CPL General

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That site also reports Manny Aparicio close to returning to play for York9, along with what we already heard about Chung returning to BC:

https://cplargentina.wordpress.com/2018/11/24/manny-aparicio-y-kadin-chung-cerca-de-la-cpl/

I read it, it’s entirely speculative, particularly the money estimates, however the bit about Aparicio and Chung seems to be based on social media chatter. 

My observations at the League 1 Ontario Awards Gala held on Sunday November 25th.  All the award winners listed. 

Not much mentioned about the CPL except:  

I have audio of L1O Commissioner Dino Rossi comments on the Canadian Soccer Business purchase of L1O from Ontario Soccer starting at around the 6:30 minute mark.  The L1O women's component played an important part in the deal. 

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports18/18l1o278.htm

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, Mikmacdo said:

How many teams could we realistically support here ?

We have the original 7

Plus Ottawa

Could a town like Moncton with around 100,000 support a team?

Regina or Saskatoon

Quebec City

Peel Region

London is a no brainer to me

Surrey

Oshawa

Gatineau 

Windsor

When York9 moves to Vaughan I think they should keep a team in North York. 

I have a hard time thinking of 20 locations. I cant see relegation happening. 

I haven't heard of this city being rumoured much but IMO Barrie would be money. It's got a lot of entrepreneurial wealth there and the population is growing. You would draw from surrounding areas like Alliston and Orillia. I can see it working well.

Edited by Macksam

17 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I read it, it’s entirely speculative, particularly the money estimates, however the bit about Aparicio and Chung seems to be based on social media chatter. 

Another way to look at it would be this: if one part of the hard information is new, a scoop, and probably reliable, maybe the other part is too. 

After all, this entire board is 90% dependent on speculation and social media chatter. Every so often, someone actually speaks directly to someone in charge. 

I admit I am wishful the salary cap figures are close to being accurate.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Another way to look at it would be this: if one part of the hard information is new, a scoop, and probably reliable, maybe the other part is too. 

After all, this entire board is 90% dependent on speculation and social media chatter. Every so often, someone actually speaks directly to someone in charge. 

I admit I am wishful the salary cap figures are close to being accurate.

Hey, I hope it’s true too!

20 hours ago, Macksam said:

I haven't heard of this city being rumoured much but IMO Barrie would be money. It's got a lot of entrepreneurial wealth there and the population is growing. You would draw from surrounding areas like Alliston and Orillia. I can see it working well.

Barrie's been mentioned before, usually by people seeing a list of largest CMAs in Canada that includes Barrie, and then stating it could support a team (not a dig at you, Macksam!). Having grown up in Hamilton, a city that definitely has its own identity, I've been perplexed about Barrie. When people here say they're going downtown, they often mean they're going to Toronto. Same when they say they're going to "the city" by which they mean Toronto. Toronto's kind of like a black hole. We're close enough to the event horizon that we get sucked into "the city" for sport and entertainment. But, we're far enough away to be happy to not be in the black hole, and slowly are developing a sense of self.

What this means is it would be difficult to create a high-level team requiring decent levels of attendance. It also means that if it worked, it could really thrive. The Barrie Colts get decent support, last  year being 12th of 19 teams in attendance in the OHL. Not great, but not bad. Yes, Alliston and Orillia could be sources of fans, and so could Collingwood and Bradford. Barrie Soccer Club celebrated it's 50th year in 2018, and I'd love to see CPL here, but think it would be many years from now.

25 minutes ago, RickC said:

Barrie's been mentioned before, usually by people seeing a list of largest CMAs in Canada that includes Barrie, and then stating it could support a team (not a dig at you, Macksam!). Having grown up in Hamilton, a city that definitely has its own identity, I've been perplexed about Barrie. When people here say they're going downtown, they often mean they're going to Toronto. Same when they say they're going to "the city" by which they mean Toronto. Toronto's kind of like a black hole. We're close enough to the event horizon that we get sucked into "the city" for sport and entertainment. But, we're far enough away to be happy to not be in the black hole, and slowly are developing a sense of self.

What this means is it would be difficult to create a high-level team requiring decent levels of attendance. It also means that if it worked, it could really thrive. The Barrie Colts get decent support, last  year being 12th of 19 teams in attendance in the OHL. Not great, but not bad. Yes, Alliston and Orillia could be sources of fans, and so could Collingwood and Bradford. Barrie Soccer Club celebrated it's 50th year in 2018, and I'd love to see CPL here, but think it would be many years from now.

Barrie is a perfect candidate for a CPL II team

I never really knew much about Barrie until the last couple years.  It’s a really top soccer city and there is a lot of personal pride with Barrie - like Hamilton.  I think a pro team there could work for sure.  

Local boy Carl Haworth would go back for sure! 

Edited by Keegan

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, Ansem said:

Barrie is a perfect candidate for a CPL II team

I think they should start at League 1 Ontario.  There are a lot of youth teams in the region to supply players.  Maybe a 'Barrie United' of local teams like Alliance United partnering with Wexford (Scarborough) and Markham teams and Centennial College.  

2 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

I think they should start at League 1 Ontario.  There are a lot of youth teams in the region to supply players.  Maybe a 'Barrie United' of local teams like Alliance United partnering with Wexford (Scarborough) and Markham teams and Centennial College.  

Personal experience: Simcoe level is too poor to field a team of locals in L1. Unless things have changed in the last few years, talent level rapidly decreases as you move north of Newmarket.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:27 PM, Macksam said:

I don't know that Barrie would be much different than places like Kingston or Guelph - a great spot for a CPL 2 team, but unlikely to be sustainable at a D1 level.  Barrie itself has a respectable 150k population, but only another 150k spread around Simcoe County (and Bradford, where I live & representing about 35k of that remainder, has very strong ties to northern York Region).

Soccer also doesn't have as much widespread support up here compared to what I see in other areas (it leans more towards baseball than the norm), and this resulting lack of critical mass is that the rep teams up here will often play in the York Region leagues.

Now, on the plus side, Barrie is a media market distinct from Toronto (unlike York Region) and it would be *really* nice to redevelop the old racetrack by the 400 that shut down.

2 hours ago, KW519 said:

Personal experience: Simcoe level is too poor to field a team of locals in L1. Unless things have changed in the last few years, talent level rapidly decreases as you move north of Newmarket.

They seem to have had decent success on the girls' side of things.  The YRSL this year saw Barrie GU14 come 2nd, Barrie & Innisfil take 1st & 2nd in GU15, and Bradford GU16 come 1st.  Even the few teams on the boys' side are typically finishing mid-table.

3 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Simcoe United if anything, and yes, my big disappointment with L1O so far (apart from the lack of semipro and advertising) has been the (seeming) lack of attempts to develop strong footholds outside the GTA.  I know if makes travel expensive, but there has to be some effort made to overcome that.

Edited by Gopherbashi

14 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

That's nice.  It would be even better if the league settled on what the salary cap actually is and let us know.

Right!? They were supposed to finalize  roster rules and reveal them this month, I wonder what’s taking so long for the league to get it done 

The order doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. First signings then this

26 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

That's nice.  It would be even better if the league settled on what the salary cap actually is and let us know.

It is super refreshing to hear that the league isn’t buying into this top-down obsession with ‘parity’ (which is a stupid concept to begin with). All it does is limit the potentially great clubs to the lowest common denominator. No thanks. 

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

It is super refreshing to hear that the league isn’t buying into this top-down obsession with ‘parity’ (which is a stupid concept to begin with). All it does is limit the potentially great clubs to the lowest common denominator. No thanks. 

Having a salary cap is a pretty big step to having at least a semblance of parity.