Metro Vancouver CPL Club

Exactly. So from a marketing perspective, if your fan base considers itself from 'Victoria' even if they come from Langford, then it works. I don't know if that's the case or not, but I do know that people from Langley and surrounding area generally don't consider themselves Vancouverites. So every time they hear that it will seem weird. Just a little more friction that could keep your customers from buying in. Very few actual Vancouverites will attend games in this location, and it will be decades, if ever, before any CPL team starts garnering significant international support. So the more widespread recognition of the name 'Vancouver' is irrelevant.

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The whole We Are Vancouver kinda reminds of that weird video where that women is trying to convince her little boy that he actually DOES want to wear a dress to school 

How many times do we need to apologize... We are sorry for the mental trauma this has caused you throughout your life. We know now that we shouldn't have filmed you and distributed it. 

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

How many times do we need to apologize... We are sorry for the mental trauma this has caused you throughout your life. We know now that we shouldn't have filmed you and distributed it. 

Ahhh that wasn't me I might be a bit immature at times but believe it or not im actually in my 40s... but you seem to be admitting to something a little strange and potentially criminal. Just a bit creepy my man

Edited by SpursFlu

12 hours ago, Cicero said:

Exactly. So from a marketing perspective, if your fan base considers itself from 'Victoria' even if they come from Langford, then it works. I don't know if that's the case or not, but I do know that people from Langley and surrounding area generally don't consider themselves Vancouverites. So every time they hear that it will seem weird. Just a little more friction that could keep your customers from buying in. Very few actual Vancouverites will attend games in this location, and it will be decades, if ever, before any CPL team starts garnering significant international support. So the more widespread recognition of the name 'Vancouver' is irrelevant.

I disagree about who considers themselves a Vancouverite. 

Any person from Cloverdale or Bowen Island or Delta visiting cousins in Alberta says they are from Vancouver. And further afield. 

So the name is relevant for projecting the team in a national league. 

In any case, where do the Vancouver Giants play? Is them being called that cutting into their brand identity and fan base?

You know what really annoys me about this... whether people in the Fraser Valley think they live in Vancouver or not. Oh on vacation they say they live in Vancouver because they don't feel like taking 10 minutes to give a stranger a geography lesson. Ok whatever but the whole " we are Vancouver" sounds to me that they're saying people in the Valley have some kind of chip on their shoulder and want to prove to people in Vancouver once and for all that they're just as Vancouver as the they are. I can assure you this is not a thing. In fact it's just going to play in to snobby Vancouver people's attitude that Valley people are 2nd class citizens who wish they were Vancouver. Just on the weekend I was sitting next to a group and one said yah I have family in Aldergrove and another said we'll yah thats Aldergrove and they all started snickering. So you're setting Valley people up to be a punchline for Vancouver people as if there is some kinda point to prove that I cam assure they're not trying to prove 

Also the Vancouver Giants thing. The Giants moved to Vancouver after establishing their brand in Vancouver. The owner Ron Toigo was not shy about the fact that he was not at all thrilled about having being forced move to the Fraser Valley. He really went there kicking and screaming and only recently have I heard him coming around and acknowledging that it's not all bad. I think if he looked at the big picture and not trying to be mister big swinger he would change the name to Fraser Valley Giants. But that wouldn't sound as cool when you're trying to impress the boys over at the Vancouver Country Club

Also I'm not big on a marketing campaign to launch a team that kinda seems like an attempt to troll somebody

I'm not sure who they're trolling but it seems like the intention 

Edited by SpursFlu

As someone not native to BC, and after seeing the demographics for myself….this is  weird that they wouldn’t find another brand name like “Pacfic”.

Yes Langley is considered Metro Vancouver, but the whole “We Are Vancouver” does sound like TFC branding which doesn’t make sense for them. 

@SpursFluis spot on. I remember going to Cuba 10 years ago to a party resort, and the entire resort was filled with people from the GReater Toronto Area. I remember conversations like “where you from….Toronto…naw man where you really from….Pickering…..nahhh that’s not Toronto, you’re not from the city bro”….and I laughed because I couldn’t deny it. 

Unless there plan is to eventually go to the city, but if not there’s gotta be another name. The branding will never make sense.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

As someone not native to BC, and after seeing the demographics for myself….this is  weird that they wouldn’t find another brand name like “Pacfic”.

Yes Langley is considered Metro Vancouver, but the whole “We Are Vancouver” does sound like TFC branding which doesn’t make sense for them. 

@SpursFluis spot on. I remember going to Cuba 10 years ago to a party resort, and the entire resort was filled with people from the GReater Toronto Area. I remember conversations like “where you from….Toronto…naw man where you really from….Pickering…..nahhh that’s not Toronto, you’re not from the city bro”….and I laughed because I couldn’t deny it. 

Unless there plan is to eventually go to the city, but if not there’s gotta be another name. The branding will never make sense.

Looks like like the league has made a shift in thinking. 

Don't be surprised if the other teams start adding their city to their names.

31 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

That's pretty ballsy to do that *literally* in the Whitecaps home turf. I'm still not convinced by the naming/branding for Vancouver vice Fraser Valley, but I've gotta say, they've got moxy. 

To be fair - they are just tenants and the landlord doesn't care at the end of the day 😉

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think they need/want the Vancouver angle to tie into what's happening with 2026. The Langley Events Centre will probably wind up being one of the training facilities.

Yes we should base the team name on not having a World Cup team and it's fans for 2 weeks in 2026 having to deal with the reality that they're not actually in Vancouver. That would be traumatizing.

Edited by SpursFlu

• 1 month later...

Made a little visit to the Langley Events Centre today and learnt a few things... 

Since I'm on my phone can't do details, but have to say: it's a large facility, with lots of parking on all sides close in and further but not far. The pitch they've designated for this is large, they say it's the newest of 3 adjacent, all artificial turf. 

No grass pitches here, maybe a 5 min drive away though. 

On the entire west side nearer to 200th, the main road, you have 25 yards deep to put stands full field length, plus could even go into the pitch as the sidelines are broad too.

There's a large field house with capacity as they mostly play amateur rugby here, that means even larger rosters. It's on the SE corner. And would impede putting stands all down the east side., which also has a broad paved area to put stands. 

The end zones are large ie for rugby; you could put stands on the grass at either end, otherwise they would be too far back. 

Then I got info on what the pitch condition is, plans for winter cobstruction... But have a ferry to catch.... 

CONTINUED.... 

Apparently this pitch was  rather expensive and acc. to City of Langley employees it was not put down right. I couldn't see it but they say the turf is rippled in areas and on one side the pieces aren't stitched together right, they come apart. But I figured out it was along a sideline so it wasn't affecting playing surface. Still, they said they couldn't figure out why the city didn't get it fixed as it was still under warranty. 

They didn't know anything about the schedule, didn't know about the stands, the team, nothing. When I suggested they were going to brand it as a Vancouver team that didn't bother anyone. 

I drove there from the centre of Vancouver in 40 minutes. Then I drove to the ferry and that was slower but maybe it being Friday. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Was calculating road trips. Pacific would leave Langford, hour to ferry, there an hour beforehand, 1h 35 ferry ride, hour to Langley, all on the safe side. Under 5 hours. A fan would cut it shorter. 

To avoid spending the night on either side, games in a BC rivalry might be played at 5pm, as 6 pm might be too late to catch last sailings. It'd make sense for all involved to play at say 4pm.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

49 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was calculating road trips. Pacific would leave Langford, hour to ferry, there an hour beforehand, 1h 35 ferry ride, hour to Langley, all on the safe side. Under 5 hours. A fan would cut it shorter. 

To avoid spending the night on either side, games in a BC rivalry might be played at 5pm, as 6 pm might be too late to catch last sailings. It'd make sense for all involved to play at say 4pm.

Harbour air to Pitt Meadows is the way to go. Probably a 10 min drive fromm Harbour air terminal to the LEC. Don't bother with the dumb ferry if you dont have to. $200 for a car both ways.. ridiculous 

You could leave Victoria and be sitting at the LEC eating a smokie, drinking a beer in under an hour 

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Harbour air to Pitt Meadows is the way to go. Probably a 10 min drive fromm Harbour air terminal to the LEC. Don't bother with the dumb ferry if you dont have to. $200 for a car both ways.. ridiculous 

You could leave Victoria and be sitting at the LEC eating a smokie, drinking a beer in under an hour 

Would you mind breaking down the comparative costs? I actually would like to know...not being a dick...just curious.

6 hours ago, longlugan said:

Would you mind breaking down the comparative costs? I actually would like to know...not being a dick...just curious.

The Pitt Meadows Harbour hasn't restarted since covid but I think both ways from Victoria might be around 300-350. Then a whatever Uber to the stadium.