CPL General

For sure none of this was ever going to be easy but this is just getting into the neighbourhood of embarrassing. 

Yes, things are changing by the day but you don't get the feeling that the reason league HQ isn't communicating with the players is because of some malevolent anti-union bias.  It's feeling more and more like league HQ doesn't know what to communicate to the players because they have no effing idea what they're doing themselves.  There is no grand plan.  There is no strategy. Things are being made up as they go along.  They're flying by the seat of their pants.

I don't mean for that to sound too harsh.  Maybe that's not such a bad thing.  The league and it's brain trust are still toddlers and these are really, really, weird times.  So yeah, I'll allow 'em some slack.  But still...DAMN.

Manitoba is going into Phase Whatever starting this weekend.  No quartine for domestic travellers.  Mostly back to normal for most businesses with the default precautionaries (if you feel so inclined).  Zero reasons the league couldn't host a tourney here starting next week.  Zero.  Maybe the league is crossing it's fingers that re-opening will be echoed across the country?  Don't know.       

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Manitoba is going into Phase Whatever starting this weekend.  No quartine for domestic travellers.  Mostly back to normal for most businesses with the default precautionaries (if you feel so inclined).  Zero reasons the league couldn't host a tourney here starting next week.    

The CFL has just named Winnipeg as their host city for this year (pending a few more approvals), so I'd say that's actually a fairly major reason the CPL would't be going there.

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The CFL has just named Winnipeg as their host city for this year (pending a few more approvals), so I'd say that's actually a fairly major reason the CPL would't be going there.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/we-re-disappointed-sask-falls-short-as-cfl-chooses-winnipeg-for-tentative-hub-city-1.5033356

That would make Regina a good choice wouldn't it. 

6 hours ago, johnyb said:

I suggested Saskatchewan a while ago, as a replacement to the missed summer series.  If you want to keep developing new markets, this is a way to do it.

22 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Seen that.  

A month ago if you'd asked me if the feds would put money forward to get some sort of CFL season in play for 2020 I'd have said 100%.  Today, I'm not so sure.  I still lean towards the affirmative but I'm more 60-40 AT BEST right now. 

Otherwise the point stands.  For certain regions of Canada this pandemic is appearing less threatening and so options/opportunities are revealing themselves every day.  And that has to be throwing CPL HQ for a bit of a loop.

I also don't think that CPL absolutely needs to be in a single "hub" location.  Under certain circumstances multiple locations might be the best answer.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/sports/20200725/marshall-ready-canadian-premier-league

Quote from Cavalier FC technical director Rudolph Speid: “Why we love the Canadian League more than even the USL (United Soccer League) is that this is going to be the second season of the Canadian League and they have already sold about four players to Europeans clubs."

Those transfers really do attract meaningful attention.

On 7/25/2020 at 8:31 AM, Zem said:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/sports/20200725/marshall-ready-canadian-premier-league

Quote from Cavalier FC technical director Rudolph Speid: “Why we love the Canadian League more than even the USL (United Soccer League) is that this is going to be the second season of the Canadian League and they have already sold about four players to Europeans clubs."

Those transfers really do attract meaningful attention.

Is it "about four players to European clubs" because Montreal is such a European city? :)

I'm just curious, but does anyone know the number of free transfers of USL players to Europe?  I've never thought of the USL as a selling league.  If I wanted a player from a team, I'd just get him in the winter when his contract has (likely) expired.

47 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Always wonder what "sold" really means in situs like this. I don't blame him though, he's getting on in years and the only place he's ever really had a good run has been in tier two Finland or Guatemala.

Seriously.

How do you sell a player for profit that didn't even play a single match for you.

Its more likely fancy language for an agreed upon mutual contract termination 

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta say how I continue to be amazed that we now get to see so many guys that we have monitored here on this site now playing in our league.  I was watching Cavalry-Valour on OneSoccer and some of the names that spring to mind are Hundal, Dunne, Pantemis, Zator, Aird, Levis, Carducci, etc.  All of these guys have been discussed on this site (admittedly some after the creation of CPL) and now we get to see them playing on home soil.  Still blows my mind.  God I hope this league can find enough support and revenue to thrive.  

50 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Gotta say how I continue to be amazed that we now get to see so many guys that we have monitored here on this site now playing in our league.  I was watching Cavalry-Valour on OneSoccer and some of the names that spring to mind are Hundal, Dunne, Pantemis, Zator, Aird, Levis, Carducci, etc.  All of these guys have been discussed on this site (admittedly some after the creation of CPL) and now we get to see them playing on home soil.  Still blows my mind.  God I hope this league can find enough support and revenue to thrive.  

I agree but it also exposes players that we will see and have already seen last year  , players  that we have talked about but never really saw play . Just because you played in the Swedish 4th. division or the Estonian second division does not mean your good enough to play in the CPL. You will also get Canadian players who didn’t get many minutes in the MLS  come to the CPL and not pan out. That will prove that sometimes but not all the time I understand, but  maybe they were not getting minutes because unfortunately they were just not good enough simple as that. Therefore, that will be another thing this league  will do, it will expose players unfortunately that at the end of the day were just not very good.

Edited by SoccMan

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t know if this has been talked about, but I was reading the CEBL was gonna have an all star game vs team Canada (before Covid). I would love to see an CPL All star team vs Team Canada/Olympic team. I think people would really like to see that and great for league.

great idea

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

A lot of soccer hipsters would have a conniption if we had a CPL All Star team friendly v. a large club mid season.

I think we will have the luxury of indulging the purists when CPL is firmly entrenched as a part of the Canadian sports landscape and when it gets the same degree of coverage and interest as something like the CFL.  Until then, it is a matter of getting eyes on the product and securing revenue.  

As much as the hipsters might knock the pathway that MLS has followed, the reality is that things like DPs, all star games, and playoffs have successfully gained interest for the league and helped convert casual fans - and I don’t think that the Canadian sports fan is so different from his American counterpart that we can ignore what MLS has accomplished (and how).