CPL General

Rollins tweeted this and I think he’s right.

now in theory CDN MLS teams should actually have a huge advantage here if they’re willing to pluck talent out of the Can PL, they could reallly mine the league unopposed and find a few gems. Even good depth players, but if the rest of the MLS doesn’t rate the league then it’s bad for the Can PL... at a point between CDN MLS academies and the talent in the Can PL only so many spots can be filled, also we need managers who will give that talent a chance.

is a Bob Bradley going to look to the Can PL for the next MAK in Sissoko ? What about Zator will any expansion team look at him ? 

in theory these players from USL and CAN PL would be cheap depth and low risk at minimum but MLS doesn’t rate them, and the CDN MLS teams don’t seem to either, I mean Waterman is a start and he’s shown he’s a capable depth player at the very least.  In terms of upwards mobility it would seem Europe is the only option, there’s probably a good 10-15 guys right now who are poised for a bigger move but it hasn’t happened yet, but where do they move to ? Only so many spots on CDN teams....

Meh.  MLS attitude is slanted to bringing in sexy foreign DP's or TAM/GAM/FLIM FLAM money etc to raise the profile and justify the 100's of "Carlos Tevez to MLS??" stories online.  MLS skims the cream off NCAA, squeezes in some academy players and then the 8+/- international players and voila there is the roster. Its more of a slam against the quality of player the NCAA spits out every year.  They just arent all that good, not enough to crack MLS rosters these days and they all end up in USL.    

I pulled a random independent USL team (Pitt Riverhounds), 14 former NCAA college kids and 5 from outside leagues.  But at least the US college kids have USL-C and USL-1 to give 200-300 of them some sort of job for a couple years to shake out any Vardies that might be in there. Many of our kids got no exposure playing in U-sports or L1O/PQ leagues and had almost no pathway if they were any good until the last few years.  

To be fair, I don’t think we should be turning our nose up to NCAA. Cyle Larin and Richie Laryea both played in NCAA and are very much in the national team picture. Kyle Bekker also was in NCAA and is considered one of the top players in CPL.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

To be fair, I don’t think we should be turning our nose up to NCAA. Cyle Larin and Richie Laryea both played in NCAA and are very much in the national team picture. Kyle Bekker also was in NCAA and is considered one of the top players in CPL.

Sure there is cream, just look at TFC, Gonzalez, Morrow, Deleon, Bono etc all from NCAA, but its are harder and harder to find guys that are ready for MLS.   Its worse and worse every year as more clubs graduate top notch teenagers in from their academy and seem disinterested in the MLS superdraft.  For us anywhere our kids can play is good, NCAA, USL, L1O, U-sports etc, just to have opportunities so we might get a Novak, or a Pasquatti or god forbid another MAK pop up.  

18 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Sure there is cream, just look at TFC, Gonzalez, Morrow, Deleon, Bono etc all from NCAA, but its are harder and harder to find guys that are ready for MLS.   Its worse and worse every year as more clubs graduate top notch teenagers in from their academy and seem disinterested in the MLS superdraft.  For us anywhere our kids can play is good, NCAA, USL, L1O, U-sports etc, just to have opportunities so we might get a Novak, or a Pasquatti or god forbid another MAK pop up.  

Achara looked great before getting injured and dyke is a monster for Orlando. 

To be fair, I think the Canadian MLS teams did take a look.  Montreal signed Waterman and Vancouver brought Didic in for pre-season and were rumoured to be interested in Bekker until Baldisimo emerged.  It's only been a year and a half for the CPL, a league composed right now of a lot of former MLS academy players that the teams had already looked at and passed on, and that people on this board frequently complained about not getting enough playing time.  I think that's a big difference though from the USL, where there's a lot of former NCAA players, meaning they're starting their pro careers at a later age.

It's also moderately hilarious that that complaint is coming from Rollins, who I still vividly remember mocking the Whitecaps for signing a bunch of USL players in the Rennie era because "players from the USL aren't good enough for this level".

On 11/6/2020 at 8:15 PM, Kent said:

This. Buchanan, Johnston and St Clair arguably the 3 breakout Canadians this year all played NCAA.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I don't like this

Interesting forsure, it’s hit or miss.

i don’t think Athletico is going to like to be told by that agency whom to acquire and I’ve read before that they’ve turned down help.

im not sure some of the bigger teams need help but there’s been some misses yeah.

its not bad that they want to raise the caliber, but they also have to raise the pay. I get the wanna be buy and sell, which is why you’re seeing more teams going younger. But maybe better to give this playing time to academy players who will improve at a faster pace than a 23yr international.

30 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Can’t see why this would be forced on clubs. I.e. Forge has a good thing going .. why should they now have to delve into a pool of talent when their current mechanisms are working fine for them and the league. 

He clarified to say they can sign their own but the league and the agency will approved and vet the signing.

That’s ridiculous if you ask me. To get approval from this agency do they have to pass some money under the table? My biggest problem with MLS is the over prescription of how to create a team being baked right into the rules. This rule is a step in that direction. Domestic minimums are well and good, but a foreign quota that one business has a monopoly on? No thank you!

16 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

He clarified to say they can sign their own but the league and the agency will approved and vet the signing.

Eh?  So what?  Good luck talking your way out of this one Ollie.  

Say it out loud.  The Canadian Premier League will have an "international player quota" for the 2021 season.  So we'll have a league bylaw specifically denying roster positions to Canadians will we?  Oh that's nice. 

Is that even legal?  Has anyone actually checked?   

I understand this is a revenue scheme.  Another attempt to further encourage speculation on the potential of sell-ons because its a serious part of the leagues business model, however... who the Hell is getting together in these meetings and how the Hell are they coming out of those meetings thinking this scheme is a good idea?

Bloody Hell.

Open letter to the governors:  If you need me...  If?  You NEED me to sit it on these meetings. My retainer is $5K a month and $150 per hour for face time, 24 month min. contract, other specifics negotiable.    

What doesn't make sense is to my knowledge, the 3 players that have been sold abroad have been Tristan Borges, Joel Waterman, and Emilio Estevez....correct? All three of which are Canadian born and raised players. 

So where does the logic come into thinking that they need young internationals to make sales, when the proof has been in the previous model. I don't care about the rule, because all teams have carried at least 4 internationals and some were horrible signings, so I think some clubs need the resource. 

In the Forges case, I think any signing they bring forth to the 21st Club will be approved as they have shown a 100% success rate in their signings. 

59 minutes ago, Shway said:

all teams have carried at least 4 internationals and some were horrible signings, so I think some clubs need the resource. 

Pacific only had Alejandro Diaz last season, and even that meant Terran Campbell, one of the most promising players from the season before, was largely relegated to the bench.

What's next... are a certain percentage of minutes going to be allocated to these 21st club players? There will be clear financial incentive if the new business plan is to flip them. Not that there's any indication that CPL will be more successful at this than the many, many other organizations around the world that attempt to do the exact same thing. They must think that they have a competitive advantage for some reason

Edited by Aird25

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Who are the owners of the Can PL teams ? Any idea whom has the most wealth ?

i know Hamilton is Bob Young, Calgary is the Spruce Meadows group and EDM is Faith ? Ottawa is Athletico and they aren’t poor.

buf Pacific, York, Valour and HFX ?

Holy cow!  This info is all readily available and should be mandatory watching for any CDN soccer fan.  I'll start you off here, and you can wiki, Blue Bombers, Greenpark Group, Sports and Entertainment Atlantic (Derek Martin) etc etc and see who you think has the most disposable income.