CPL General

Totally unrelated here -

I understand the CPL will create and new professional players that otherwise wouldn’t have gotten a chance but im worried that the teams are doing too much of that

There’s a reason why the league put a list of foundational, up and coming players in North America, Europe and across the globe ? 

Instead it sounds more like it will be College, Trialists, Home Territory and in the case of Calgary just bringing the majority of the squad from PDL and FCE are just contacting old players from the NASL days and signing their academy kids not that there’s anything wrong with that. 

We need more established more and compliment that with the youth 

If we want This league to be competitive they have ace the right balance 

Hope most clubs have signed 10-12 Canadian pros at least and make up the test of the squad with other pools 

Edited by Thomas

I know people love to dump on MLS, but I will not one of them.  MLS is considered by many to be ranked around 10th compared to world leagues.  That is pretty good.  That should be the goal of the CPL. The three MLS teams are much better at playing Canadian players than in the past.  I recall watching a Voyageurs cup match when there was only one Canadian player on the pitch.  This year, the Canadians were the most exciting players on the pitch, and there were 7 or 8 who played per game.  Not great, but not bad.

I don't want to see a watered down MLS team playing in the Voyageurs Cup because I want the best Canadian team to play in CCL. I loved watching the Impact and TFC make their way to the CCL finals.  If a CPL team makes it, it will have to play against many teams equal to or better than Canadian MLS teams, so they should earn their place by beating Canadian MLS teams.

Having said that, I hope that based on the success of Canadian MLS teams in CCL, and the respect that Canadian MLS teams have given the CCL by playing to win, unlike their US counterparts, that a second spot should be opened exclusively to the CPL champion (you decide if it should be the playoff or league champ).   And I hope that in 10 years even I will crap on MLS because CPL is truly better!!!

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...which isn't ending any time soon. It's not an exact analogy, but once you have markets like Victoria and Halifax involved and league officials are talking about 200k and up being the target market size you can't sensibly draw parallels to the WHA, because they are going for an economic model that is inherently smaller scale than MLS, which is no bad thing. Hopefully once it is up and running people will lose these hangups over who is D1 as the pecking order becomes obvious to all through things like Voyageurs Cup games and will just enjoy having more pro soccer teams in more cities from coast to coast.

MLS was small scale at start as well, CPL is a D1 league at its starting point and will develop over the years just as MLS has.

3 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

I have to agree. If the CPL, in ten years, is drawing half the CFL's average attendances, we'll all be over the moon. The same can be said re it's television viewership! CFL blows MLS out of the water! 

You wait and see. Im an old fan of the CFL but playing a bizarre version of what outherwise is a very popular sport has done nothing to win new fans over the past 20 yrs. Here in Vancouver even the hardcore CFL people admit they are shocked at how quickly the Whitecaps eclipsed the Lions in interest in popularity. Im preaching to the converted in some ways but wait and see how quickly the CPL gains ground on CFL in most of these markets. Especially with younger crowds and newer Canadians

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

You wait and see. Im an old fan of the CFL but playing a bizarre version of what outherwise is a very popular sport has done nothing to win new fans over the past 20 yrs. Here in Vancouver even the hardcore CFL people admit they are shocked at how quickly the Whitecaps eclipsed the Lions in interest in popularity. Im preaching to the converted in some ways but wait and see how quickly the CPL gains ground on CFL in most of these markets. Especially with younger crowds and newer Canadians

It may but I question your contention that the game is bizarre. It is a Canadian institution which is why it has survived. Sure, I dream of the day soccer eclipses the CFL too but it will be a very slow process. The CPL has great potential and I believe in it but I'm not going to fall into a trap of dreaming in technicolor either.

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

It already has where i live. Its not even close. You call it an institution. Thats the type of thinking thats killed it

... and here in Toronto too but I consider that remark to be a bit too flippant. CPL will never be MLS. It can be a strong entity and can do well but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

CFL is more likely to whither and fade due to the inherent danger of the sport as much as any other reason. As long as the TV numbers stay good, the league will survive.

Time will tell of course but writing off the CFL is premature.

59 minutes ago, Nerf said:

I don't want to see a watered down MLS team playing in the Voyageurs Cup because I want the best Canadian team to play in CCL. I loved watching the Impact and TFC make their way to the CCL finals.  If a CPL team makes it, it will have to play against many teams equal to or better than Canadian MLS teams, so they should earn their place by beating Canadian MLS teams.

The best Canadian team should be able to win a domestic cup with Canadians.

If they can't do that with the almost decades worth head start, the fortune they have, the money they spent, the connections they have...If they absolutely need to be allowed to play just 3 Canadians while everyone else will have a minimum of 6... then they don't deserve to be there. Send a CPL team and give the guys experience instead.

We should stop feeling sorry for them. We aren't genetically predisposed to be less talented than Americans, so I will blame the way they develop players in their academies. 

Maybe forcing them to start 6 Canadians and having them sit out a few CCL would be incentive enough for some change/improvement/reforms in development of players.

14 hours ago, Ansem said:

If they can't do that with the almost decades worth head start, the fortune they have, the money they spent, the connections they have...If they absolutely need to be allowed to play just 3 Canadians while everyone else will have a minimum of 6... then they don't deserve to be there. Send a CPL team and give the guys experience instead.

We should stop feeling sorry for them. We aren't genetically predisposed to be less talented than Americans, so I will blame the way they develop players in their academies. 

Maybe forcing them to start 6 Canadians and having them sit out a few CCL would be incentive enough for some change/improvement/reforms in development of players.

The beauty of competitions like a Voyageurs Cup or a lot of these open cup type competitions we see all over the world like England’s FA Cup and many others is the David and Goliath feel to them. As we have seen all over the world in these kind of open cups is that a lot of times the smaller clubs beat the favourites and higher level teams. This will happen in the Voyageurs Cup an MLS team will lose to a CPL team , it happens in the US Open Cup and in England’s FA Cup . No need to water it down by having an MLS team play with a lineup which will be filled with mainly half the team of potential bench warmers, it should be up to the individual MLS team what kind of lineup they put out there, keep it a three ,moreover you will still get upsets no matter it’s the beauty of these Cup competitions upsets always happen.

21 hours ago, Ansem said:

Sure let's have the clubs with millions invested into foreign game changing talent rotate a large part of their squad to meet the standards of CPL. There's a whole league dedicated to Canadian player development, no need to dedicate the countries only domestic cup to development too.

Have a CPL cup with 6 Canadian player requirements, at least all the clubs are on a 100 % level playing field. USL and MLS clubs aren't built around rules that require 6 Canadians on the field at a time, all CPL clubs are going to be.

I'll take this chance to applaud the work the MLS academies are doing. Like you said, it's almost a decade now, and we're just starting to see kids consistently make the next step and become proper pros. It's simply because the first generation of young Canadians that grew up with local MLS clubs are just reaching their important make or break years now. CPL and MLS both have a great opportunity to embrace the growing passion for football in our country, and with a potential 2022 qualification and World Cup in 2026  I truly think kids will be inspired like never before. Kids growing up in Canada never had local pro clubs to dream of playing for, and all that is drastically changing.It's only a matter of time before ALL Canadian academies have representation in all the top leagues in the world imo

Edited by KW519

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, Keegan said:

Bingo.  The true reality is that North American leagues like MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL have been the worst things possible for their sport.  The NHL has limited markets, which in turn skyrocket prices, they are openly hostile to competing leagues of the same sport and have all but ruined international hockey.  The NHL is bigger than the IIHF and that is a nightmare scenario that will ensure hockey remains a 3rd rate sport globally. 

All things being equal CHL should be in the pyramid and promote and relegate with a chance to make the top level.  Just imagine that and what it would mean for hockey... it’s sad.  Canada is a hockey mad country with only 7 teams.. as of this moment we have more professional soccer teams.  Imagine Germany having more pro hockey than football teams? It’s insanity. 

The GTA alone should have 3+ NHL teams. 

Guess who is running this same scenario?  MLS!  It’s the reason we have a ton of Americans supporting us.  We are literally the last hope in North America... CPL is the hip hop in a pop music landscape.  We are trying to do things right and people who can use their head see that and support it.  If we fail the Americans know they never have a hope of fixing their pyramid.. they want us (for once!) to lead the way and show up the USSF. 

This is how I feel about everything. 

I am also of the opinion that the CHL should professionalize and implement promotion/relegation. Hockey needs a professional shake up in this country and a rival league, nay rival system is badly needed. The original WHA was created because there were a lot of North American markets that were underserved and it's the exact same situation this time around.

And yes times ten to the economic and cultural significance this league is going to have throughout North America when successful. This fight is not just for soccer but the other popular North American sports as well. People are sick of monopolies and the status needs to be challenged again.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:05 PM, SpursFlu said:

I think if CPL was playing 9 aside, larger nets and free kicks counted as 2 it would be comparable to the CFL. Latin Americans and British people tend to like and follow American football but when they see the CFL and it's goofy rules it kinda comes across as a joke. I tend to agree with them

Lol, I have a hard time believing people unfamiliar with the sport even notice the differences between the two leagues.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, dbailey62 said:

... and here in Toronto too but I consider that remark to be a bit too flippant. CPL will never be MLS. It can be a strong entity and can do well but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

CFL is more likely to whither and fade due to the inherent danger of the sport as much as any other reason. As long as the TV numbers stay good, the league will survive.

Time will tell of course but writing off the CFL is premature.

It will be better....it will be an actual league. I guarantee we will surpass the United States' German adopted national team in 5 years from the CPL starting up. 

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

It will be better....it will be an actual league. I guarantee we will surpass the United States' German adopted national team in 5 years from the CPL starting up. 

One thing I don't get is when I tell Canadians that the CPL can be better than MLS from the get-go they think I'm trolling. Do people overestimate the quality of MLS or not understand that the "league" is designed to pocket money for investors while keeping expenses low and scam unaware fans into garbage quality soccer? We should convince the 3 Canadian MLS teams to eventually switch over, not in 2019 but maybe after 3-4 seasons of CPL playing. Even though MLS is garbage, TFC and Whitecaps at least has invested decently in academies and they could benefit the CPL in helping other clubs set up theirs.

Nice to see the US realizing that Canada does something better than them and maybe learn from. Hopefully in the future we'll see articles on how to fix US's league structure by pointing to CPL's open pyramid with pro/rel as an example. 

I like how Canadian universities don't use sports to make money and focuses more on education and NCAA's rules can't harm them. University sports should be simply extracurricular activities, not a training ground for pros. Just curious, do Canadian universities offer full scholarships solely for sports? 

1 hour ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

One thing I don't get is when I tell Canadians that the CPL can be better than MLS from the get-go they think I'm trolling. Do people overestimate the quality of MLS or not understand that the "league" is designed to pocket money for investors while keeping expenses low and scam unaware fans into garbage quality soccer? We should convince the 3 Canadian MLS teams to eventually switch over, not in 2019 but maybe after 3-4 seasons of CPL playing. Even though MLS is garbage, TFC and Whitecaps at least has invested decently in academies and they could benefit the CPL in helping other clubs set up theirs.

Your credibility here has to be questioned when you flippantly state that "MLS is garbage". It's most certainly not one of the world's top leagues and nor should that be expected but it is a very decent league in the overall scheme of things and if you truly believe that MLS is garbage, what will you call CPL which isn't even aspiring to be close to its level for the near future?

If at some point down the road CPL can prove to the Big Three that life in the CPL could be feasible and advantageous, sure, why not discuss a "transition" but we can talk about that in ten years or so when we can discuss this again with a further ten year timeline projection about when to discuss it again!

Just be wary of your trollish type foolishness if you want to be taken seriously at all!

14 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

Your credibility here has to be questioned when you flippantly state that "MLS is garbage". It's most certainly not one of the world's top leagues and nor should that be expected but it is a very decent league in the overall scheme of things and if you truly believe that MLS is garbage, what will you call CPL which isn't even aspiring to be close to its level for the near future?

If at some point down the road CPL can prove to the Big Three that life in the CPL could be feasible and advantageous, sure, why not discuss a "transition" but we can talk about that in ten years or so when we can discuss this again with a further ten year timeline projection about when to discuss it again!

Just be wary of your trollish type foolishness if you want to be taken seriously at all!

Again, I'm sorry for coming across as trollish but I started following US soccer back in 2015 thinking that 2 impressive friendly victories in Germany and Holland were signs of the next step forward only to see everything fall into the abyss, including MLS which I thought would improve but still continues to get unimpressive CCL results and a league has to be garbage if old, out-of-shape retired has-beens can dominate easily without even putting in work. Just admit it, MLS's best is below average in Europe. Also regarding the MLS is garbage we have league execs talking about being a top 10 league in the world and yet having nothing to support their claims and making no efforts to improve beside lip service changes. TV ratings are stagnant, and after 20 years nobody cares about MLS while soccer in the US has exploded in popularity. I bet Canadians don't have good feelings when MLS lied about its promise to develop and improve Canadian soccer.

Anyway, I thought supporting the US and being hopeful was a waste of time so I decided to turn to Canada, because you guys give me a lot of reasons to be optimistic and look forward to better times and the CSA didn't waste a whole year entangled in their own mess and not accomplish anything. I think Canada is great in that people there are more willing to set aside difference and cooperate rather than fight others and come up with outlandish conspiracies. 

If any Canadians here observed the USSF elections, the pro/rel movement in the US, or the lawsuits, don't you feel lucky that your country's soccer program isn't affected by any of the chaos?

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

This guy is a known troll across multiple platforms. His purpose in life is to denigrate MLS/closed leagues 

MLS is garbage. It's below League 2 quality for the most part and it pays shitty salaries for squad players while wastefully spending on European retiree superstars. The CPL should take this into consideration and avoid this kind of squad building practice.

23 hours ago, 1996 said:

The beauty of competitions like a Voyageurs Cup or a lot of these open cup type competitions we see all over the world like England’s FA Cup and many others is the David and Goliath feel to them. As we have seen all over the world in these kind of open cups is that a lot of times the smaller clubs beat the favourites and higher level teams. This will happen in the Voyageurs Cup an MLS team will lose to a CPL team , it happens in the US Open Cup and in England’s FA Cup . No need to water it down by having an MLS team play with a lineup which will be filled with mainly half the team of potential bench warmers, it should be up to the individual MLS team what kind of lineup they put out there, keep it a three ,moreover you will still get upsets no matter it’s the beauty of these Cup competitions upsets always happen.

This is what I look forward to with the Canadian Championship over the next couple years. I have zero interest in hamstringing TFC, Whitecaps and Impact. Let them play with their roster. They are Canadian-based clubs, but they don't play in a league that has Canadian requirements. Voyageur Cup rules are fine as they are. The David vs Goliath story is exciting, and WHEN CPL teams eventually start beating the big guys with more internationally focused rosters its going to be incredibly exciting. I love TFC, but I'm going to lose my mind the first time HFX beats them. 

One of the reasons soccer as a sport is so damn entertaining is the different philosophies about the exact same game across different nations and leagues. Different playstyles, different investment levels, different mentalities, different player development, and different roster building rules. The excitement is pitting those differences against each other to determine who or what is the best - not in fixing the rules so everyone suddenly becomes the same.

Edited by Copes