Metro Vancouver CPL Club

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

The Pitt Meadows Harbour hasn't restarted since covid but I think both ways from Victoria might be around 300-350. Then a whatever Uber to the stadium. 

Pretty sure it's construction related.  Haven't upgraded the habour plane area yet, no short term plans to either.

8 hours ago, ted said:

Assuming you travel by yourself. We usually travel in groups to make the ferry more affordable. :)

I'm traveling from Vancouver to Victoria and back alone this weekend, 62 car + 18 a person + 17 reservation + surcharge, that's 99 each way, 198$. 

Book a return trip think it's cheaper. Book well in advance you can choose supersaver fares and it's 20$ cheaper. You could avoid reserving, leave early. Add 3 passengers at peak prices and reserving and it's less than 40 each. Kids under 12 cheaper. If it's a weekday seniors travel free. I went two weeks ago with my mom and our Monday return was 79 total with reservation. 

If you fly from either side you have to pay parking, pay transit when there, you then have no vehicle to enjoy your stay.

By car, you pay gas, if you're going stadium to stadium, it's about 80km each way (most fans in Victoria don't live that far out though, even if you're living in Central Langley it's closer to the ferry too. 

Another "advantage" of the ferry is you can eat relaxedly, your not on the road the whole time, I take sandwiches from home.

Flying: there are fans who do it for games at BC Place, for the Lions too, used to see it from Nanaimo. 

They key for scheduling, as I've said, is to allow the teams to get to their late ferry home and not have to overnight. 

On 6/9/2022 at 2:38 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

While I prefer club names based on actual cities (or even neighbourhoods) rather than the silly CPL naming convention, there already is a Vancouver FC (see https://www.facebook.com/VancouverFc/). The existing club could get that trademark registration overturned pretty easily if they wanted to contest it.

In all likelihood, the existing club will just roll over and play dead, but it seems reckless for the new Langley CPL club to open themselves up to a potential lawsuit or payout.

Also, I find it fairly disingenuous for a club in Langley, located on the outskirts of unamalgamated Metro Vancouver, to call themselves "Vancouver FC."

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm traveling from Vancouver to Victoria and back alone this weekend, 62 car + 18 a person + 17 reservation + surcharge, that's 99 each way, 198$. 

Book a return trip think it's cheaper. Book well in advance you can choose supersaver fares and it's 20$ cheaper. You could avoid reserving, leave early. Add 3 passengers at peak prices and reserving and it's less than 40 each. Kids under 12 cheaper. If it's a weekday seniors travel free. I went two weeks ago with my mom and our Monday return was 79 total with reservation. 

If you fly from either side you have to pay parking, pay transit when there, you then have no vehicle to enjoy your stay.

By car, you pay gas, if you're going stadium to stadium, it's about 80km each way (most fans in Victoria don't live that far out though, even if you're living in Central Langley it's closer to the ferry too. 

Another "advantage" of the ferry is you can eat relaxedly, your not on the road the whole time, I take sandwiches from home.

Flying: there are fans who do it for games at BC Place, for the Lions too, used to see it from Nanaimo. 

They key for scheduling, as I've said, is to allow the teams to get to their late ferry home and not have to overnight. 

My eyes glazed over after your second sentence. Fuck I hate BC

7 hours ago, Blue and White Army said:

While I prefer club names based on actual cities (or even neighbourhoods) rather than the silly CPL naming convention, there already is a Vancouver FC (see https://www.facebook.com/VancouverFc/). The existing club could get that trademark registration overturned pretty easily if they wanted to contest it.

Also, I find it fairly disingenuous for a club in Langley, located on the outskirts of unamalgamated Metro Vancouver, to call themselves "Vancouver FC."

People in Langley don't have any problem with being from Vancouver, I don't see why "real" Vancouverites needed to be so concerned about their feelings. Like, yes, well, you folk, brand yourselves differently because you really don't feel like Vancouverites, now do you? 

Well, actually, we do. We're fine with it. I spoke to City of Langley employees, and not one seemed bothered about being the Vancouver CPL team. 

My family, BTW, has been in Vancouver since 1906.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

People in Langley don't have any problem with being from Vancouver, I don't see why "real" Vancouverites needed to be so concerned about their feelings. Like, yes, well, you folk, brand yourselves differently because you really don't feel like Vancouverites, now do you? 

Well, actually, we do. We're fine with it. I spoke to City of Langley employees, and not one seemed bothered about being the Vancouver CPL team. 

Its usually a snobby downtowner mentality 

About the rights to the name, the point is that the name "Vancouver" alone is not subject to rights. Maybe FCV, or VFC can be registered, but you can't register and control the rights to whatsoever iteration of the term itself.

It is not like the Olympics who do control their name, to the point of ridiculousness.

So "Valley Vancouver", say, would be fine, and dozens more. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I am not from British Columbia but I really like the name 'Vancouver Valley FC' - it seems accurate enough and has the city name in which the ownership seem to want. 'The Valleys' isn't a bad nickname, and then then you've got the potential local rivalry where the concepts of Ocean (Pacific) vs Mountain (Whitecaps) vs Valley? - or is that a bit gimmicky? 

With all these things, time is the best measure, some team names seem stupid even 20 years on whereas some slowly grow on you, the main objective with a name in my opinion is to get local fans to buy in as much as possible.

8 minutes ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

I am not from British Columbia but I really like the name 'Vancouver Valley FC' - it seems accurate enough and has the city name in which the ownership seem to want. 'The Valleys' isn't a bad nickname, and then then you've got the potential local rivalry where the concepts of Ocean (Pacific) vs Mountain (Whitecaps) vs Valley? - or is that a bit gimmicky? 

With all these things, time is the best measure, some team names seem stupid even 20 years on whereas some slowly grow on you, the main objective with a name in my opinion is to get local fans to buy in as much as possible.

I appreciate the effort but there is no such thing as Vancouver Valley. It's Fraser Valley. Vancouver Valley United might at least make sense but the Vancouver and Valley become less United everyday. They're just so different and no name is going to convince Vancouver people to go out to Langley to watch a soccer game. They really don't need to. They have a million people in that area to pull from

Edited by SpursFlu

On 8/7/2022 at 5:44 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have absolutely no problem with Langley having the Vancouver CPL club, but I find the name "Vancouver FC" an awkward fit, as it doesn't well define the community that hosts the club. It's not downtown snobbery, but rather wondering if Langley has an inferiority complex. Why not celebrate Langley/the Fraser Valley?

There's bound to eventually be a second CPL club in the region, especially if the CPL ultimately creates regional second divisions, so it would be odd to have a club on the outskirts of the city naming itself after the entire region if a second club closer to the core might be created later. "[city name] FC" works best if you're the only/first professional club in the city. It's like creating a "Plymouth FC" when there's already Plymouth Argyle.

Even if there isn't ever a second Metro Vancouver club in the CPL, there's already Vancouver Whitecaps, with "Vancouver" in their name, playing in Vancouver-proper. "Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Vancouver FC" in the Voyageurs Cup is going to sound quite clunky.

I'd suggest this new CPL club needs to do a better job forming its own identity, otherwise people (especially outside of immediate area) will have a hard time caring about it. Again, I do like that they're putting an actual city in their name, and I typically do prefer the "[city name] FC" naming convention, but "Langley FC" or "Fraser Valley FC" would probably be a better fit.

And "Vancouver FC" as a term can absolutely be trademarked. You don't think "Toronto FC", "Cincinnati FC", etc. are trademarked?

Edited by Blue and White Army

36 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

I have absolutely no problem with Langley having the Vancouver CPL club, but I find the name "Vancouver FC" an awkward fit, as it doesn't well define the community that hosts the club. It's not downtown snobbery, but rather wondering if Langley has an inferiority complex. Why not celebrate Langley/the Fraser Valley?

There's bound to eventually be a second CPL club in the region, especially if the CPL ultimately creates regional second divisions, so it would be odd to have a club on the outskirts of the city naming itself after the entire region if a second club closer to the core might be created later. Just my opinion, as someone who has spent most of their life in the City of Vancouver.

Even if there isn't ever a second Metro Vancouver club in the CPL, there's already Vancouver Whitecaps, with "Vancouver" in their name, playing in Vancouver-proper. "Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Vancouver FC" in the Voyageurs Cup is going to sound quite clunky. I'd suggest this new CPL club needs to do a better job forming its own identity. Again, I do like that they're putting a city in their name, and I typically do prefer the "[city name] FC" naming convention, but "Langley FC" or "Fraser Valley FC" would probably be a better fit.

And "Vancouver FC" as a term can absolutely be trademarked. You don't think "Toronto FC", "Cincinnati FC", etc. are trademarked?

All true, I'd agree. I prefer names that are not ashamed of being from where you are.

But Rob Friend has said repeatedly that it's a headache to say Pacific FC, then have to say "its Victoria" all the time. And their license for this CPL club is for Vancouver or Greater Vancouver.

His idea is that it'd be a wasted opportunity to not brand it Vancouver. So they're going to put that in the name, naturally or shoehorned I suppose. 

Which is why I threw out Valley Vancouver, but admittedly it's not great. 

There's another problem in the valley, which is if you brand Langley, the Surrey folk might not identify, so you brand generically, Vancouver, so they all identify. 

I don't mind two Vancouvers in the Voyageurs Cup as it's cool and there's a long history of such rivalries, especially in England. Imagine a few thousand of the CPL supporters at BC Place or the Southsiders with a section in Langley, it works. 

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There's another problem in the valley, which is if you brand Langley, the Surrey folk might not identify, so you brand generically, Vancouver, so they all identify. 

I don't mind two Vancouvers in the Voyageurs Cup as it's cool and there's a long history of such rivalries, especially in England. Imagine a few thousand of the CPL supporters at BC Place or the Southsiders with a section in Langley, it works. 

If you want to get technical, the Fraser Valley includes the City of Vancouver and Surrey. But the regional political entity, the Fraser Valley Regional District, includes neither Surrey nor even Langley. So "Fraser Valley" is indeed a tricky term.

I appreciate and prefer the move to real city names, and appreciate the CPL wanting "Vancouver" in a club name. But, again, despite that I usually prefer the "[city name] FC" naming convention, it seems wrong to use "Vancouver FC" when there's already a pro club with Vancouver in the name. Too same-y. Needs a nickname after the city name, as much as it pains me to say it.

Perhaps this is a reaction to the CPL's northern Toronto club, York United, initially creating a name (York9) geared entirely toward potential fans in York County to the north, that club having poor attendance, and eventually rebranding with a subtle nod to Toronto.

Edited by Blue and White Army

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I appreciate the effort but there is no such thing as Vancouver Valley. It's Fraser Valley. Vancouver Valley United might at least make sense but the Vancouver and Valley become less United everyday. They're just so different and no name is going to convince Vancouver people to go out to Langley to watch a soccer game. They really don't need to. They have a million people in that area to pull from

Fair enough, in that case I guess the only way to shoehorn Vancouver into the name and it still to be accurate is to go with 'Vancouver Metros FC' or 'Vancouver Metro FC' in reference to Langley being in the Vancouver metropolitan area. 

It seems unlikely based on insider information but what are opinions on the 'BC' name such as BC valleys FC similar to BC lions? 

7 minutes ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

Fair enough, in that case I guess the only way to shoehorn Vancouver into the name and it still to be accurate is to go with 'Vancouver Metros FC' or 'Vancouver Metro FC' in reference to Langley being in the Vancouver metropolitan area. 

It seems unlikely based on insider information but what are opinions on the 'BC' name such as BC valleys FC similar to BC lions? 

I think they think that BC appropriates a space when Pacific is equally BC. But then again, in the NFL they do it, and MLB as well. When there are multiple teams in a region, and I doubt the Astros feel the Rangers are appropriating unfairly. 

BC has no international recognition, it is a complicated name and it's value is far lower than Vancouver's is. And that is what Friend seems to want, to have the CPL Vancouver team. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

BC has no international recognition, it is a complicated name and it's value is far lower than Vancouver's is. And that is what Friend seems to want, to have the CPL Vancouver team. 

Sure. I don't mind Vancouver being in the club name, but I think "Vancouver FC" doesn't work as the region's second pro club. "Vancouver [nickname] FC" would probably work better and help the club differentiate itself from the Whitecaps, IMHO.

But, what nickname?

17 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Results of a random office poll are in (Surrey office with folks from Vancouver to Hope represented).. and order of votes we have:

1. West Coast FC

2. Vancouver Valley FC

3. Skytrain FC (!!?)

4. Coastal FC

tied for 5th: Fraser Valley FC, Valley United, Sporting Vancouver, and.. Anything-but-Surrey FC :)

Lower Mainland City

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

West Coast FC would be tight. Hope they go with that. West Coast FC vs Pacific FC. I like it.

Vancouver Valley FC sounds clunky. Skytrain FC is a joke of a name. Coastal FC would be fine, but West Coast FC is a better, more descriptive name. 

FYI, there's already a Coastal FC in Surrey, but I'm sure rights could be purchased.

Honestly, none of those ideas above excite me.

35 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

FYI, there's already a Coastal FC in Surrey, but I'm sure rights could be purchased.

Honestly, none of those ideas above excite me.

I knew I heard that name somewhere before. Maybe that's why it seemed reasonable. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

West Coast FC would be tight. Hope they go with that. West Coast FC vs Pacific FC. I like it.

Vancouver Valley FC sounds clunky. Skytrain FC is a joke of a name. Coastal FC would be fine, but West Coast FC is a better, more descriptive name. 

Friend and co seem to think that the CPL way of doing things, with Cavalry, Forge, Valour, Pacific, is not the way to go here. 

Someone remind me the original logic of the CPL doing these more poetic non-geographical names?

They seemed to want to link club names to local "identities" and/or supporters group working names. For example per the Halifax release:

"The club’s name was inspired by the famous grounds at Halifax Common and the historic Wanderers Amateur Athletic Club. Established in 1882, this was the first athletic club to represent Halifax in sports competitions across the country.

The name “Wanderers” was recently coined by a group of passionate local supporters who adopted the historic moniker to help lead the efforts in attracting a Canadian Premier League club to the city and playing at this ideal downtown location."

Source: https://canpl.ca/article/hfx-wanderers-football-club-joins-canadian-premier-league

The only quotes I've read from them seems to point to the fact that attaching the name Vancouver comes with a certain amount of cache to people outside of the Lower Mainland and they can't really find a way to explain to people that Langley Fraser Valley is actually a place. Considering going back they were going to go with Port City 🤔 clearly these guys have no idea. Vancouver might seem to have a great image and brand to people who spent a few days there or click on Google image but for people in the Valley it's a big thanks but no thanks. It's kinda like a model that we actually know personally and know they're crazy and annoying and you should see her without makeup and filters

Edited by SpursFlu