyways? I know I do. When Pacific plays this new lower mainland team I will likely similarly say Victoria vs Vancouver, or Vancouver vs Vancouver Island, and not Langford vs Langley.