CPL General

Blah blah blah.. here it is. They signed with an agency and part of the deal is when you sign international players we want in on the action and we expect a certain amount of players. Its a business. I dont like it but whatever. Its more about Canadian players for me anyways and 4 int players a team is no big deal. Just tell this agency to step their game up. The William Wallace signing seems like a good start

On 11/13/2020 at 5:27 PM, toontownman said:

It is a necessary evil to keep the standard high when they announce the Quebec, Saskatoon, Fraser Valley and Laval expansion teams for 2021.

That would be insane, truly. 50% increase in teams in one season? Good Canadians would be picked clean.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Sorry definitely not true. But wishful thinking! 

I think we will get maybe 2 new teams if we are lucky. Didn't Clanachan also say not until 2022?

Rollins said it’s not happening unless it’s another Athletico situation, and as we know it could happen because the Bundesliga is looking at the league.

3 hours ago, T_Bison said:

That would be insane, truly. 50% increase in teams in one season? Good Canadians would be picked clean.

Maybe there are more than a few Canadians that would play for a local team, but wouldn't move to play for a team outside their region?  If so, then those four teams would be tapping into fresh player pools, and not diluting the nomadic pool as much.

9 hours ago, T_Bison said:

Apologies for the tangent, but this week I was thinking about how crazy it must have been for the NHL to go from 6 teams to 12 teams back in the day. It wasn’t yet drawing players from Europe at the time and as far as I know there probably wasn’t an AHL or IHL or whatever the lower pro leagues are. I might be wrong about that, I am just assuming. So I wonder what kind of leagues they were drawing players from.

End of tangent.

I’ll be happy if no teams fold before we are allowed to have at least half full stands. Expansion at this point would be bonus.

Edited by Kent

Yeah, @Corazon posted a great list of 27 Canadians playing in the USL in the CMNT thread. You can spend a day on Canucks Abroad and wade through the amount of Canadians Abroad that might be enticed back. The MLS youth academies are churning out players ideal for CPL even if they can't bridge the gap to MLS. There are a growing amount of ex CPL players that could be picked up and plenty of rough diamonds in L1 and NCCA, even U Sports. With 4-6 imports in the squad getting an additional 3 or 4 teams into the league wouldn't likely water down the league as some fear.

You can vote for fan awards. https://canpl.ca/fan-awards

They made it a bit hard to vote. You have to submit a vote for each category together. So my suggestion is to keep notes while watching/reading the highlights/categories/nominees, then fill it out at the end.

I don't know why I'm spreading the word, you can win some swag by voting, and I want the swag.

19 minutes ago, Kent said:

You can vote for fan awards. https://canpl.ca/fan-awards

They made it a bit hard to vote. You have to submit a vote for each category together. So my suggestion is to keep notes while watching/reading the highlights/categories/nominees, then fill it out at the end.

I don't know why I'm spreading the word, you can win some swag by voting, and I want the swag.

I really don’t like the setup. I’d love to vote for a Best XI, but they force you to vote for a bunch of weird categories I know nothing about first. I didn’t even get to the important one before giving up

11 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I really don’t like the setup. I’d love to vote for a Best XI, but they force you to vote for a bunch of weird categories I know nothing about first. I didn’t even get to the important one before giving up

Yeah, I made it through but it felt a bit like homework. I watched the first video and then clicked the Vote button and then found out that to submit my vote I had to vote on a bunch of other things. I was instantly annoyed but resolved to do it, but new I would have to take notes.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yeah, I made it through but it felt a bit like homework. I watched the first video and then clicked the Vote button and then found out that to submit my vote I had to vote on a bunch of other things. I was instantly annoyed but resolved to do it, but new I would have to take notes.

This seems like a lot more work than most fans standard practice of "voting for the player on my favourite team and moving on".