CPL General

On 11/21/2018 at 9:02 PM, Daryn27 said:

Just got my FC Edmonton season tickets very very affordable,$440 dollars for 2 season tickets which includes 14 regular season games and 1 Voyageurs cup match! I honestly can’t complain, also when I was speaking with the rep, he mentioned they were 95% sure the league would be to either 10 or 12 teams the following season without Ottawa in the equation so that’s awesome!

That’s great to hear, Happy that in 2020 - Season 2 there will be Ten to Twelve Teams, that’s awesome! Although no Ottawa? Are they not in the Equation at all? I thought I read somewhere they’re in the potential expansion sides 

Obviously since they’re already established all they gotta do is join and cross over leagues as they tick all the boxes (Ownership, Stadium, Market etc) 

Can you explain a little more on that? Thanks 

I don't think they're trying to say Hamilton vs York will be the first CPL game. They're two different questions. "Want to watch the Ontario Derby (whenever it might be)?" "Want to be at the (as in our) first ever game (whenever it might be)?"

These tickets are vouchers *for* tickets. FC Edmonton used to sell tickets like this around Christmas time. You can redeem them for tickets to any match you want.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, Daryn27 said:

Just got my FC Edmonton season tickets very very affordable,$440 dollars for 2 season tickets which includes 14 regular season games and 1 Voyageurs cup match! I honestly can’t complain, also when I was speaking with the rep, he mentioned they were 95% sure the league would be to either 10 or 12 teams the following season without Ottawa in the equation so that’s awesome!

12 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

That’s great to hear, Happy that in 2020 - Season 2 there will be Ten to Twelve Teams, that’s awesome! 

A rep's job is to sell tickets and hype up their team/league.  Not sure how can be take as a reliable source.

All the talk was of 8-10 teams for kickoff and Ottawa being a sure thing.  This league has done some things really well but has already had a tough time following through on some of its initial promises (# of teams, salary cap, etc.).  Even if the league hinted at 10 to 12 teams for 2020 I'd find it hard to take their word without some skepticism.

On the other hand 7 teams launching in five months is still something I'm really excited about and as player signings start to roll in we will see where the real level of quality lies (probably somewhere about halfway in between the  most wildy optimistic and most wildly pessimistic posters on this site I would guess).

If we get to 2020 with 7 solid franchises and a strong 8th location with good ownership in place for expansion that would be a very successful first season.  3 expansion teams in 2020 would be massive, but from what we've seen so far a more likely proposition is probably 10 in 2021 or 2022 and 12 sometime between 2023 and 2026.

To me making sure new teams have solid ownership groups and good stadium situations is far more important than number of teams in the league.  A rock-solid 8 team league > a 12 team league with 4 shaky franchises IMO.  And a terribly ownership group can scar a good soccer city for many years.

57 minutes ago, garmc said:

I don't think they're trying to say Hamilton vs York will be the first CPL game. They're two different questions. "Want to watch the Ontario Derby (whenever it might be)?" "Want to be at the (as in our) first ever game (whenever it might be)?"

These tickets are vouchers *for* tickets. FC Edmonton used to sell tickets like this around Christmas time. You can redeem them for tickets to any match you want.

That’s how I read the tweet as well.  Two separate questions drumming up interest in options for games throughout the season. 

On 11/23/2018 at 9:04 PM, Blackjack15 said:

That’s great to hear, Happy that in 2020 - Season 2 there will be Ten to Twelve Teams, that’s awesome! Although no Ottawa? Are they not in the Equation at all? I thought I read somewhere they’re in the potential expansion sides 

Obviously since they’re already established all they gotta do is join and cross over leagues as they tick all the boxes (Ownership, Stadium, Market etc) 

Can you explain a little more on that? Thanks 

What I was told over the phone was they are looking at 10-12 teams not including Ottawa, but they could also come in meaning there is talks with 3-5 other cities I can see how I wrote that was confusing just meant to say there are talks of expanding to 10-12 teams with cities that are interested that are not Ottawa. But Ottawa can still come over at the same time as those cities, before them or after.

The main stumbling is usually said to be finding suitable stadiums and that has already led to less than optimal stadia being used at launch in Victoria, Calgary and York Region and arguably also in Edmonton and Halifax. Fraser valley, Regina, Saskatoon and K/W are all known to have been looked at seriously along possibly with St John's, Moncton, Montreal/Laval, Quebec City, Sherbrooke and a couple of other Golden Horseshoe possibilities.

This is probably a case of stating the blindingly obvious, but the rate of further progress or on the flip side the possible lack thereof will probably be determined by how well the first season goes in the launch markets with less than ideal stadiums, since that will show would be investors how likely they are to ever get any sort of return from sinking well into seven figures into startup capital, expansion fees and a popup stadium for a CanPL team. 

On 11/24/2018 at 8:58 AM, Macksam said:

I think I might get that and come with my York gear. Road trip time fellow Y9 bros! 

We must take over their stadium.

Forge FC fans could take over York 9's stadium, but given the relative sizes of stadiums involved, that's not saying much. Let the rivalry begin.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Darn it. Even if we add St. John's and Whitehorse we won't be able to claim the longest road trip. I wonder if the Russian league has ever had a road trip longer than the Perth/Wellington one?

They mention in the article that in the Russian second division Baltika Kaliningrad and Luch Vladivostok are 7,360 km away from each other, which is undoubtedly the longest road trip in all of domestic football.

Luch has previously spent time in the Russian Premier league, where they had a 6,540km trip against Zenit St. Petersburg. There were a lot of complaints in the league at that time about having to travel to Vladivostok for games, I recall some people suggested Luch should play in the Chinese league instead.

SKA Khabarovsk also played in the Russian Premier League last year and are only slightly closer at 6,190km from St. Petersburg.

1 hour ago, Zem said:

They mention in the article that in the Russian second division Baltika Kaliningrad and Luch Vladivostok are 7,360 km away from each other, which is undoubtedly the longest road trip in all of domestic football.

Luch has previously spent time in the Russian Premier league, where they had a 6,540km trip against Zenit St. Petersburg. There were a lot of complaints in the league at that time about having to travel to Vladivostok for games, I recall some people suggested Luch should play in the Chinese league instead.

SKA Khabarovsk also played in the Russian Premier League last year and are only slightly closer at 6,190km from St. Petersburg.

I finally got around to commenting days after I read the article and had forgotten the 2nd division info, thanks. Also good to get the 1st division info. Thanks!

How many teams could we realistically support here ?

We have the original 7

Plus Ottawa

Could a town like Moncton with around 100,000 support a team?

Regina or Saskatoon

Quebec City

Peel Region

London is a no brainer to me

Surrey

Oshawa

Gatineau 

Windsor

When York9 moves to Vaughan I think they should keep a team in North York. 

I have a hard time thinking of 20 locations. I cant see relegation happening. 

If they are serious on the 200,000 minimum size for the market thing and potentially having multiple teams in the largest metro areas you could theoretically have something along these lines to get well past twenty teams:

Victoria, Fraser Valley, Kelowna/Penticton, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Windsor, London, K/W, Hamilton, St Catherine's, Mississauga, York Region, Oshawa, Barrie, Ottawa, Gatineau, Laval, Sherbrooke, Quebec, St John's and Halifax

No chance that happens any time soon obviously as stadiums are a major stumbling block, but there is scope for over 20 locations if they keep budgets and stadium requirements reasonably low and enough people get out and support teams like Pacific FC and Halifax Wanderers next summer to show how it can be done.

The mistake that was made in the past was aiming for an 8 team (4 west and 4 east) format that would only tend to work in relatively few large cities in a CFL sort of way as that made every financial problem for one of the teams a potential existential crisis for the entire league. In contrast, when there are more viable markets as is the case in junior hockey you can move franchises around when necessary without threatening the entire structure in any way.

I wasn't able to find a KW CPL thread, and this isn't worth starting one, but Niki Budalic was fired today. It would be nice to see him involved with a team in KW if they are able to get going on a franchise there sooner rather than later.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/11/26/orlando-city-part-ways-general-manager-niki-budalic

Edited by Kent

https://cplargentina.wordpress.com/2018/11/25/el-city-football-group-en-la-cpl-por-ahora-solo-una-hipotesis/?fbclid=IwAR1F17ecTH-ACiZkwAsc7n5V5LdknHcNmdafAEbFrIaKR8cllmmMZsemgRg

Take it for what it's worth but CPL Argentina is reporting budgets of $5.6m and a salary cap of $1.4m.

I'd be ecstatic if that's true, but it seems a bit high.

3 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

https://cplargentina.wordpress.com/2018/11/25/el-city-football-group-en-la-cpl-por-ahora-solo-una-hipotesis/?fbclid=IwAR1F17ecTH-ACiZkwAsc7n5V5LdknHcNmdafAEbFrIaKR8cllmmMZsemgRg

Take it for what it's worth but CPL Argentina is reporting budgets of $5.6m and a salary cap of $1.4m.

"Currently estimated" more likely means they are taking the figure from other reports, not as a source themselves, I think.

So probably repeating the original Rollins/Milton reports rather than presenting this as new info

5 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Seems high to me as well. Canadian or US? That's a lot of bums in seats!

18 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

"Currently estimated" more likely means they are taking the figure from other reports, not as a source themselves, I think.

So probably repeating the original Rollins/Milton reports rather than presenting this as new info

Ah, don't read Spanish so relying on google translate. Thanks for the clarification.

Just now, yellowsweatygorilla said:

That site also reports Manny Aparicio close to returning to play for York9, along with what we already heard about Chung returning to BC:

https://cplargentina.wordpress.com/2018/11/24/manny-aparicio-y-kadin-chung-cerca-de-la-cpl/