Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, matty said:

https://www.ledroit.com/sports/fury/de-laction-a-prevoir-chez-le-fury-50d053e79ea68e61f8cd5acf30c0103c

bad google translate of the key note

De Guzman: "I still look at our project as if we were going to be in the same league for two, three, four or even five years. We want our players to grow in this environment. The players and their agents are aware of our plan and some are still seduced by it. "

also

"We have a lot of conversations with the three clubs right now. We would like 20 to 30% of our players to come in season loans like Thomas Meilleur-Giguère and Maxime Crépeau last year. We do not want revolving doors, but at the same time, there are short-term loans that can help everyone like Doneil Henry of the Whitecaps last year. He was able to get back on his feet while waiting to be ready and he also helped our team grow. MLS clubs know we are a cradle of Canadian soccer now, "added De Guzman.

Not sure why De Guzman's so in love with the foreign USL and their AAA style minor league and against Canada's Canadian Premier League, feel sorry for the Fury fans that they are stuck with being a minor league affiliate for MLS. He seems to be rubbing it in with his comments and likely parroting the Fury's FO staff.

If the Fury plan to attempt to stay longer term in MLS's lower division minor league then CPL should seek out moneyed investors to put a CPL club in the greater Ottawa market imho.

Edited by CDNFootballer

21 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Of anyone I would think JDG would be CPL fan #1 and would love to stick it to TFC.  

Instead his ambition is to be a feeder club to TFC?  It’s just odd.

yea his actions regarding cpl have been pretty weird. if i recall correctly he was excited by it in 2015 or so

only thing i can think of is if he legit feels the cpl is doing too little for canadian talent

Edited by matty

55 minutes ago, matty said:

yea his actions regarding cpl have been pretty weird. if i recall correctly he was excited by it in 2015 or so

only thing i can think of is if he legit feels the cpl is doing too little for canadian talent

Or it might really be purely self-interest (i.e. worried about what the coaches salary cap would do to his pay cheque).

7 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Or it might really be purely self-interest (i.e. worried about what the coaches salary cap would do to his pay cheque).

maybe but towards the ends of his playing days he seemed more focused on his legacy to canadian soccer and these comments really risk destroying a lot of that legacy 

15 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

And the risk of getting exposed as a GM...

A bit harder when you can't rely on all those loans from MLS...and having to build from scratch...

Bit harder...just a bit

36 minutes ago, matty said:

maybe but towards the ends of his playing days he seemed more focused on his legacy to canadian soccer and these comments really risk destroying a lot of that legacy 

Yeah, gut feeling that, while he played in Ottawa, he could have gotten a bigger paycheque in MLS, even if he would not have been a starter.

JdG's comments are a head scratcher, but I doubt it's that he's worried about his level of salary.

More likely: he's an employee of the organisation and is simply following the corporate line. Wouldn't be the first and certainly won't be the last.

As far as his latest comments, I feel they are extremely discouraging. Oddly, the CanPL reddit community has a completely different interpretation of them than this board, but I don't see how they mean anything else than Fury wanting to stay in USL for the next foreseeable years.

I wonder if JDG is a lot more like his father than people realise. He is more of a maverick, thinks that adversity is a virtue in principle, and needs enemies, even if he has to invent them. This is something that Julian might have in the core of his psyche, even his brother going his own way is part of that.

I just take his comments as an indication of a need to be partisan, it seems to me it feeds his competitive character, something a lot of players miss when they retire. 

I honestly do believe he is not unintelligent, I think he's quite sharp. The day he is working for someone else he'll be equally partisan in their favour.

56 minutes ago, Alex D said:

Even if they manage 5 years in the USL they will put themeselves out of business. Its hard to get people to care about D2 soccer in the first place, being a farm club for multiple MLS franchises will only hurt their cause. 

Maybe the Fury are counting on the average person going to a game not knowing (or caring) that it’s D2 soccer.  The confusion on many faces when one tries to explain the difference between USL, CPL and the Voyageurs Cup leads OSEG to believe as long as a Blainville or a Toronto FC shows up on occasion, then all is good with their customers.

1 hour ago, Alex D said:

Even if they manage 5 years in the USL they will put themeselves out of business. Its hard to get people to care about D2 soccer in the first place, being a farm club for multiple MLS franchises will only hurt their cause. 

This will depend a lot on how things go in the first couple of years of CanPL. If, in a year, the Fury's fans are looking south to Hamilton and York and seeing big crowds having a great time watching teams heavy on local players, signed directly to their clubs, not just passing through the 'farm' system, and winning games in the Vs' Cup, Ottawa's USL attendances may just plummet.

13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Maybe the Fury are counting on the average person going to a game not knowing (or caring) that it’s D2 soccer.  The confusion on many faces when one tries to explain the difference between USL, CPL and the Voyageurs Cup leads OSEG to believe as long as a Blainville or a Toronto FC shows up on occasion, then all is good with their customers.

Agreed. I think the bigger risk is if the Fury vs. CPL clubs matches during the Voyageurs Cup are competitive and entertaining, and fans start wondering why the Fury isn't playing against Canadian clubs more regularly.

I can see people not really understanding or caring about the league, but wanting revenge against Hamilton, and not understanding fully why the Fury is playing against Loudoun instead.

1 hour ago, Viruk42 said:

They already have? They went from an average of 5,365 in 2017 to 4,618 in 2018, a drop of around 15% despite having a better team.

I think an average attendance of around 5 K is what would seem reasonable for the market and with what the team has drawn historically. IMO, that number wouldn't change significantly under USL or CPL. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Fair chance JDG is towing the company line because he has aspirations to move up into MLS management. Possible he feels CPL is beneath him coaching wise. The last quotes come off like he is trying to get brownie points.  

I think very few people would argue with the idea that MLS has something to offer that is a clear step up from what CanPL is likely to be. OSEG and Fury management like JDG appear to be of the opinion that USL is also going to be a significant step up as well, even if less so than is the case with MLS. If they are correct on that their decisions have been rational. We'll find out in a few months.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Fair chance JDG is towing the company line because he has aspirations to move up into MLS management. Possible he feels CPL is beneath him coaching wise. The last quotes come off like he is trying to get brownie points.  

MLS management? Not with the way his team has been doing he won't 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I think an average attendance of around 5 K is what would seem reasonable for the market and with what the team has drawn historically. IMO, that number wouldn't change significantly under USL or CPL. 

You may be right, but I will point out two things:

First, the Ottawa-Gatineau area has around one million people. Averaging 5k seems rather low considering the population, even if we're rather spread out, geographically (I have long argued that anything outside the greenbelt is not actually in Ottawa).

Second, a drop of around 15% is significant, especially considering previous consistency. 

• 2014: 5,496 (only counting league games at Lansdowne, includes the 14,593 at the first game there)
  • 2015: 5,164
  • 2016: 5,482
  • 2017: 5,365
  • 2018: 4,618

Four years of very similar average attendances followed by a year with a significant drop. I will be watching the Fury's attendance very closely this coming year, though I wouldn't be at all surprised if they fudge the numbers a lot in order to appear as though their idiotic decision to stay in USL hasn't hurt their attendance. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wonder if JDG is a lot more like his father than people realise. He is more of a maverick, thinks that adversity is a virtue in principle, and needs enemies, even if he has to invent them. This is something that Julian might have in the core of his psyche, even his brother going his own way is part of that.

I just take his comments as an indication of a need to be partisan, it seems to me it feeds his competitive character, something a lot of players miss when they retire. 

I honestly do believe he is not unintelligent, I think he's quite sharp. The day he is working for someone else he'll be equally partisan in their favour.

Loyalty is admirable, even if I disagree with his sentiments, I respect his loyalty to his employers. 

44 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Loyalty is admirable, even if I disagree with his sentiments, I respect his loyalty to his employers. 

That is the only reason I can think of for the stance he has taken.  It makes no sense to me why a Canadian soccer stalwart would not be in favour of, and support, a Canadian league.