CPL General

My error with the level of Kaiserslautern first team. Regardless Chung is a very talented young Canadian who was the best player imo for Canada u20 v England u20 2 years ago. A game I watched in person in Doncaster. 

He has not turned into a bad player overnight.  For whatever reason it has not worked out in Germany but that could be for a multitude of non football reasons. Tier 5 Germany is not a great football spectacle and he is very much a intelligent, technical player who keeps it simple, makes excellent decisions on the pitch and likes to attack. He will flourish in the CPL which is what we want our young players to do isn’t it?   

3 minutes ago, Chris 1976 said:

He has not turned into a bad player overnight.  For whatever reason it has not worked out in Germany but that could be for a multitude of non football reasons. Tier 5 Germany is not a great football spectacle and he is very much a intelligent, technical player who keeps it simple, makes excellent decisions on the pitch and likes to attack. He will flourish in the CPL which is what we want our young players to do isn’t it?   

To me Chung is the signing I am most excited about.  Not because he will be the best player right away but because he is young, talented, and still has so much upside.

What else is CanPL for if not to take an exciting young prospect lost in the shuffle in a foreign league and give him a chance to get back on track and reach his potential?  And maybe after 2 or 3 years with Pacific FC he'll be ready to give Europe another try.

I'm prepared to be underwhelmed by CanPL's foreign signings but acting as a proper develoment league for young Canadians would more than make up for this for me.

On 12/2/2018 at 2:08 AM, PhillyJawn-guy said:

CPL can surpass MLS in quality in less than 5 years if they do it right, like the rest of the world. With CPL running you don't need MLS as a "stepping stone" for anything unless you're throwing away your career. There are reasons MLS is the world's retirement league. 

I don't think the league will surpass MLS, but individual teams might. In just about every league I've researched, there are generally 2 or three teams that are the alphas of their league and have more money, more fans, and better players than the rest. Are we as Canadians okay with that? It's not parity, so would we watch if it's not? The rest of the world seems to, but I'm not sure about North Americans...

8 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I don't think the league will surpass MLS, but individual teams might. In just about every league I've researched, there are generally 2 or three teams that are the alphas of their league and have more money, more fans, and better players than the rest. Are we as Canadians okay with that? It's not parity, so would we watch if it's not? The rest of the world seems to, but I'm not sure about North Americans...

Do you think average domestic Canadians are more technically skilled than Americans or can be in the future?

Wonder if Canadian Gavin McCallum would be on the CPL's radar? Has played his entire career in England's lower divisions. Has the distinction of scoring in his only senior call up vs. Venezuela back in 2010.

Edited by Cblake

20 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

Well, I kept supporting the Blizzard after the NASL folded when they played in the NSL (1986), the CSL (1987-1992) and in the APSL (1993). ;)

So did I but it was never the same in terms of support and the level of play and players.

38 minutes ago, 1996 said:

So did I but it was never the same in terms of support and the level of play and players.

No and the fact that so few supporters migrated with the club was a constant source of frustration for me. Later, I learned that many weren't even aware the team still existed! :(

1 hour ago, dbailey62 said:

No and the fact that so few supporters migrated with the club was a constant source of frustration for me. Later, I learned that many weren't even aware the team still existed! :(

I wasn’t old enough or Toronto enough to be able to go to games, but I am one of those who didn’t know the Blizzard continued. I thought that the CSL folded and then there was nothing until the Lynx emerged in 97 or 98.

21 minutes ago, Kent said:

I wasn’t old enough or Toronto enough to be able to go to games, but I am one of those who didn’t know the Blizzard continued. I thought that the CSL folded and then there was nothing until the Lynx emerged in 97 or 98.

Many didn't even know about the CSL! After the collapse of the CSL, they did only play one more year that being in the APSL and it was pretty good soccer with at least six CMNT players on the Blizzard roster. They deserved a crowd but couldn't get one.

Edited by dbailey62

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Blizzard in CSL were pure class.  I loved watching 15 year old Pesch run roughshod over the Fury.

They had their moments and Pesch was a huge breath of fresh air for us. He'd been our most exciting player at the U16 World Cup and to see that kid play against the adults......wow! In the last year of the CSL, when TSN had dropped their coverage and I was working at Rogers, we did a Toronto v Vancouver game in which Pesch just killed the 86'ers and Bobby Lenarduzzi said as much in the post-match interview!

42 minutes ago, Kent said:

The North York Rockets left the CNSL and became the Toronto Rockets after the Blizzard folded and also played in the APSL (or A League by that point?). Think there was only one summer without a Toronto team playing at that level after the Rockets folded and before the Lynx started.

22 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

They had their moments and Pesch was a huge breath of fresh air for us. He'd been our most exciting player at the U16 World Cup and to see that kid play against the adults......wow! In the last year of the CSL, when TSN had dropped their coverage and I was working at Rogers, we did a Toronto v Vancouver game in which Pesch just killed the 86'ers and Bobby Lenarduzzi said as much in the post-match interview!

Fernando Aguir was just a young Blizzard kid as well.  He went on to play for Benfica.

North York had 15 yr old Radzinski and the Blizzard had 15 yr old Peschisolido.  It was a pleasure watching those kids turn into world class footballers.  Same as Bunbury.  It was long list of fantastic development, in short order for the CSL.  I'm expecting the player pool in CPL to grow in quality tremendously over the next decade and beyond.   And with it, I expect Canada to slowly climb the FIFA rankings as we develop proper quality and depth.

I can't wait for CPL to kick-off !  I am literally giddy with excitement !  

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Fernando Aguir was just a young Blizzard kid as well.  He went on to play for Benfica.

North York had 15 yr old Radzinski and the Blizzard had 15 yr old Peschisolido.  It was a pleasure watching those kids turn into world class footballers.  Same as Bunbury.  It was long list of fantastic development, in short order for the CSL.  I'm expecting the player pool in CPL to grow in quality tremendously over the next decade and beyond.   And with it, I expect Canada to slowly climb the FIFA rankings as we develop proper quality and depth.

I can't wait for CPL to pick-off !  I am literally giddy with excitement !  

Yes. Bunbury in Hamilton, Montreal and Toronto. I remember watching Fernando Aguiar score a hat-trick against LA Salsa. Onstad in Winnipeg. Berdusco in NY. Mobilio and Catliff in Vancouver. Lyndon Hooper! 

Lots of players who became household names who went on to good careers!

1 hour ago, dbailey62 said:

Yes. Bunbury in Hamilton, Montreal and Toronto. I remember watching Fernando Aguiar score a hat-trick against LA Salsa. Onstad in Winnipeg. Berdusco in NY. Mobilio and Catliff in Vancouver. Lyndon Hooper! 

Lots of players who became household names who went on to good careers!

Last I heard Fernando was working on his coaching license in Porto, though he maintains contacts in Toronto. 

Dani Fernandes is also working on his UEFA B license in the Porto area, and he has contacts and some things on the go in Greater Vancouver. 

It would be great to see our former pros also getting into the mix in coaching for CPL, I see that Nash is at Calgary, for example.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:42 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The North York Rockets left the CNSL and became the Toronto Rockets after the Blizzard folded and also played in the APSL (or A League by that point?). Think there was only one summer without a Toronto team playing at that level after the Rockets folded and before the Lynx started.

Toronto Blizzard played in the APSL in 1993     http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/93bliz00.htm

Toronto Rockets played in the APSL in 1994     http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/apsl00.htm

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/apsl12.htm      interesting story that these Toronto team owners had to support the sick franchises in Houston and Atlanta during their run.  

nothing in 1995 and 1996 then Toronto Lynx started in the newly formed A-League in 1997.  

On 12/3/2018 at 2:46 PM, Chris 1976 said:

My error with the level of Kaiserslautern first team. Regardless Chung is a very talented young Canadian who was the best player imo for Canada u20 v England u20 2 years ago. A game I watched in person in Doncaster. 

Chung was offered a deal to stay in a 2-way deal btwn first team and the reserve squad at FCK, but the relegated budget and some issues with his work permit there, had him returning to Canada. My understanding is that his stint there was successful, especially if you consider FCK's offer for a second-year contract.

Chung was offered a deal to stay in a 2-way deal btwn first team and the reserve squad at FCK, but the relegated budget and some issues with his work permit there, had him returning to Canada. My understanding is that his stint there was successful, especially if you consider FCK's offer for a second-year contract.

According to wiki he had 8 games for FCK2, there could be reasons for that but you could hardly call it "successful" by any stretch of the imagination. 

29 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Was a d5 backup..versatile and got a few starts at rb towards the end so not surprising if they wanted to keep him another year for 2nd team but was nowhere near 1st team

Seems a harsh conclusion considering that two posts above you it says that he was offered a offered a two way contract between the first and second team. Sure, he didn't appear for them last season while they were  trying to avoid relegation from 2. Bundesliga, but it would appear they wanted to keep him around. Relegation battles aren't always the best time to blood new players. Regardless, he was a solid USL player and a very good youth player for our national teams when he was 16, 17 and 18. I can't wait to see what he can do after maturing a bit more.

Edited by C2SKI

7 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

CPL should not be compared to USL. Even L1O and PLSQ are above that level. I bet Sigma FC is better than most USL sides.

Ya your so right I bet I could put a team together consisting of me and my 80 year old dad and 9 of his friends who are all in their 80’s and play in the USL and easily win the championship going undefeated and winning every game!

10 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

CPL should not be compared to USL. Even L1O and PLSQ are above that level. I bet Sigma FC is better than most USL sides.

Sure.  Meanwhile TFC II got their asses handed to them in USL while TFC III was a very good L1O team.

For the last time (just speaking about me personally), if you want to follow Canadian soccer, post about Canadian soccer.

If you are just here to push your anti-American agenda (as all evidence points to thus far), push off.