Metro Vancouver CPL Club

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

put 1-2k on each side for a total of 3-4k to start and then add more if attendance is very good...anyway doubt the six-five group is putting much money into it

After their "search for a location with many municipalities" and ending up right where everyone said they would, I think it's clear the other cities had no real interest unless six-five were putting their own money in.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

After their "search for a location with many municipalities" and ending up right where everyone said they would, I think it's clear the other cities had no real interest unless six-five were putting their own money in.

LOL.  It's elementary isn't it?

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remain, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Sherlock Holmes.

27 minutes ago, lamptern said:

Is the rendering really needed for a pop up? Put a few bleachers together and call it a "stadium"?

That will feel the same as my son play u-12 at Chiliwack highschool backyard. Oh, wait, maybe the parking lot is bigger. 

Yes, yes it is important. Renderings are a hype piece. They bring belief to the project, and create a level of expectation.

With that said….I can’t be optimistic about this, but on the flip side I see what they did in Victoria and it makes me believe otherwise. 

I hope the create stands all around. 
The stadium and intimate settings are so key to the success of the overall product. 

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yes, yes it is important. Renderings are a hype piece. They bring belief to the project, and create a level of expectation.

With that said….I can’t be optimistic about this, but on the flip side I see what they did in Victoria and it makes me believe otherwise. 

I hope the create stands all around. 
The stadium and intimate settings are so key to the success of the overall product. 

If it's even all around bleachers, I would call it a stadium.

And remove the football lines, please.

10 hours ago, Cicero said:

We know that suburban, edge of city stadiums don't work, why would they do this?

Well, while I think PFC would be doing better attendance-wise at a renovated Royal Athletic Park in downtown Victoria, they are are certainly making it work in suburban Langford.

7 hours ago, narduch said:

I don't get it.

Wouldn't you want to get season ticket sales going.

Announce your team name and logo?

Maybe announce your coach?

Stadium pics or renderings?

Funny, I didn't realize you were new here. ;)

But seriously, this has been S.O.P. for the CanPL since 2018. Dribble information out on an absurdly long schedule. Just here on the Island we waited what felt like MONTHS thinking PMK and our best players were gone and the season was in danger. Unofficially the club reached out and said "calm down, good things are coming" but the snails pace of information is maddening for sure.

Back to Langley, the team won't play for basically a year. I would hope they get their shit together and announce these things by Christmas and try to sell season ticket deposits and merch but based on past experience, I'd say that's maybe a 25% chance.

18 minutes ago, gator said:

I'm 20 minutes or so from Tim Hortons Field with no traffic, I manage to get to all of the Forge matches!

I'm 10-15 min from the LEC, and wondering how they got the 600k number.  Mostly from Surrey, I suppose.  It's a lot of sprawl out here.

8 minutes ago, lamptern said:

2021 population: 

Surrey 568,000

Langley Township+City: 166,000

Total: 734,000

Sure, but Surrey is a massive land area and the densest part of it would be the furthest from the LEC, outside of the 20 min range. 

41 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sure, but Surrey is a massive land area and the densest part of it would be the furthest from the LEC, outside of the 20 min range. 

Driving time to LEC (none rush hour):

Surrey Central Station (Whaley) 17mins

White Rock 26mins

Abbotsford 35mins

1 hour ago, gator said:

I'm 20 minutes or so from Tim Hortons Field with no traffic, I manage to get to all of the Forge matches!

I think that's kind of the point Gator. For example, traffic absolutely annihilates the Mississauga Steelheads's attendance despite being in the 800,000 people peel region, most within 20 minutes (but realistically 40 minutes due to Toronto rush hour traffic)

Anyways, having visited BC this week, I would have actually put it in Surrey. The Skytrain is incredibly awesome and services Vancouver proper and you are a mere 10 minutes away from several turf fields at the BC Lions' practice facility. Sell the Lion's a facility upgrade for extended rent and done. Just don't fall into the Clarke trap and build a good and proper facility. I don't think that's the worst idea. Anyone from the area though, feel free to chime in.

Edited by -Hammer-

25 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

...Anyways, having visited BC this week, I would have actually put it in Surrey...

Not being able to be in Surrey close to the Skytrain is generally believed to be the reason that "Port City" wound up in Langford. The BC Lions practice facility was rumoured to be one of the locations they were targeting.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not being able to be in Surrey close to the Skytrain is generally believed to be the reason that "Port City" wound up in Langford. 

I would have guessed that at inception the Whitecaps tire fire hadn't yet reached full black out the sun levels.

Possibly but Langford offering to pay for a stadium may also have been viewed as too good an opportunity to miss. We'll probably never know for sure all the twists and turns that happened behind the various NDAs that were signed but given the issues they had getting FCE and the Fury on board that may have been the key to making a 2019 launch feasible.

43 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

I think that's kind of the point Gator. For example, traffic absolutely annihilates the Mississauga Steelheads's attendance despite being in the 800,000 people peel region, most within 20 minutes (but realistically 40 minutes due to Toronto rush hour traffic)

Anyways, having visited BC this week, I would have actually put it in Surrey. The Skytrain is incredibly awesome and services Vancouver proper and you are a mere 10 minutes away from several turf fields at the BC Lions' practice facility. Sell the Lion's a facility upgrade for extended rent and done. Just don't fall into the Clarke trap and build a good and proper facility. I don't think that's the worst idea. Anyone from the area though, feel free to chime in.

Rumour is they wanted the Lions practice facility. Lions wouldn't give it up, and six-five also wanted Surrey to build the stadium which wasn't going to happen.  So, they took the offer from the city that would build it.

So a few things:

1-Great that they are meeting deadlines and not making vain promises (ahem Bunbury-Montreal)

2-That is not a little bit of information, it is a lot. Location, stadium site, pitch--all of that allows you to think about local communities, stakeholders, government involvement. Create buzz, get feedback, build on the momentum.

2b-People arguing about travel times by car to the site when every human in the Fraser Valley just accepts car travel as a given and puts up with it almost always.

3-Stadium design is important. They say they are going to use the same European company that did the laminated wood in Langford. Fine, but let's be honest: those stands are only okay, they are not great. And they are stands, not a stadium design; in fact there are design flaws. If they don't have a design team involved, and not just a stand-maker, local politicians and their own guys, it may have similar flaws. 

3b-Not a good area for amenities such as local pubs, so you may have to reinforce concessions at the stadium.

4-Name: since the CPL has not opted for place names mostly but more symbolic ones, this is the path, and not a hard one. Meaning it will be the "Vancouver" team but won't be called that, and a team in Langley near Surrey in the Fraser Valley, but won't be called that. I suppose they'll consult with Macron as well on establishing both a name and a colour scheme to differentiate from and complement other CPL teams. Name, colours, branding, shirt, merch.

5-It is far enough away from the Whitecaps to not get them too nervous, it frames the soccer market in the Lower Mainland. But it will still be interesting to see if their poor product on the field and shifting demographics cuts into the Caps attendance with the CPL team "helping".

6-Easy travel for the other CPL teams, in fact two airports fairly near. Then the regional rivalry with Pacific, allowing same day travel there and back even. 

7-Does nine teams mean a balanced schedule of 32 matches and how does scheduling accomodate that?

8-Considering how this has gone, and how Saskatoon is going, I am a bit confused as to why the Saskatoon bid is going so slowly. What have they been doing wrong? Also: will this be the blueprint for the Clanachan bid in Windsor, or is he way behind when it comes to ownership?

Finally, flag of Langley: not bad, some things to work with there wouldn't you say?

Flag of Langley

Edited by Unnamed Trialist