Metro Vancouver CPL Club

18 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

This is the same thinking that went in to building in the suburbs for MLS, and resulted in their lowest attended clubs. So I guess it depends on what you think a successful attendance is.

But Langley isn't a suburb of Vancouver. It's a suburb of Surrey 

So its kinda like building a stadium on the edge of a rapidly developing city. Kinda smart

If you held up a map of the Lower Mainland and with a pair of scissors cut thru the burns bog then thru the Faser River and up the Pitt River. What is left? A stadium in the middle of a million plus person market, fastest growing in Canada, youngest demo in BC with very little competition for entertainment dollars

Edited by SpursFlu

I know it's not a perfect comparison, but out of curiosity do any of the Vancouverites/Fraser Valleyans/Surrealists here have a sense of the attendance that the Fraser Valley Bandits have been pulling? I get that the CEBL is a different sport, different league, different salary cap system, etc., but for lack of a better benchmark I'm wondering how they're faring in the same region. 

15 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I know it's not a perfect comparison, but out of curiosity do any of the Vancouverites/Fraser Valleyans/Surrealists here have a sense of the attendance that the Fraser Valley Bandits have been pulling? I get that the CEBL is a different sport, different league, different salary cap system, etc., but for lack of a better benchmark I'm wondering how they're faring in the same region. 

They were doing good in Abbotsford but they were upset by the Canucks and have moved to the LEC. Haven't tipped off yet. They'll probably have to start from almost scratch because it's not an impossible trek but Abbotsford to Langley is a bit of a drive

The Provincial High school basketball championships a few months ago with covid still lingering sold out the LEC, I think close to 6k people. A friend who is a hardcore lacrosse guy was a season ticket holder and loved when they were at the LEC and I know the crowds were good. Since they moved to Vancouver he told me he barely goes

Edited by SpursFlu

The Vancouver Giants draw an average of 3900. I don't think lacrosse is a good comparison because there is basically zero competition if you're a lacrosse fan. What other league would be drawing your attention? For soccer, if the location isn't fun, if there is no sense of community connection, no sense of fan 'ownership', it will fail. Just dropping something in the geographic centre of a lot of people misses the point. Having lived in the Valley, Hamilton and Halifax, I can say that there is a much higher level of city loyalty in Halifax and Hamilton than there is in any city in the Valley. So they're already battling that, and then they pick a completely disconnected location? Crazy. 

Edited by Cicero

26 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The Vancouver Giants draw an average of 3900. I don't think lacrosse is a good comparison because there is basically zero competition if you're a lacrosse fan. What other league would be drawing your attention? For soccer, if the location isn't fun, if there is no sense of community connection, no sense of fan 'ownership', it will fail. Just dropping something in the geographic centre of a lot of people misses the point. Having lived in both the Valley, Hamilton and Halifax, I can say that there is a much higher level of city loyalty in Halifax and Hamilton than there is in any city in the Valley. So they're already battling that, and then they pick a completely disconnected location? Crazy. 

Not crazy 

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

They averages just under 1900 a game in 2019, the last year I think you could realistically call normal for sports.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abbynews.com/sports/fraser-valley-bandits-reflecting-on-year-one/amp/

54 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The Vancouver Giants draw an average of 3900. I don't think lacrosse is a good comparison because there is basically zero competition if you're a lacrosse fan. What other league would be drawing your attention? For soccer, if the location isn't fun, if there is no sense of community connection, no sense of fan 'ownership', it will fail. Just dropping something in the geographic centre of a lot of people misses the point. Having lived in the Valley, Hamilton and Halifax, I can say that there is a much higher level of city loyalty in Halifax and Hamilton than there is in any city in the Valley. So they're already battling that, and then they pick a completely disconnected location? Crazy. 

If you think that lacrosse is a bad comparison because there's no similar competition for it, you might not like to find out that they only averaged 3500 in their last season before moving to Vancouver, at the same place the CPL is about to play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Vancouver_Stealth_season

24 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Wait - that's it? 

Edit: Not details on the stadium (size, rendering, construction schedule . . . *anything*), but I guess now we know the location. 

That "announcement" still seems like a colossal waste of time in hindsight. 

I don't get it.

Wouldn't you want to get season ticket sales going.

Announce your team name and logo?

Maybe announce your coach?

Stadium pics or renderings?

Hopefully they do it right because I think it could a big success. Surrey Metro (Surrey, Langley, ND, WR, MR) is the 5th largest city in Canada and should surpass Calgary very soon. Lot's of upside 

It will be interesting to see if the LEC is a permanent location or if they consider it temporary. I would have to think a majority of the stadium will be built as a pop up

35 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't get it.

Wouldn't you want to get season ticket sales going.

Announce your team name and logo?

Maybe announce your coach?

Stadium pics or renderings?

The initial Friend discussion 6 weeks ago said that they'd be naming the location in about 6 weeks but the team name/logos would be about 6 weeks after that. So this isn't a surprise. I think they did say they'd have stadium renderings for this announcement, so that missing is more surprising. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Hopefully they do it right because I think it could a big success. Surrey Metro (Surrey, Langley, ND, WR, MR) is the 5th largest city in Canada and should surpass Calgary very soon. Lot's of upside 

It will be interesting to see if the LEC is a permanent location or if they consider it temporary. I would have to think a majority of the stadium will be built as a pop up

Isn’t the Skytrain going there soon? Could be a win long term.

As a resident of North York, YU doesn't draw here because not a soul in this borough know about them - virtually zero marketing in North York since 2019.

I have hopes that Langley will do the opposite 

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

I`m assuming they will have stands on 1 side only to start.

Both sides, its been said they can fit up to 7k total seating on the current pads on each side of the field that were put in a few years ago.

They will likely be using the same Euro company that provided the wood grandstands for Starlight Stadium.

1 minute ago, CDNFootballer said:

Both sides, its been said they can fit up to 7k total seating on the current pads on each side of the field that were put in a few years ago.

They will likely be using the same Euro company that provided the wood grandstands for Starlight Stadium.

That footprint looks so small.

But if they claim they can do it and its more permanent than what Halifax has, kudos to them.