Ottawa CPL Club

3 hours ago, matty said:

it's actually a pretty old school style of joke that dates back to the early 90s at least. the issues with it are valid but no one here cares so fuck it move on

Tbh I didn’t read any sexual connotations into his comments. Just figured he is still upset that the Fury fought back against the governing body that tried to pull a fast one on them. And won. 

17 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Tbh I didn’t read any sexual connotations into his comments. Just figured he is still upset that the Fury fought back against the governing body that tried to pull a fast one on them. And won. 

he described the club as "bi-feeder" before using a bunch of buzzwords commonly and historically used in association with (both seriously and mockingly) the act of coming out of the closet and living openly. the use of "bi" in this context is pretty directly taken from bisexual as opposed to bicycle or bilateral.

anyways i am done, no one cares grant mgw's wishes

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Back on topic...

YES! back on topic. Ottawa Fury are dicks and a CPL team needs to put them in their place in the 3rd round also Ottawa Fury needs to set a public time line in the next several months to join CPL. I don't expect it till after the Gold Cup but it would still be very nice.

3 hours ago, matty said:

YES! back on topic. Ottawa Fury are dicks and a CPL team needs to put them in their place in the 3rd round also Ottawa Fury needs to set a public time line in the next several months to join CPL. I don't expect it till after the Gold Cup but it would still be very nice.

I'm just happy that you started putting back capital letters at the beginning of sentences.?

https://www.ledroit.com/sports/fury/de-laction-a-prevoir-chez-le-fury-50d053e79ea68e61f8cd5acf30c0103c

bad google translate of the key note

De Guzman: "I still look at our project as if we were going to be in the same league for two, three, four or even five years. We want our players to grow in this environment. The players and their agents are aware of our plan and some are still seduced by it. "

also

"We have a lot of conversations with the three clubs right now. We would like 20 to 30% of our players to come in season loans like Thomas Meilleur-Giguère and Maxime Crépeau last year. We do not want revolving doors, but at the same time, there are short-term loans that can help everyone like Doneil Henry of the Whitecaps last year. He was able to get back on his feet while waiting to be ready and he also helped our team grow. MLS clubs know we are a cradle of Canadian soccer now, "added De Guzman.

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Are they in CPL? Not yet... so... off topic?

I'm done criticizing the Fury. Until they join CPL, they are a USL team that will have to deal with CSA & CONCACAF less than a year from now regarding their future.

Until then, awaiting CPL related news for Ottawa

dude many people have gone over why fury actions impact an ottawa cpl team. you wanna stop shitting on offc fine but don't act like this is "off topic" just like don't comment for the sake of commenting

Edited by matty

8 minutes ago, matty said:

dude many people have gone over why fury actions impact an ottawa cpl team. you wanna stop shitting on offc fine but don't act like this is "off topic" just like don't comment for the sake of commenting

I'll be happy to discuss Fury in a USL thread or Fury thread or Canadian Championship thread since they will reload with loans from MLS teams

There's no CPL news for Ottawa, that's all I'm saying.

Edited by Ansem

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

I'll be happy to discuss Fury in a USL thread or Fury thread or Canadian Championship thread since they will reload with loans from MLS teams

There's no CPL news for Ottawa, that's all I'm saying.

The middle section of the article is about how the team is planning knowing that there is pressure to move have them in the Canadian Premier League. So yes this directly relates to CPL news for Ottawa

Just now, rob.notenboom said:

Ottawa saying they have plans to stay in USL and not move to CanPL IS CanPL news, like it or not. 

CPL in Ottawa doesn't start or end with the Fury. Not me saying it but Clanachan said it when he said there were other investors.

That's the kind of news I'm looking forward to. If Fury comes around, awesome but they obviously aren't interested for now so, looking forward to see how the league handles Ottawa market in the future

2 minutes ago, matty said:

The middle section of the article is about how the team is planning knowing that there is pressure to move have them in the Canadian Premier League. So yes this directly relates to CPL news for Ottawa

They don't want in and looks like they will fight it by all means necessary... so understandably, the league's looking at alternatives

Looking forward to those.

Their future are in their hands and sanctioning bodies hands.

I truly wish them well on their future endeavors 

CPL in Ottawa doesn't start or end with the Fury. Not me saying it but Clanachan said it when he said there were other investors.

That's the kind of news I'm looking forward to. If Fury comes around, awesome but they obviously aren't interested for now so, looking forward to see how the league handles Ottawa market in the future

Did he say investors or did he say interested parties?

Just now, Ansem said:

I'd like to think that interested parties are potential investors. Pardon me if I'm mistaken on that

No, they're interested parties who might be a local official or agent in the area who are inquiring about what is needed to bring the team in. They may or may not be money men

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That’s great and all, but that doesn’t make discussion of an article where an Ottawa staffer was specifically asked about CanPL ‘off topic’. 

Just now, matty said:

No, they're interested parties who might be a local official or agent in the area who are inquiring about what is needed to bring the team in. They may or may not be money men

I'd like to think that CPL would have the professionalism (which I think they do), to only make time for those who have the financial means to at least get a meeting.

I know my calls wouldn't get returned...cause...I don't have the money for such a venture

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'd like to think that CPL would have the professionalism (which I think they do), to only make time for those who have the financial means to at least get a meeting.

I know my calls wouldn't get returned...cause...I don't have the money for such a venture

we could think that but having a government official, from a 150k+ city, call to ask about stuff relating to bringing a team to their city isn't some random no body.

they're not an owner but they are an interested party none the less

Edited by matty

12 minutes ago, matty said:

we could think but having a government official, from a 150k+ city, call to ask about stuff relating to bringing a team to their city isn't some random no body.

they're not an owner but they are an interested party none the less

Ok...sure but to have followed decades of Quebec Nordiques drama with the NHL, Bettman would always say that there was "no potential ownership" so the answer is no...but the city wanted the team the entire time. Regis Lebaume himself would reach out and the message was the same... no ownership.

When Peladeau step up, only then did he acknowledged Quebec having a prospective owner or if you prefer "interested party". In all seriousness, a city employee calling the league would not qualify as "interested party". Why would the city of Ottawa do that anyways? They already have a stadium.

Edited by Ansem

Ok...sure but to have followed decades of Quebec Nordiques drama with the NHL, Bettman would always say that there was "no potential ownership" so the answer is no...but the city wanted the team the entire time. Regis Lebaume himself would reach out and the message was the same... no ownership.

When Peladeau step up, only then did he acknowledged Quebec having a prospective owner or if you prefer "interested party". In all seriousness, a city employee calling the league would not qualify as "interested party".

That being said, other investors being interested in Ottawa isn't surprising. It's the biggest market with no CPL or MLS team in the country. It's the potential groups burden to pitch a viable plan to the league under the current set of circumstances.

Firstly, different scale between both leagues what the NHL and CPL call and interested party may be different. Also I'm not talking about a random Parks and Rec employee, I'm talking about someone elected. If you look at the statement where Clahachan talked about an alternative in Ottawa, his wording and way he talked about it was very different from hom he spoke of place like Moncton and St. John's (two places he confirmed he was talking to potential owners from).

7 minutes ago, matty said:

Firstly, different scale between both leagues what the NHL and CPL call and interested party may be different.

And that's supposed to make them less professional and owners would somehow forget business 101?

8 minutes ago, matty said:

Also I'm not talking about a random Parks and Rec employee, I'm talking about someone elected. If you look at the statement where Clahachan talked about an alternative in Ottawa, his wording and way he talked about it was very different from hom he spoke of place like Moncton and St. John's (two places he confirmed he was talking to potential owners from).

Ottawa already has a stadium, there's no reason for the city to inquire about CPL unless they planned to build a soccer specific stadium I wasn't aware of