CPL General

18 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm not sure where I saw this info, but I saw a theory that the PEI government money was essentially paying Mediapro to distribute these games for free to other countries as a tourism draw. Doesn't seem that far-fetched.

I actually doubt this was the case.

I'm pretty sure the money went to help the teams pay for the logistics of this: hotels, transportation, etc.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I actually doubt this was the case.

I'm pretty sure the money went to help the teams pay for the logistics of this: hotels, transportation, etc.

Doing a ton of advertising during the broadcasts. Wouldn't be surprised if the deal was to spend $1M and get some advertising in return.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Fox Sports 2 is pretty desperate for content too.

I will admit the advertising is working. I really do want to visit PEI when covid is over. I will have been to all 10 provinces if I do that.

Ha.  The wee elf had been in my ear about pretty much the same thing since day 1.

"We should go there."

Cheeta;

"And do what?"

wee elf:

"It looks beautiful."

Cheeta;

"So is Minnedosa and it won't cost $1,500 to fly there."

wee elf;

"You can't see the ocean in Minnedosa.  One-nil P.E.I."

Cheeta;

"Minnedosa also doesn't have sea food.  One-one."

And so it goes, on and on and on.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Pei doesnt have a Bison park...Pei doesnt have a ski hill (I'm guessing) plus best of all Minnedosa doesnt have Anne of green gables.  And dont get me started on Clear lake and Riding mountain, so much to do..whew!!  

Au contraire my friend.  

Buffaloland park:

https://pointseastcoastaldrive.com/things-to-do/entry/buffalo-land-provincial-park

Brookvale ski hill:

https://www.tourismpei.com/brookvale-activity-park 

Come find your Island...

Hmmm.  For some reason I have it in my head "Anne and the Green Gabes" was a Winnipeg drag queen troup from a few years ago.  Can't remember exactly.

Anyway, it's a fool's errand comparing the pros of cons of down hill skiing in Manitoba as compared to P.E.I.

Don't.  Just...just don't.

P.S.  who new bison could swim?

Wow, that seems somewhat hypocritical for Filosa to pretend that a CPL Montreal team could work when he has been against it all along.   

The trouble in Montreal is that it has never supported second teams. ie below the Canadiens and Impact.  Look at junior hockey, when the Montreal Rocket moved to PEI and the Montreal Junior folded, and Laval Titan moved to Acadie Bathurst.  Even in soccer, FC Montreal only averaged 200 - 300 spectators.    It would seem that Quebec City would work better for the CPL and if they wanted to get a stadium why not use Patro Charlesbourg??

7 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

Wow, that seems somewhat hypocritical for Filosa to pretend that a CPL Montreal team could work when he has been against it all along.   

The trouble in Montreal is that it has never supported second teams. ie below the Canadiens and Impact.  Look at junior hockey, when the Montreal Rocket moved to PEI and the Montreal Junior folded, and Laval Titan moved to Acadie Bathurst.  Even in soccer, FC Montreal only averaged 200 - 300 spectators.    It would seem that Quebec City would work better for the CPL and if they wanted to get a stadium why not use Patro Charlesbourg??

That's why I've said all along that a CPL team should be in Laval where I'm sure it would work ( and I am a 5 min. drive from C. Robillard stadium).

Edited by MtlMario

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Big_M said:

hmm whats this toronto city about...

They have 3 tweets that I can see. Their first just says “coming soon” and the other 2 are retweeting NISA related tweets. I would be surprised if they got sanctioning for NISA, but I guess that is likely their aim.

I find it hard to believe that anyone with aspirations of running a pro team in Canada would be looking at the US 3rd tier right now.   Aside from sanctioning issues (see Ottawa Fury) and the general lack of awareness of the NISL (I had to google it), we have CPL and discussions for a (regional?) D2 structure underneath it.  In that context, an attempt to get approval to join NISL would be... odd.