Metro Vancouver CPL Club

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Mostly Peter Schaad's love affair with marketing. He loooooves to have names that "tell a story", despite that story rarely being "where the club is actually located".

The problem is that there is no good story in this case. 

Or else no good story that a broad enough base could get into. You can't use the Fort part of Fort Langley as it is terribly old-fashioned and no one cares much about it. You can't use any name of any place in the valley, because you want to draw fans from all of them. Only maybe Valley itself, the Fraser, which are just geographical. Valley, besides, is soft, valleys tend to be soft.

Pacific, as extremely generic as it is, does resonate with us left-coasters. If I am not mistaken, Pacific FC is the furthest west pro soccer club in the world (maybe even any pro sports team), it's name works.

This name mongering is disturbing. Let's be more United so we can watch in the City without Wandering all over the name map which is not at all Sporting. Get Real and let's avoid being INTERrupted in an argument. Too much RED BULL will do that to you and it SOUNDS very much in opposition to VALOUR and honour. 

NAME: Metro Vancouver Sustainable Cooperation FC

This name prevents mentioning or making inference to any possible ethnic, colonial, or exclusive monikers. This name allows fans to go to a match and leave happy knowing that there are no arguments to be made to offend a fellow fan. The green pitch symbolizes a sustainable atmosphere and a pledge by fans to not litter.  By cooperating with home and away fans alike, the club aims to keep people entertained, but not so passionately drunk on a club identity so as to possibly utter a litany of obscene curses and filth after imbibing several local brews.

Take Me Home

Take me home, where I was born,

Metro Vancouver, Sustainable Cooperation,

Calm and happy,

Take me home.

There. No arguing, no judging, and no anger.

MVSC!  clap, clap, clapclapclap!

Grow-op FC would have been the obvious name for a Langley entry back in 2019. They are definitely far enough away to have a separate market to draw from but with Vancouver as a host city for the World Cup in 2026 it would be a strange decision not to tie into Vancouver branding at this point. CanPL and Mediapro appear to view that tournament as something this will be transformative for soccer in Canada.

7 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

This name mongering is disturbing. Let's be more United so we can watch in the City without Wandering all over the name map which is not at all Sporting. Get Real and let's avoid being INTERrupted in an argument. Too much RED BULL will do that to you and it SOUNDS very much in opposition to VALOUR and honour. 

Steve Patterson?  Is that you?

It seems strange to me that the same guys who pretty much nailed it with Pacific would find themselves in a very similar situation with the Fraser Valley team and not try and duplicate the approach but instead go in the complete other direction. Thats why I kinda won't believe Vancouver FC until I see it. It almost seems too dumb to be real

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

It seems strange to me that the same guys who pretty much nailed it with Pacific would find themselves in a very similar situation with the Fraser Valley team and not try and duplicate the approach but instead go in the complete other direction. Thats why I kinda won't believe Vancouver FC until I see it. It almost seems too dumb to be real

Friend is on the record saying he regrets Pacific. You might think he nailed it. He doesn't.

22 minutes ago, masster said:

The fact the name hasn't even been announced (whatever it may be) for a team starting play in 8 months is concerning to me. These guys should have been collecting season ticket deposits month ago! Build a mailing list. Start delivering regular news, stadium updates, anything!! 

I keep half expecting them to announce the team won`t start until 2024 now.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Friend is on the record saying he regrets Pacific. You might think he nailed it. He doesn't.

Clearly.. I think he'll soon know the true feeling of regret 

Pacific is probably the best image brand in the CPL. Wanderers and Cavalry are also right there. The only bad are/were York9 and Atletico (but that falls under the is what it is category)

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, masster said:

The fact the name hasn't even been announced (whatever it may be) for a team starting play in 8 months is concerning to me. These guys should have been collecting season ticket deposits month ago! Build a mailing list. Start delivering regular news, stadium updates, anything!! 

I agree, but we've seen late announcements before. At Ottawa was announced in January for that season.

There was something I half-learnt nosing around at Starlight a few weeks ago, at least it was inferred by those I spoke to (related to the city). The new stands  there now did not properly go through a public tender, or else they found a way to fudge it. Maybe it was partly privately paid or something, allowing them to get around standard calls for tender? I am not sure, in any case: they could not say who is doing the new stands on the hydro pole side, because you cannot just hand pick a supplier to a public institution for anything of this cost. This, if it involved Mayor Stu, would not be surprising, he has that respectable shyster aura about him. Odd that the city council went along.

I asked Langley employees when out there last Friday if they'd heard anything about a public tender for the stands. They hadn't. I even looked at their website but then, I am no expert on these things, I may be totally off. 

I'd imagine they'd want to ensure the due process can be done and the requirement be fulfilled before finalising anything. In April the mayor said they wanted to do a pop-up model like found around the world and that they'd have to move quickly.

Looking for more info (and there is none since April), I see they are a host for the World u-17 Hockey Challenge, this November. Right there at the Events Centre. So there is another case of a municipality with a policy to raise its profile through sport, like Langford. I like these kinds of municipalities, as long as they are not doing anything outside of the legal-financial box.

More, related. The CEBL basketball Fraser Valley Bandits play out of the Events Centre as well, that venue has a spectator capacity over 5000. I saw a lot of kids going to BB clinics when out there, suggesting having that "pro" team is driving interest amongst kids. Let's hope the same enthusiasm happens with soccer out there.

30 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Japan is further west.  Directions are all relative.

The standard is the International Date Line that runs through the Pacific. 

Pacific FC is the furthest west pro sports team in the world.

But yes, you are right, borders, maps, authority, regulations, pronouns, definitions of fatness, age of consent, they are all relative. Red lights too. Go for it. 

Looking at bid for tenders is a sign of a pathetic life, but I see that Surrey has a call open for bleachers for 2500 people, for a new outdoor facility beside the North Surrey Sport and Ice Complex. It apparently emulates the stadium with a track in Langley, McLeod.

That area had been rumoured for a CPL team, back when they were talking about Port City (assuming the Port of Surrey would be a sponsor or something).

https://new.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/page.aspx/en/bpm/process_manage_extranet/4939

Back to work, sigh.

We are going to have to teach a few people what West means. 

And how it is different from "over there where the sun goes down". The Spanish have words for that too, Levante and Poniente, which refers to the Cardinal points. 

Pacific FC, the furthest west pro sports team in the world, I'm right about this. It is not a bad marketing angle either.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We are going to have to teach a few people what West means. 

And how it is different from "over there where the sun goes down". The Spanish have words for that too, Levante and Poniente, which refers to the Cardinal points. 

Pacific FC, the furthest west pro sports team in the world, I'm right about this. It is not a bad marketing angle either.

I could make the point that how we define "pro" sports is also relative to further complicate things. NCAA? USPL? Alaska has teams that some might call pro or semi pro in those leagues.

Never mind your eurocentric definition of where west starts and stops...

All of which makes for an awkward disclaimer around the Pacific FC marketing strategy.

Geography - it's complicated.