CPL General

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Ay yai yai that does not look good at all. The same three teams who get an advantage in the VCup also get the bonus of being the only three eligible to play in the Concacaf league? If anything if you were only going to give some of the teams a chance to win this thing it should have been the teams that got the shaft in the V Cup. 

I can understand why you can't use the league leaders by a certain point because the uneven number of teams likely means a unbalanced schedule any any point in time but another solution should have been found than giving 3 teams a shot and telling the other 4 to go take a jump in the lake in the meantime (but only after they play an extra round of the V Cup). I would rather they use the team that finishes highest in the VCup (with all 7 teams in the first round)  than this.

33 minutes ago, Copes said:

Most importantly - who do we direct displeasure to? I'm certain it will fall on deaf ears but it would make menfeel slightly better to angrily write an email.

It's like complaining to the ref: a waste of time.

Post your thoughts here. Better yet, start a poll. They do monitor this message board so the message will get through.

Next season, this will all be irrelevant. Unless of course Valour win the CL! ?

Edited by dsqpr

6 minutes ago, matty said:

dear concacaf and csa

please stop rushing things. we get it you want what's best for the cpl but your rushing is making things look mickey mouse.

kind regards

This is a CSA fuck up, not CONCACAF 

The Reid guy... an accountant that knows nothing about soccer?

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

This is a CSA fuck up, not CONCACAF 

The Reid guy... an accountant that knows nothing about soccer?

That wasn't just about this but....they def could have waited to implemented the new format in 2020

Edited by matty

Just now, Ansem said:

Concacaf league is a major opportunity for the league. It's early but I'm saying "thank you" and you make the most of it.

Oh I agree with that, I just think the move for 2019 is giving the CPL a bit too much of a taste of classic wonky CONCACAF shit when it would have been alright just knowing there was a spot waiting in 2020. The way this is being handled is messy and it's never a good look when players are openly pissed about bullshit politics relating to the league before you've even kicked a ball.

5 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

In the midst of my shortsighted anger I propose we create a Cascadia Cup like tournament for the four "not as good" CPL teams.

OMG a fan created rivalry cup between 4 teams! This is what the league needs, organic fan creations. Can we call it the Latecomers Cup? or the Fashionably Late Cup?

I will pay money to have this cup made if we can get local fans and the club behind this idea lol

Edited by matty

The fans always have a chance to provide some feedback eventually one way or another. I helped to sell close to a 100 of these in Shoeless Joe's before the 2007 game against Costa Rica that were supplied by Dino Rossi who is now the head honcho of L1O in a hastily dropped off hockey bag:

sack-the-CSA.jpg

My take would be that some younger fans probably have no concept as to just how incompetent the CSA used to be, and the powers that be actually deserve some credit for getting a CanPL team into the CONCACAF League like this. It was the common sense solution all along and a minor issue in year one on the first entrant shouldn't distract people from the bigger picture.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

27 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

My take would be that some younger fans probably have no concept as to just how incompetent the CSA used to be, and the powers that be actually deserve some credit for getting a CanPL team into the CONCACAF League like this. It was the common sense solution all along and a minor issue in year one on the first entrant shouldn't distract people from the bigger picture.

Despite turning 30 this year, my soccer fandom admittedly only started in 2010. And even then, its only over the past couple of years that I've really started paying attention to what the CSA does and how they work. 

I disagree that this is the common sense solution (if that's what you mean). Common sense solution IMO is to simply state "Hey we need to have an entrant to this newfangled CONCACAF League by July 1st. Listen CPL teams, it won't be perfect, it won't be balanced, and it will be the only time that this happens, but for year 1 whoever is on the top of the table as of June 30th goes." That is the sort of unfair-but-gotta-happen solution that is at least rational. 

But arbitrarily picking 3 of the 7 teams to compete for the spot? That's dumb. Especially giving us the reason "well its based on when they joined CSA." Fuck off. I'd almost be happier if they said "its a reward for the guys who helped found the league since there will never be a fair way to do this." At least then I couldn't be mad for them trying to hide the real reason.

Now, that said, the last part of your sentence is the perspective I'm holding onto underneath my frustration. Yes I think this is fucking dumb, but at the same time I'm happy that the CONCACAF League qualification path exists - thats a big win. And beyond 2019 it'll be fun to watch a worthy club compete for the spot each year. Consistent international club soccer is one of my major goals for CPL and the fact that the pathway exists already is excellent.

Edited by Copes

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

My take would be that some younger fans probably have no concept as to just how incompetent the CSA used to be, and the powers that be actually deserve some credit for getting a CanPL team into the CONCACAF League like this.

I wonder if it was the CSA or the head of CONCACAF that had a bigger hand in getting CPL into the competition...

I know it sucks, but I can kind of see the rationale for the CSA doing what they did.

Concacaf League starts in July this year. The CPL season won't finish until October, so the 2019 CPL winner will have to be for 2020 CL.

If they decided to wait until each team has played each other once that could be completed before July (though it would run into the Voyageurs Cup games). However that would be unbalanced as 4 teams would have had 4 home games and the other three teams would only have had 3 home games, so clubs could cry foul. There isn't enough time for each team to play home and away before CL starts in July.

By limiting it to the 3 Clubs, they can have balanced Home and Away format games completed before July rolls around. They could add more clubs, but some others would have to be excluded, which would still have the same problem as now.

There was no way they were going to please everyone this year. Knowing the communication issues, the CSA probably didn't know CONCACAF was going to make these changes.

14 hours ago, matty said:

OMG a fan created rivalry cup between 4 teams! This is what the league needs, organic fan creations. Can we call it the Latecomers Cup? or the Fashionably Late Cup?

I will pay money to have this cup made if we can get local fans and the club behind this idea lol

Latecomers cup does have a ring to it!

14 hours ago, matty said:

Is that just for this first year or do we keep adding teams with 2020 having Bunbury's team, Saskatchewan etc?  

Eventually 13 teams competing for that and 3 for a 'Founder's Cup'?  

7 hours ago, Copes said:

Despite turning 30 this year, my soccer fandom admittedly only started in 2010. And even then, its only over the past couple of years that I've really started paying attention to what the CSA does and how they work. 

I disagree that this is the common sense solution (if that's what you mean). Common sense solution IMO is to simply state "Hey we need to have an entrant to this newfangled CONCACAF League by July 1st. Listen CPL teams, it won't be perfect, it won't be balanced, and it will be the only time that this happens, but for year 1 whoever is on the top of the table as of June 30th goes." That is the sort of unfair-but-gotta-happen solution that is at least rational. 

But arbitrarily picking 3 of the 7 teams to compete for the spot? That's dumb. Especially giving us the reason "well its based on when they joined CSA." Fuck off. I'd almost be happier if they said "its a reward for the guys who helped found the league since there will never be a fair way to do this." At least then I couldn't be mad for them trying to hide the real reason.

Now, that said, the last part of your sentence is the perspective I'm holding onto underneath my frustration. Yes I think this is fucking dumb, but at the same time I'm happy that the CONCACAF League qualification path exists - thats a big win. And beyond 2019 it'll be fun to watch a worthy club compete for the spot each year. Consistent international club soccer is one of my major goals for CPL and the fact that the pathway exists already is excellent.

This is precisely right. It's either a lack of honesty and transparency, or a lack of brains, and I believe it to be the former.