General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

23 hours ago, Keegan said:

I’m not sure Davies was ever eligible for Ghana as he was never a citizen but born in a refugee camp (would have to check FIFA rules).. Liberia was the only for sure option.  Also let’s be real, if he played for Ghana after literally living in a camp as a baby it would be the next level of betrayal even for us.

I guess I did just assume the Ghana eligibility.

And maybe it would have been a next level betrayal, but despite the Tabla news I still remain scarred. :P

13 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Watching TFC-NE Revolution on TSN right now 

Alex Bunbury tweeted out he was at the game to see his son at BMO Field.

Is Teal Cap-tied to the USMNT? He played in U23 Olympic Qualifying and 4 friendlies (2010-2012)

Is he eligible to file his one time switch? Anyone can clarify 

Yes. He was eliglble to file his one time switch to the US. 

On 9/26/2018 at 3:13 PM, El Diego said:

I guess I did just assume the Ghana eligibility.

And maybe it would have been a next level betrayal, but despite the Tabla news I still remain scarred. :P

He'd have needed a Ghanaian passport, not sure how prone they are to speeding up that process for footballers. Thankfully a moot point now

Our national team is so diverse with so many second nationalities 

Most of the squad is child of immigrants or foreigners themselves, or have a grandparent that came here or simply have a passport from that country. 

Heres a list of players with dual nationalities: (Second)

Goalkeepers: 

• Milan Borjan ?? 

• Jayson Leutwiler?? 

• Simon Thomas ?? 

• James Pantemis  ??  

• Alessandro Busti ?? 

Defenders: 

• Marcel De Jong ?? 

• Sam Adekugbe ??????? ?? 

• Ashtone Morgan ??  

• Dejan Jakovic ?? 

• David Edgar ???????

• Manjrekar James ?? 

• Doneil Henry ?? 

• Marcus Godihno ?? 

• Michael Petrasso ?? 

• Fraser Aird ??????? 

• Juan Cordova ?? 

• Zach Brault-Guillard ?? 

Midfielders:

• Atiba Hutchinson ?? 

• Samuel Piette ?? 

• Jonathan Osorio ?? 

• Russell Teibert ?? 

• Junior Hoilett ?? 

• Scott Arfield ??????? 

• Jay Chapman ??????? 

• Liam Millar ??????? 

• Alphonso Davies ?? 

• Ballou Tabla ?? 

• Kris Twardek ?? 

• David Wotherspoon ??????? 

• Tesho Akindele ?? ?? 

• Will Johnson ??????? ?? 

Forwards: 

• Tosaint Ricketts ?? 

• Cyle Larin ?? 

• Lucas Cavallini ?? 

• Jonathan David ?? 

• Anthony Jackson Hamel ??  

The Demographics of Canada MNT ?? 

Can you imagine who would be playing for us if it wasn’t for these guys families who came here for a better life? We’d have like nobody! 

Is there a more diverse national team than us? Australia or Switzerland come to mind 

Edited by Thomas

13 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Samuel Piette has a French passport?  I don’t believe so because he had to leave France for Germany because he didn’t have a European passport, no?

According to Transfermarkt he does 

23 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

We've had this conversation before...how many of us fans on here wouldnt also have second nationalities if real life was like FIFA eh?  Personally I would have filed for my one time switch during some of the dark CMNT times.  

Well yeah, culturally we’re not a Soccer nation. At the end of the day we’re all Canadians and have that in common. But I just find it insane that 90% of our NT has dual nationality 

That just a few handfuls only identify as “Only Canadian” and don’t don’t have any ties to any other country that’s what I find interesting. Sport is something you have to grow up with and these players have 

Majority of our 37M Population have descent/ancestry that dates back generations ago but almost all these guys are first or second generation 

Edited by Thomas

10 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

According to Transfermarkt he does 

Well yeah, culturally we’re not a Soccer nation. At the end of the day we’re all Canadians and have that in common. But I just find it insane that 90% of our NT has dual nationality 

That just a few handfuls only identify as “Only Canadian” and don’t don’t have any ties to any other country that’s what I find interesting. Sport is something you have to grow up with and these players have 

Majority of our 37M Population have descent/ancestry that dates back generations ago but almost all these guys are first or second generation 

I would be interested in the difference between the national hockey team and the national soccer team in terms of percentage of dual nationals. I bet there would be a massive difference. Obviously despite the cherry picked stats that we can all name, hockey is the more popular sport in Canada, and as a result we do a better job of developing pro hockey players from all over, especially in rural areas where there is a lower percentage of immigrants.

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You'd be surprised..if you are going back to grandparents, your average fan % is almost as high as the % of players with another eligible country. 

Let’s do a count of fans. Going back to grand parents I only qualify for Canada. So that means at this point in our count approximately 100% of Canada Soccer fans have a single nationality :)

41 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Samuel Piette has a French passport?  I don’t believe so because he had to leave France for Germany because he didn’t have a European passport, no?

Correct. Piette does not have a French passport. That is what held him back from signing with Metz as a teenager - he trained with them off/on over 2 years but never signed.

28 minutes ago, Kent said:

Let’s do a count of fans. Going back to grand parents I only qualify for Canada. So that means at this point in our count approximately 100% of Canada Soccer fans have a single nationality :)

Grandparents born in Jamaica & Guyana, parents born in Jamaica & Guyana.

I'm a second generation Canadian baby like a lot of us here. 

My parents were both born in China, and raised in Hong Kong, but I was born in Canada. I am not, however, eligible for a Chinese passport (or HK identity card), making me 100% genetically chinese but 100% Canadian eligibility. 

Which is good, because people at work have described me as 'hardcore Canadian'. Hence, twinkie/banana.