Ottawa CPL Club

1 hour ago, Sébastien said:

This whole line of argument of CPL vs USL for a CMNT cap is awful.

The coach should be choosing whatever players he believes give the squad the best chance of winning. Period. Whether they are in CPL, USL or Romanian 2nd division.

It's not about the manager choosing a league over another, it's a question of resources and time. If you have to travel halfway across the continent to see one player with a so-so chance of making the national team, then you might not bother, especially when you can go to a closer game and see a dozen players with similar chances. It's great to cast a wide net and find every possible CMNT player on the globe, but you will be seen more often if you are playing in the CPL than the USL.

43 minutes ago, matty said:

I think it's because people are pissed OFFC ruined their utopian vision of the CPL and want it harmed lol

OFFC haven't ruined anything, Ottawa will be in CPL regardless.

I'm just using the Athletic article and players own remarks describing USL.

The growth in terms of level of play isn't going to increase significantly. The article points out the growing gap to MLS due to the league being closed to promotion and its reliance on internationals to compete globally.

According to Nicolas Martineau from TVA Sports, Canadian MLS teams raised the issue of the injustice on the international rules. Seems that getting a green card suffice to exempt them from that rule.

Nicolas said he talked about it to Garber at the allstars games. Garber said that addressing that (Canadian context) was not a priority and that the Canadian teams could find solutions like US teams.

Citizenship. Anyone who knows our laws, it's way harder/longer in Canada than the US.

So with US teams seemingly finding a way to have more Internationals play on MLS squad, USL is becoming more and more of a dead end (even internationals in the Atlantic article said so) and Canadians are saying it to.

I'm pointing out all these points raised by journalists and players. 

But hey, I'm the angry one who's mad. At least, point me to USL future initiatives showing that they will blow CPL out of the water for the foreseeable future. I don't see it nor know them but share with me that info if you know it.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

OFFC haven't ruined anything, Ottawa will be in CPL regardless.....

Ummmmmm I'm pretty sure people were stoked about an 8 team launch including an Ottawa power house team and have now grown bitter over them sticking to USL. So yea they ruined that dream vision.

Also the rest of your post had nothing to do with them ruining a utopian vision of the CPL and instead was just an anti-USL rant for some reason

Edited by matty

It will be easier to assess a player's calibre against one another in CPL as there will be many more Canadians playing against eachother all the time.

A little more difficult to definitely say this player is better than that player if they play against eachother once a season or not at all like in USL

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Well, this IS the "Ottawa CPL Club" thread, not a "Why the Fury should get to do whatever they want" thread.  Seems like an appropriate place for fans to discuss how to get an Ottawa CPL team, no?

wait wait wait this thread isn't just a place for people to wish death on the fury?

1 hour ago, matty said:

Ummmmmm I'm pretty sure people were stoked about an 8 team launch including an Ottawa power house team and have now grown bitter over them sticking to USL. So yea they ruined that dream vision.

Also the rest of your post had nothing to do with them ruining a utopian vision of the CPL and instead was just an anti-USL rant for some reason

Ottawa will be in CPL, OSEG or not. 

2 hours ago, 1996 said:

Well there are Canadians that played in the USL last season will be interesting to see how many leave the USL to play in the CPL .There are so many reasons a guy might want to stay in the USL I don’t think it will always be so straight forward why a guy might stay .

If there is a USL call it’s going to be a MLS loan player.  Last year there were 2 Canadians who may have been relatively close to a call: Thomas and Bekker who are both in CPL then there were 2 others who were called: Crepeau and Edgar.  All 4 are out of the league and I’m not sure who else would be in contention.. maybe Attakora or Ouimette but that’s about it. 

38 minutes ago, matty said:

ok way to ignore what we were talking about to state what everyone pretty much agrees on

You're conveniently ignoring the points I'm making by ridiculing my position so theres isn much to discuss with you on the matter

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You're conveniently ignoring the points I'm making by ridiculing my position so theres isn much to discuss with you on the matter

dude your points were not related to anything anyone was just talking about. you went on a rant anout usl to hear yourself talk (or to win the day with a certain part of the fanbase) and you've made those points several times and we've moved passed that.

Edited by matty

7 minutes ago, matty said:

dude your points were not related to anything anyone was just talking about. you went on a rant anout usl to hear yourself talk (or to win the day with a certain part of the fanbase) and you've made those points several times and we've moved passed that.

You have. Not "we" and the Atlantic article was last week and the CPL article today.

So just ignore me man

I couldn't care less what league the Fury play in, although I'd prefer the one that communicates in French more often, which is the CanPL, even if they are about 3 months behind on translation and have zero original French language content. 

All I ask is that the Fury and future CanPL teams follow the lead of the Ottawa Senators in supporting that minority community. (Link for those interested https://www.nhl.com/senators/video/sens-support-franco-ontarians/t-277443436/c-63742403) and that they keep Maxim Tissot playing now that he's healed. That dude's left foot is going to save the national team's set-piece game, I'm telling y'all now. You heard it here first. (And probably last.) 

Although, watching certain CanPL fans wish death upon Ottawa and the Fury has made me hope that Ottawa tears the CanPL a new a$$hole this year in Voyageurs Cup. For a fanbase that's used to saying 'Ottawa vs everyone', it's made a lot of us naturally resentful. 

8 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I couldn't care less what league the Fury play in, although I'd prefer the one that communicates in French more often, which is the CanPL, even if they are about 3 months behind on translation and have zero original French language content. 

All I ask is that the Fury and future CanPL teams follow the lead of the Ottawa Senators in supporting that minority community. (Link for those interested https://www.nhl.com/senators/video/sens-support-franco-ontarians/t-277443436/c-63742403) and that they keep Maxim Tissot playing now that he's healed. That dude's left foot is going to save the national team's set-piece game, I'm telling y'all now. You heard it here first. (And probably last.) 

Although, watching certain CanPL fans wish death upon Ottawa and the Fury has made me hope that Ottawa tears the CanPL a new a$$hole this year in Voyageurs Cup. For a fanbase that's used to saying 'Ottawa vs everyone', it's made a lot of us naturally resentful. 

Who says they're in the Cup this season?

Because they are viewed as being traitors by those on here with a hardcore nationalist sort of mindset and therefore have to be punished in some way. Meanwhile, the CSA approved their sanctioning and they are members in good standing of the CSA, so this shouldn't even be an issue, if soccer considerations are all that matter. The only sensible way to exclude an existing participant from a USSF sanctioned league was to deny the sanctioning and go through all the litigation that no doubt would have followed.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

38 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Because they are viewed as being traitors by those on here with a hardcore nationalist sort of mindset and therefore have to be punished in some way. Meanwhile, the CSA approved their sanctioning and they are members in good standing of the CSA, so this shouldn't even be an issue, if soccer considerations are all that matter. The only sensible way to exclude an existing participant from a USSF sanctioned league was to deny the sanctioning and go through all the litigation that no doubt would have followed.

All while understanding the frustration (God knows I feel it myself), I look forward to people explain how they expect the Fury not to be part of the Voyageurs Cup, but have the three MLS teams included.

41 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Alternatively maybe because they are practically a farm team for the Impact (and possibly TFC)? Remember, they had 7 players "acquired" from the Impact last year (4 on a loan and 3 on dubious free transfers, two of whom have since returned to the Impact), if they do the same with TFC then as many as half of their overall roster could be loans.

As an aside, I do love how you instantly go towards the most inflammatory language in your accusations and rarely seem to consider alternatives. You wouldn't happen to be a politician from Beauce would you?