CPL General

But fans in North America don't have easy access to the KHL or Euro basketball.

But they do watch other soccer leagues.

MLS is the 3rd most popular soccer league in its own country.

The MLS is back final had a rating of 300,000 in US, that is dreadful. The Champions League semis both rated over 900,000 on Spanish language TV (because CBS made it available on their app only).

Trying to tie this back into CPL, we still have a lot of work to do but at least on the playing side we have exceeded expectations.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Even a foothold on radio would start the process of getting buy in from TSN.  As much as I have bitched about their lack of coverage, I would still be massively in favour if one of the big 2 got on board in a major way.  

I am actually really surprised TSN 1290 in Winnipeg hasn't done more with Valour. When the Bombers play they have a full pre-game, half time & post-game show (the actual game is on a rival radio station). It seems like it would be a match made in heaven.

I caught the Ottawa/Valour game on radio.  It was nice and should help with exposure, so funny TSN will do this but not even mention CPL on their website.  Jakubec (announcer) needs to work on his stuff though.  Mangling the names of Valour players that he should know even if he is a half assed CMNT fan.  Levis as in crevice.....I laughed every time he said it.  As much as the Fury stuff pissed me off, its good to see Jakubec healthy and helping the new CPL league and Ottawa team.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I caught the Ottawa/Valour game on radio.  It was nice and should help with exposure, so funny TSN will do this but not even mention CPL on their website.  Jakubec (announcer) needs to work on his stuff though.  Mangling the names of Valour players that he should know even if he is a half assed CMNT fan.  Levis as in crevice.....I laughed every time he said it.  As much as the Fury stuff pissed me off, its good to see Jakubec healthy and helping the new CPL league and Ottawa team.  

Where did you listen to the game? 1290?

15 hours ago, narduch said:

But fans in North America don't have easy access to the KHL or Euro basketball.

But they do watch other soccer leagues.

MLS is the 3rd most popular soccer league in its own country.

The MLS is back final had a rating of 300,000 in US, that is dreadful. The Champions League semis both rated over 900,000 on Spanish language TV (because CBS made it available on their app only).

Trying to tie this back into CPL, we still have a lot of work to do but at least on the playing side we have exceeded expectations.

NBA TV has shown Euro Champions league type action but not promoted at all on the network. KHL is on DAZN.

There is some competition for NBA & NFL within the US via the NCAA. March Madness certainly pushes the NBA to the backburner for 1 month. And there is a segment of college football fans who are only casual NFL fans.

Footy fans also are conditioned to watch differing leagues and differing competition. There are some snobs but less so than with the major North American pro sports. These fans are supremely confident they're watching the best league in their sport. Therefore, they don't follow anything else and actively deride any other league they become aware of.

Edited by red card

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Pretty sure the ****** pizza analogy established that right from day one, but always good to see them affirm their position.  At least they are open about it.  

Could you imagine the response tweet if a CPL team won it? Just seeing that tweet would be priceless!

Maybe Wheeldon is hiding Cordova as his trump card for them 😁

Hey, I'm allowed to dream!

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Sorry, you’ll have to explain how this is a sleight on CPL. Looks to me like the MLS teams are trying to catch up to the CPL teams.

I guess it could be a perspective issue but that drawing makes the CPL teams look like insignificant runts compared to the literal giants of MLS.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Its because they are so far ahead...MLS teams can barely see them up at the top of the mountain.  

If everyone was the same size the mountain would be an anthill. I really can't understand how people see it as a dig. Its an MLS centric picture and nothing more

I think it is just crudely drawn, so maybe for some the perspective doesn’t come off well. As Trois Reds mentions, they have all 8 teams and the right colours. It’s not just some colourless people that you can’t identify. I see nothing wrong with it.

But I’d still love to see a CPL team win it all. Even if it’s Cavalry and it’s against my TFC.

58 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think it is just crudely drawn, so maybe for some the perspective doesn’t come off well. As Trois Reds mentions, they have all 8 teams and the right colours. It’s not just some colourless people that you can’t identify. I see nothing wrong with it.

But I’d still love to see a CPL team win it all. Even if it’s Cavalry and it’s against my TFC.

As a Torontonian who moved to Calgary a couple years ago, this would be my dream final.