Metro Vancouver CPL Club

10 hours ago, ted said:

Well, while I think PFC would be doing better attendance-wise at a renovated Royal Athletic Park in downtown Victoria, they are are certainly making it work in suburban Langford.

They aren't yet at the level of long-term (break-even) sustainability. No team, except maybe Halifax, is. It remains to be seen if they can get there. I'm not hoping against it, but experience elsewhere suggests it's not that likely. But Victoria has a few things going for it that may overcome the location issues. There isn't a lot of high level live sports competition in the market. They don't compete with the Whitecaps for in-person viewers. Victoria probably has a higher level of city pride due to its relative isolation, and a general us-against-the-rest-of-B.C. mentality. On the other hand, it's a government town...so we'll see.     

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

They aren't yet at the level of long-term (break-even) sustainability.

Yeah, and...?!?

If there had been no pandemic or it was now 2025 the numbers might be concerning. To expect any team in the league to be at that level in 2022 is absurd. They are surviving and building towards that at a reasonable rate.

1 hour ago, ted said:

Yeah, and...?!?

If there had been no pandemic or it was now 2025 the numbers might be concerning. To expect any team in the league to be at that level in 2022 is absurd. They are surviving and building towards that at a reasonable rate.

You ignored the rest of the post, which was a response to you writing that they are 'making it work', which I took to be an implication that Pacific is on the way to being sustainable. At this point, none of the teams are, and we still can't be certain any of them will be in the future. Inflated real estate and construction costs are leading to location compromises that will at the very least hamper the growth of the league. No need to be offended.

21 hours ago, Ansem said:

Im not from that region but if this tweet is accurate, they might be on to something 

Lots of development in the area, about 2 blocks away construction has been in progress the last couple of years on this 74 acre project and will have commercial/pubs etc as well :

latimer heights.png

A Vibrant Urban Hub

At the heart of Latimer Heights is Latimer Village, a walkable, transit-oriented neighbourhood that will include a modern business hub and a European-esque village bustling with boutique-style shops, trendy restaurants, cozy cafes and other services. It’s a first for Langley — grab an iced latté, do some shopping, pick up dinner. Whatever you crave, it’s just steps from home at the Towers.

Edited by CDNFootballer

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So a few things:

3b-Not a good area for amenities such as local pubs, so you may have to reinforce concessions at the stadium.

Excellent points.

Re 3b :The Latimer Heights development about a couple blocks away from the Stadium location solves that, looks to be in the final stages and near completion. There's also an existing bar/pub a similar distance that's been there a few years and another development the other side of 200th a couple of blocks south.

I know a guy who knows a guy at the LEC. Take it for what it's worth, but he says the guys says 8000 seats errrr capacity. 

Can I just say, that it's is about time that south of the Fraser starts to get some attention.  Between the AHL, WHL, and now CPL, these groups are finally seeing this area for the untapped potential of the youth here. We have the growth, the young people, and are growing a lot. Surrey will soon pass Vancouver in population.   I know those leagues aren't big leagues, but they are slowly building the attention for this area. 

Edited by RJB

I guess I'll throw in my two cents: To get to IG Field in Winnipeg it takes a  20 min+ drive from anywhere north of Portage Ave which is basically half the city. The stadium is literally in the "suburbs" of the U of M campus - seriously, it takes a good 10 mins just to walk to the freaking admin building from IG - and is surrounded by acres of parking lots, an abandoned golf course and a 100 acre "SmartPark", whatever the eff that is. You can't get any deeper into the burbs than that. There are no amenities outside the stadium unless you want to walk 20 mins to/from an "Italian" pub in a strip mall, which a few of us crazies actually do before games. Next to zero promotion of Valour FC was done until this past year. I'll admit this is just imo but from what I could tell 90% of the city had no clue we even had a team the first two years, now its probably only 85%. And it's freaking WINNIPEG ffs! Any talk of soccer here is minimal, and what is talked about has very little to do with what's going on locally and pretty much everything to do with what's happening in the league of your motherland, or fatherland, or cousin's wife's sisterland. And yet, attendance isn't half bad. Okay it's bad, but not horrible, relatively speaking anyways. And the supporters are loyal and extremely dedicated and hard working. From what I gather, ya'll will do great, you can't really do worse than Winnipeg can you?

edit: ...and we won't even attempt to touch on the bus situation here in the Peg😬

Edited by PegCityCam

Why are Vancouver people crying? Don't they already have a team?

They've got the Whitecaps, W2, the Rovers and they think they deserve a CPL team over a community just as big and growing at a faster rate with very little to offer from a sports and entertainment aspect. That's how self centered and arrogant these people are.

Edited by SpursFlu

10 hours ago, RJB said:

I know a guy who knows a guy at the LEC. Take it for what it's worth, but he says the guys says 8000 seats errrr capacity. 

Can I just say, that it's is about time that south of the Fraser starts to get some attention.  Between the AHL, WHL, and now CPL, these groups are finally seeing this area for the untapped potential of the youth here. We have the growth, the young people, and are growing a lot. Surrey will soon pass Vancouver in population.   I know those leagues aren't big leagues, but they are slowly building the attention for this area. 

It has a lot to do with S of Fraser believing in itself. Not ceding cultural -economic-leisure primacy to Vancouver. Not acting like suburbs, actually creating urban amenities. Also: requesting provincial and federal funding for projects the population warrants instead of accepting VAN centrality. 

I am cautiously optimistic this will be successful.

I live ~20 minutes away in new westminter. Convenient just off the freeway, but parking can be a bitch, especially if there are things happening at the LEC (the one time I went to a giants game there I had to park about a 10-minute walk away). Langley soccer community is huge, I just hope they didn't lose a big market of fans by not finding a spot in Surrey.

On 4/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, Cicero said:

You ignored the rest of the post, which was a response to you writing that they are 'making it work',

I didn't bother quoting your whole post (as I an doing now) because it was irrelevant to my point.

Your assessment is not supported by the facts and is, at best, premature.

13 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

...I live ~20 minutes away in new westminter. Convenient just off the freeway, but parking can be a bitch, ...

That's kind of why they needed to be in a location with efficient mass transit such as the SkyTrain if they are really aiming for regular 8000 crowds. This location isn't suitable for crowds of that scale in access and parking lot terms, but they no doubt know that. Suspect it's only viewed as a stop gap solution and they hope to take advantage of a 2026 World Cup related practice facility to be built elsewhere later in a more suitable location. 

Beyond that angle what I find interesting so far is the apparent absence of an organized fan group. Guess having people like that front and centre was always Paul Beirne's big thing along with talking up pro/rel in marketing terms and he's no longer involved now, but it does leave a nagging doubt as to whether the response to this particular expansion announcement has been tepid at best in a Y9 sort of way.