Ottawa CPL Club

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I think very few people would argue with the idea that MLS has something to offer that is a clear step up from what CanPL is likely to be. OSEG and Fury management like JDG appear to be of the opinion that USL is also going to be a significant step up as well, even if less so than is the case with MLS. If they are correct on that their decisions have been rational. We'll find out in a few months.

More than that and whether the playing standard ends up higher or lower USL is a faster, more direct track to MLS. 

58 minutes ago, toontownman said:

More than that and whether the playing standard ends up higher or lower USL is a faster, more direct track to MLS. 

That’s really debatable.  Of course if you’re attached and on loan you have a better shot at moving to MLS.  But if you’re a guy who doesn’t have an MLS deal and you’re on an affiliate your chances aren’t really better - similar to guys on AHL deals who don’t have an NHL contract, they actually have a tougher route to go to the show because they’re competing against the organizations prospects AND any player in Germany, Switzerland etc. who can be signed in virtually the same way.  

Are there any examples of players signing to a USL affiliate and then working up to the MLS club?  

20 hours ago, Ansem said:

Ok...sure but to have followed decades of Quebec Nordiques drama with the NHL, Bettman would always say that there was "no potential ownership" so the answer is no...but the city wanted the team the entire time. Regis Lebaume himself would reach out and the message was the same... no ownership.

When Peladeau step up, only then did he acknowledged Quebec having a prospective owner or if you prefer "interested party". In all seriousness, a city employee calling the league would not qualify as "interested party". Why would the city of Ottawa do that anyways? They already have a stadium.

The massive difference here is that Bettman does not want Quebec in the NHL, so he is going to minimize interest from there. Clanachan wants as many teams as possible, so he is going to exaggerate the interest from Quebec. The bigger the number of interested parties, the better.

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

The massive difference here is that Bettman does not want Quebec in the NHL, so he is going to minimize interest from there. Clanachan wants as many teams as possible, so he is going to exaggerate the interest from Quebec. The bigger the number of interested parties, the better.

I'm not saying there are 10 billionaires lining up for Ottawa, I'm saying that if he says there are "interested parties", they most likely have some financial means to be worth mentioning and at least 2, excluding city officials. I'm going with the premises that Clanachan (spokesman of the owners) isn't flat out lying to all of us on that, which would mean that owners are telling him/giving him the green light to do so. Speculating that is a bit extreme.

Would make sense if we were talking Moncton or Windsor, but Ottawa, being the biggest available market that doesn't have a D1 team shouldn't come as a shock that there could be prospective parties interested in the project.

10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Would love to think that a party other than OSEG would have interest in a CPL team in Ottawa.  However, I see the chances of that happening as long as the Fury are around and playing at TD Place to be practically zero.

I certainly don't disagree with that either.

Whoever are those interested party, they have the burden to pitch a viable plan to CPL, who I doubt wants a failure in Ottawa. Ottawa Fury being there now complicates that.

Or the league just let the Fury-USL-CONCACAF thing plays itself out and wait for the best time to pull the trigger on an alternative or the Fury comes around and conform to all CPL terms.

Never say never and anything can happen...

Edited by Ansem

14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm not saying there are 10 billionaires lining up for Ottawa, I'm saying that if he says there are "interested parties", they most likely have some financial means to be worth mentioning and at least 2, excluding city officials. I'm going with the premises that Clanachan (spokesman of the owners) isn't flat out lying to all of us on that, which would mean that owners are telling him/giving him the green light to do so. Speculating that is a bit extreme.

Would make sense if we were talking Moncton or Windsor, but Ottawa, being the biggest available market that doesn't have a D1 team shouldn't come as a shock that there could be prospective parties interested in the project.

No one said he was flat out lying at any point

edit cause misleading end part

Edited by matty

15 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

If Ottawa joined CPL, wouldn't JDG have to say that the CPL is the best thing for his team and soccer in Canada?

Not just JDG, the entire organization, top to bottom would have too. Hence the awkwardness if they don't fix their relationship with the league while potentially be put in a position where it could be their only option.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Would love to think that a party other than OSEG would have interest in a CPL team in Ottawa.  However, I see the chances of that happening as long as the Fury are around and playing at TD Place to be practically zero.

It only works if the ownership is moneyed enough to put up a first class popup stadium in a quality location and market the hell out of the CPL club.

43 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I would expect the emergence of a new Ottawa team to be in part fan driven. I can't see any businessman taking on the risk if fans in Ottawa are content with the status quo. Which, to my ongoing surprise, many seem to be.

Meh, they’re just supporting their club.  When/if Ottawa announces CPL you’ll see those same people say “I wanted this all along”.  

48 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I would expect the emergence of a new Ottawa team to be in part fan driven. I can't see any businessman taking on the risk if fans in Ottawa are content with the status quo. Which, to my ongoing surprise, many seem to be.

Because except for this board, the recognition in the general populace of the CPL is best, sketchy.  

Also my read of the situation is that the few hundred or so pro-CPL Ottawa Fury fans do not constitute critical mass for this to happen, not to mention the not small minority who could be considered anti-CPL.

14 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

They already have? They went from an average of 5,365 in 2017 to 4,618 in 2018, a drop of around 15% despite having a better team.

They used to give tickets away to kids, but they now charge $5 for those,  So part of the decline is from that, but I would expect revenue would probably be a bit higher in any case.

I will say that Saturday and Sunday afternoon games are not convenient for many people and they would probably see a nice bump in attendance moving more games to Saturday and Sunday evenings.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:46 PM, Protega said:

They used to give tickets away to kids, but they now charge $5 for those,  So part of the decline is from that, but I would expect revenue would probably be a bit higher in any case.

I will say that Saturday and Sunday afternoon games are not convenient for many people and they would probably see a nice bump in attendance moving more games to Saturday and Sunday evenings.

This is basically why I only do 1-2 games a year now, rather than 5-6. NASL also took a break during the super hot months in Ottawa, which was nice. Nothing better than a September evening game at TD Place. Sucks the café next to the breakfast joint closed though. Capping a game with a late evening cappuccino was our post-game ritual.  

Fury started to sign some more players,  Charlie Ward  a midfielder player played for San Antonio last year and  2 on season long loan from Montreal Impact  Goalkeeper Jason Beaulieu and defender Thomas Meilleur-Giguère.  Great to get Thomas back

Edited by mianjo

13 minutes ago, mianjo said:

Fury started to sign some more players,  Charlie Ward  a midfielder player played for San Antonio last year and  2 on season long loan from Montreal Impact  Goalkeeper Jason Beaulieu and defender Thomas Meilleur-Giguère.  Great to get Thomas back

Not to be a dick, but this probably isn't the  thread for any and all Fury news - other than what relates to their possible participation in CPL. 

Sportsnet: The Ottawa Fury decided to stay in the USL this upcoming season, instead of joining the CPL. Subsequently, Concacaf threatened to not sanction them for the 2019 USL campaign. Eventually, the Fury received sanctioning from Concacaf to play in the USL, subject to approval by FIFA. Where do we stand at the moment in terms of Ottawa possibly joining the CPL in 2020?

David Clanachan: First of all, I love the guys in Ottawa. Mark Goudie (President and CEO at Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group) is a quality guy. He and I get along very well. We were like brothers from a different mother when we first met. A very smart guy. We did everything we could in terms of making the Fury comfortable about coming into the CPL. Mark would tell you that we sat with him and give them some relief we had around the salary cap, and players transfers, and things like that. Where we couldn’t move from is that we wanted them in the CPL right away, in 2019.

We believe we will have a great CPL franchise in Ottawa at some point, one way or another. At the end of the day, they couldn’t [join the CPL in 2019], and I was as surprised as anybody when their decision came down. The people of Ottawa and the supporters there deserve a team competing in a Canadian league – I think the people of Ottawa would much rather see the Fury play other Canadian teams than teams from the United States in the USL.

Sometimes you can’t get a meeting of the minds on a specific issue. Mark Goudie said he admired our business plan, but he just wanted more time and that 2019 wasn’t possible. Giving him more time wasn’t something I could do. We’ll see what happens in the future, but I think having Ottawa in the CPL would be great, and I’m still hopeful.

Each makes a lot more sense.. that’s just over 11 complete matches and for players that are ‘98 and younger but it’s still potentially problematic. 

In Chile it may have changed but the rule was that you must have u20 players play a combined 50% of the minutes in a season for one player so in other words 30 x 45 for 1350 total minutes in the season.  This is good because if a player goes down you can just use another u20 player for the minutes.  If Molinaro is correct on the CPL version it could be a problem where you have a guy on 950 minutes who you need to play the final match but is injured.  Unlikely to come to that but what if.. 

21 hours ago, Keegan said:

Each makes a lot more sense.. that’s just over 11 complete matches and for players that are ‘98 and younger but it’s still potentially problematic. 

In Chile it may have changed but the rule was that you must have u20 players play a combined 50% of the minutes in a season for one player so in other words 30 x 45 for 1350 total minutes in the season.  This is good because if a player goes down you can just use another u20 player for the minutes.  If Molinaro is correct on the CPL version it could be a problem where you have a guy on 950 minutes who you need to play the final match but is injured.  Unlikely to come to that but what if.. 

Yeah, the injury scenario is why I thought it might be combined. You could have two guys way over 1000 minutes, and a third guy on pace for 1000, with a fourth only played sparingly. Then all of a sudden number three gets hurt.

Another thing. What’s the penalty if the quota isn’t met? The roster rule and the Canadians starting are easy enough to enforce, but I don’t know how you enforce this. Didn’t VWC2 fall short of a similar quota one year? What happened there?