CPL General

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t know if this has been talked about, but I was reading the CEBL was gonna have an all star game vs team Canada (before Covid). I would love to see an CPL All star team vs Team Canada/Olympic team. I think people would really like to see that and great for league.

Was literally thinking of starting a thread last night about the best canadian xi/squad in MLS vs CPL vs rest of the world. Obviously CPL takes and absolute spanking but cool to see the distribution. 

MLS vs rest of the world is Interesting.

18 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm a purist I understand the sentiment. I do think as your trying to get the footie snob crowd on board it can be very useful. Especially with so many new Canadians it helps bring them thru the door and hopefully they decide to stay 

I agree to a point. There are too many people I know that simple cant stand watching the level though. They even bitch about MLS and that is night and day to CPL.

Some snobs gonna be snobs. What we need to do is sell them on the stories, the community and the future. People can set aside the standard if they buy into being part of something. Not easy with the football snobs though.

Edited by toontownman

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I agree to a point. There are too many people I know that simple cant stand watching the level though. They even ***** about MLS and that is night and day to CPL.

Some snobs gonna be snobs. What we need to do is sell them on the stories, the community and the future. People can set aside the standard if they buy into being part of something. Not easy with the football snobs though.

Hells bells if you are a fan you can find something interesting in damn near every game.  Look at junior hockey or college B-ball and Football, they are almost as popular as the higher quality/standard pro games.  i think with so many choices for soccer it is a matter of taste and for snobbery by many.  You cant possibly follow all the leagues and pick your fav, support it and shit on the others, HAHA.  For me I am already satisfied with season 2.  Seeing that Wight kid knock in a goal at 16 and local hero Sanoh score in PEI...you are not going to get that same feeling watching some European league even if the game is quicker and the passes crisper.  Cant wait for more games and maybe even a Valour win....  

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

I agree to a point. There are too many people I know that simple cant stand watching the level though. They even ***** about MLS and that is night and day to CPL.

It's not just football snobs though.  I've hard friends who say they're diehard hockey fans but they won't watch junior because its not good enough.  I think we're all aware of the "CFL sucks NFL rules" mentality that exists in this country among a lot of people.  It's why I think it's good that the CPL exists but that it's important the MLS teams are still in the major markets: because there's A LOT of casual fans who go to the MLS games who wouldn't give the CPL the time of day.

36 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It's not just football snobs though.  I've hard friends who say they're diehard hockey fans but they won't watch junior because its not good enough.  I think we're all aware of the "CFL sucks NFL rules" mentality that exists in this country among a lot of people.  It's why I think it's good that the CPL exists but that it's important the MLS teams are still in the major markets: because there's A LOT of casual fans who go to the MLS games who wouldn't give the CPL the time of day.

I’m not sure why you start you post by suggesting it isn’t just about football (or other sport) snobs. The whole rest of your post are examples of precisely what I would consider sport snobs.  Won’t watch CFL because it isn’t NFL?  Won’t watch junior hockey because it isn’t NHL?   To me, that is exactly what it means to be a sports snob. 

44 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It's not just football snobs though.   

it's important the MLS teams are still in the major markets: because there's A LOT of casual fans who go to the MLS games who wouldn't give the CPL the time of day.

I wonder though.  Of course there are casual fans who go to MLS games but I wonder what qualifies as A LOT?  Are those numbers really that important?

i don't know.  Supporters in the MLS cities would better be able to offer an informed opinion.  Every ticket sold matters and I'm curious for strictly academic reasons but I have my doubts about the importance of the casual fanbase.  Just from personal experience in my little corner of this country.

(Then you get into the measurments used to seperate "casual" from "supporter" and so on but I think everyone has the same general idea).   

And as you wrote, this isn't just a footie thing.  For our purposes it is but I'd agree that it's a broader sporting issue.     

8 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I wonder though.  Of course there are casual fans who go to MLS games but I wonder what qualifies as A LOT?  Are those numbers really that important?

i don't know.  Supporters in the MLS cities would better be able to offer an informed opinion.  Every ticket sold matters and I'm curious for strictly academic reasons but I have my doubts about the importance of the casual fanbase.  Just from personal experience in my little corner of this country.

(Then you get into the measurments used to seperate "casual" from "supporter" and so on but I think everyone has the same general idea).   

And as you wrote, this isn't just a footie thing.  For our purposes it is but I'd agree that it's a broader sporting issue.     

From a strictly GTA perspective, I think it's just the popular thing to do. This is more of a psychological thing than anything else. The vast majority of the population here are sheepish normies that will tag along and follow the masses....TFC despite MLS not being great quality in itself, The Blue Jays despite the vast majority of people in the Rogers Center thinking how boring this shit actually is.....unless the team is good and in the playoffs, etc.

I have encountered a few people, the brainwashed and the complacent, people who will chuckle and say "I'm not going to support that," when I tell them about Y9 and the CPL. These are the type of guys that will just look down or shrug their shoulders, awkwardly laugh off with no retort when I question why they support, often times financially, teams owned by organizations that they despise in Bell and Rogers, companies they bitch and complain about on a regular basis.

Sometimes....these guys tend to be huge soccer fans and when they say something like "MLS is better quality [than CPL], CMNT sucks," or other braindead, low IQ shit, and I ask them how do you expect the country to improve? They again, just stay silent and look down on the ground or shrug their shoulders. It's like their conditioning into following mainstream MLSE garbage is so strong, so ingrained in them that no level of critical thinking can break them out of it.

The brainwashed masses gobble up their reality based upon what they see in the mainstream media, which is how MLS kind of matters and CPL does not, it's not even in their consciousness. 

What we need to do is get more people to question their reality, question the bull shit around them, get them to realize big corporations like bell and rogers, who fund the media, fund the so called sports teams that they support, are lying to them....convince them to break their conditioning, and then....we can consider the idea of achieving massive critical support for our club Y9.

Edited by Macksam

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I’m not sure why you start you post by suggesting it isn’t just about football (or other sport) snobs. The whole rest of your post are examples of precisely what I would consider sport snobs.  Won’t watch CFL because it isn’t NFL?  Won’t watch junior hockey because it isn’t NHL?   To me, that is exactly what it means to be a sports snob. 

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified that football fans aren't the only sports fans that can be snobs, and I meant that none of them are easy to get through to.  At a certain point, you just enjoy what you enjoy and don't worry about the rest.

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

At Caps games there are a lot of people there to have fun. Adults still single with groups of friends, drinking, on dates. Then plenty of kids, depending on game times. There are probably a majority of fans, old timers, footie fans in general, Whitecaps supporters, fair presence of people from a European background.

The party atmosphere may go up and down in function of the team's success and the mood of the city, but that is a factor for the serious fans too. I suspect that if they'd had a normal season the gates would have been down this year, but not dramatically. It is not that expensive to go to games and people are always looking to occupy their time in a city where there is really not that much interesting to do (nowhere near the level of nearby Seattle for example).

That said, if there were a CPL team in the Lower Mainland I'd imagine it would cut into the Caps base, as long as the price structure of tickets was sharply lower (60% of MLS prices, for example). This is why I suspect they have a Canadian coach and are trying to have Canadians on the pitch, while ignoring their academy to a great degree. Their strategy is to prepare for a possible CPL competitor and have the Canadian part answered with the first team, developing talent does not serve that interest.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I just think back to the number of fans who went to USL games in the cities, and compare them to the numbers that go to MLS games.  That's a lot of new fans, and while obviously I wouldn't say all of them are "casual" I do think it's fair to say that a lot of them are going because of the league.  I think just getting those fans in has value, that it's an opportunity to get more people active and involved, and that CPL teams in the markets won't have the same impact.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That said, if there were a CPL team in the Lower Mainland I'd imagine it would cut into the Caps base, as long as the price structure of tickets was sharply lower (60% of MLS prices, for example). This is why I suspect they have a Canadian coach and are trying to have Canadians on the pitch, while ignoring their academy to a great degree. Their strategy is to prepare for a possible CPL competitor and have the Canadian part answered with the first team, developing talent does not serve that interest.

I'll disagree heavily with this.  I think a CPL team would attract a certain group of fans who are disenfranchised with the Whitecaps, and that group might be pulled from some of the supporters groups, but I don't think it would impact the Whitecaps base overall.  Just like the Vancouver Giants don't impact the Canucks.   The Whitecaps winning or losing matters much, much more than whether there's a CPL team in the Lowe Mainland.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'll disagree heavily with this.  I think a CPL team would attract a certain group of fans who are disenfranchised with the Whitecaps, and that group might be pulled from some of the supporters groups, but I don't think it would impact the Whitecaps base overall.  Just like the Vancouver Giants don't impact the Canucks.   The Whitecaps winning or losing matters much, much more than whether there's a CPL team in the Lowe Mainland.

^This...

I think the idea that a CanPL team will cripple the Whitecaps due to fan defections is a fallacy that is largely pushed by the Southsiders, who greatly overestimate their own importance.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

^This...

I think the idea that a CanPL team will cripple the Whitecaps due to fan defections is a fallacy that is largely pushed by the Southsiders, who greatly overestimate their own importance.

Hello brothers.

Have the two of you thought about my offer to ascend to the next level?

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

The League should have already recognized them.

There is a "process" leading to the union being fully recognized in all provinces. The league opted to let them go through that process as would the overwhelmingly majority of private businesses.

The union being disappointed that the league didn't make it easy for them is understandable but undermining the league on social media is idiotic and counter-productive. They are only making the league double down in their position.

They need to change their tone

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Your concern is that a union would be looking out for the league's lowest-paid players?

Obviously not. They’ve become adversarial. Worse still, they’ve done it while a brand new league (which may or may not be financially viable) is trying to survive a pandemic with no fans and no gate. Use some sense please.