CPL General

9 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

...Australia is improving faster than the US...

In reality it's far from clear cut that the A League is doing a better job on developing domestic talent than the old ethnic clubs did in the NSL era about a generation ago with players like Bosnich, Zelic, Muscat, Lazaridis, Vidmar, Viduka and Simunic. Meanwhile the improvement provided by MLS compared to what proceeded it in an American context is blindingly obvious and the emergence of players like Larin, Tabla, Davies, Teibert and Osorio in recent years suggests it is slowly starting to get the job done in a CMNT context as well even though progress in that context has been slower than we would have liked.

You're overestimating quality of MLS. Take out the DP's and a few TAM guys and it's worse than League Two and only slightly better than amateur rec league. 

If Australian domestic players can be better than Americans, what's preventing Canadians from doing the same? It feels like Canadians are just programmed to think they're always below Americans even when in reality Canada's national team and program is in much better shape.

14 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The forty foot giant stone owl at Bohemian Grove that Alex Jones used to rant and rave about?

Have to wonder if the people who see MLS as a problem are old enough to remember what pro soccer was like in North America from 1985 to 1995 after the death spiral of the NASL and were actively following it at the time.

Single entity ownership has its drawbacks but if it keeps the perceived "major league" level of the sport stable and viable as the flagship that inspires investors to get involved with projects like CanPL it's well worth it.

Well well that’s the thing these young soccer fans don’t know what’s it’s like to be a young soccer fan like I was back in the old NASL days in the 70’s and early 80’s not only have your team the Toronto Blizzard fold but the entire league,  and as a young kid you had no team and no league to follow anymore . So in comes the MLS about 22 years later and does not want to suffer the same fate and so puts in place all these safeguards so this league can last and grow so some young soccer fan does not have to go through what I had to go through when I lost my team and league. 

35 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Well well that’s the thing these young soccer fans don’t know what’s it’s like to be a young soccer fan like I was back in the old NASL days in the 70’s and early 80’s not only have your team the Toronto Blizzard fold but the entire league,  and as a young kid you had no team and no league to follow anymore . So in comes the MLS about 22 years later and does not want to suffer the same fate and so puts in place all these safeguards so this league can last and grow so some young soccer fan does not have to go through what I had to go through when I lost my team and league. 

You could've had an all-Canadian domestic league, like say the 1st CSL. Or they could've capitalized on the 1986 WC appearance to establish a national program of leagues and youth academies with details on a pathway to pros. Canada was ahead of the US in the 1980's and 90's but never followed through.

6 hours ago, 1996 said:

Well, I kept supporting the Blizzard after the NASL folded when they played in the NSL (1986), the CSL (1987-1992) and in the APSL (1993). ;)

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/1069418774711853056

The traditional media buy-in has been ramping up, Sportsnet running daily stories for the week is a big jump. Maybe a sign of higher levels of collaboration down the road 

John writing about the CPL is no surprise at all but if they weren't doing newsworthy things, he wouldn't be writing about them. There is finally some meat on the bone!

Just now, Ams1984 said:

I thought he was a 2nd division player on a club that had just won promotion to the 1st... did I read that wrong?

they were deliberately misleading, it's Östra Götaland 2nd Division ... the regional lower leagues in Sweden (4th div).

Re: why not just sign a Canadian, maybe, but Adjei also dominated in l1o when he played here two years back.

Just now, yellowsweatygorilla said:

they were deliberately misleading, it's Östra Götaland 2nd Division ... the regional lower leagues in Sweden (4th div).

Re: why not just sign a Canadian, maybe, but Adjei also dominated in l1o when he played here two years back.

Thanks for the clarification... that seems a bit disengenous. I don’t have a problem with this signing, but I don’t like the deliberate disguising of his pedigree by omission. Anyways, I doubt he costs much in that case, and he was an L1O standout they’re saying, so we’ll see I guess. 

1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

Thanks for the clarification... that seems a bit disengenous. I don’t have a problem with this signing, but I don’t like the deliberate disguising of his pedigree by omission. Anyways, I doubt he costs much in that case, and he was an L1O standout they’re saying, so we’ll see I guess. 

Molinaro made it clear in his article but yeah, at first I thought he was D2.

10 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I feel like they do this frequently. Halifax were spinning the Dusselforf matchup back in the summer as "....newly promoted Bundesliga club..." I don't know if it's ignorance or purposeful deceit; either way, it's a bit discouraging. 

Edited by HfxCeltic

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

PFC presented a 5th division player as their first ever signing. This is the level we're dealing with. 

Truth!

Edit: .... although I see the details of that signing seem to be different!

In any case, I'm not sure what people were exactly hoping for at this stage. Maybe at best, a L1 England near the end? Humey perhaps, again at the tail end. Ricketts if he can't get a job in MLS.....but if I'm him, I wait to see if I'm picked up at my 200k however unlikely that might be. Heck, he might be back at TFC for 90k next year.

Not to be too negative. I'm betting we may see a surprise or two but let's be realistic!

Edited by dbailey62
content edit

15 minutes ago, ted said:

Since when is Bundesliga 2, "a 5th division"?

To be fair, Chung was with Kaiserslaughtern II, (Bundesliga team's 2nd team), playing in Germany's 5th tier. (Kaiserslaughtern is currently in 3. Liga and the second team must play in no less than two tiers below).  Regardless, the signings are exciting and it's fun to watch the league start to take shape and feel real.

16 minutes ago, Symp_Res said:

To be fair, Chung was with Kaiserslaughtern II, (Bundesliga team's 2nd team), playing in Germany's 5th tier. (Kaiserslaughtern is currently in 3. Liga and the second team must play in no less than two tiers below).  Regardless, the signings are exciting and it's fun to watch the league start to take shape and feel real.

Beat me to it! That straightens everything out!