CPL new teams speculation

On 11/7/2018 at 2:14 PM, Ansem said:

Lol I added other locations but the MAJOR mistake that Saputo did was to not build his stadium Downtown Montreal. He's too far east.

I think the Impact had the same problem in 2010 that a new CPL owner would have in Montréal. To build the stadium more centrally, you need A LOT of money. Montréal isnt Halifax (no offense). Available downtown lots (especially now since the recent construction boom) are at a premium. Since minor league teams (i know Can PL isnt quite minor league, but it has a similar ambition to 2000s NASL) dont have unlimited funds, risks of overspending are quite real and easily met when trying to find a downtown lot. 

For instance. The land needed to build the stadium in Pointe-St-Charles (where the new Expos want to build their stadium) is already under the radar of condo developpers who've created a whole new neighbourhood south of DT in Griffintown. A brand new metro line will be passing right next to that site. We're talking about land that is worth tens of millions. No way a Bunburry led ownership group would have the funds necessary to purchase such land. 

There is other problems with some of the sites suggested as well. The Ile-Ste-Hélène/Notre-Dame archipelago has recently seen a major re-configuration to allow for big events (Osheaga, etc) with thousands of trees having to be cut down. The new mayor would never accept to cut down more to allow for a new stadium to be built there. She is very "pro-ecology" and wanted to cancel the current re-configuration and has a public consultation undergoing currently on the future of the site. 

I think like the Impact did before building their own stadium (the Impact were at Centre Claude Robiilard before Saputo). They should consider leasing an already existing stadium like Cepsum or Percival Molson Stadium. If not, the land cost needed for the team to be viable would be located outside of the Montréal Island. In Laval or Longueuil for instance.  

On 11/7/2018 at 1:47 PM, Ansem said:

“I’m working on bringing a team to Montreal. That’s how much I believe in this league,” Bunbury reiterated.

“I’m willing to do whatever I need to do to bring a (CPL) club to a city that gave me so much.”

They’re encouraging aspirations from the face of an event that unfolded as it did due to the outpouring of support from players chasing their dreams.

“I hope the staff and people working behind the scenes saw I want this to happen and I want this to work,” Bunbury said.

“I thought about the importance of being involved in a league that we need for Canadians. It has been nothing but spectacular.”

He had also said he wanted to bring a team to Montreal, Laval or Quebec, when he was at the Montreal GotGame trials, video interview here:

https://twitter.com/ItsSoccerHere/status/1052286616398647296

Personally I think the Cepsum makes the most sense in the size and availability of the venue and the emplacement; close to a metro station, on a big university campus in a very multicultural area.

Edited by Shakmur

Laval 2020

•  A team could start as soon as 2020

Direct translated quote:  "We are talking to investors. We will be able to assess the situation in January but it is certain that we will not be ready for the 2019 season. Many things are to be done and I do not want a rush. We have started discussions with the leaders of the CPL. The Laval complex would be a great place to play, it's pretty central and easy to get to. It will be necessary to speak with the FSQ."

Laval (also Jesus Island) has a population of approximately 440K, located north of Montreal Island. It is connected to Montreal with the commuter train line and the Montreal Metro.

The Northern suburbs also called "Couronne Nord" accounts for over 550K people, meaning that Laval has a potential market of over 1M people and could draw directly from Montreal Island's northern boroughs.
[IMG]

Complexe de Laval

Tons of land for a Modular stadium + Indoor field for training

Centre_sportif_Bois-de-Boulogne.jpg

Commercial---Centre-bois-de-boulogne-2.j

It's close to the intersections of Highway 440 (Laval East - West) & Highway 19 (Montreal - Northern Laval)

It's a bus ride from Metro De La Concorde on the Orange line.

map-metro-stm.gif

Edited by Ansem

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, Rheo said:

Howdy all. Sticking my head out to say that there’s a Windsor supporter group started. Early days but we’ve got to start somewhere. On twitter if anyone wants to keep up its https://twitter.com/windsorcanpl

Just out of curiosity, would Windsor have the finances to cover coast to coast travel costs of a national league.  Or would Windsor be better off in the regional CPL Tier II (newly acquired L1O).

Just wondering.

44 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

Just out of curiosity, would Windsor have the finances to cover coast to coast travel costs of a national league.  Or would Windsor be better off in the regional CPL Tier II (newly acquired L1O).

Just wondering.

Depends on who the owners would be, same with any other professional team. Doesn’t hurt to try and get the groundwork set up in case someone is interested 

16 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

Just wondering.

To add to what others have pointed out, Windsor already has a team in L1O. It sounded from your question like your aren’t aware of that.

If I were Clanachan/Beirne, how i’d like CPL Expansion  go:

Team 8: Ottawa Fury 

Team 9: Saskatoon 

Team 10: Quebec City

Team 11: Moncton

Team 12: St John’s 

Team 13: Laval  

Team 14: Tri-Cities  

2023 and beyond 

Team 15: Regina

Team 16: Surrey (Lower Mainland)

That completes the 16 Team 1st Tier League 

Fell Short: Kewlona, Sherbrooke, PEI, Mississauga 

After 2026: Start a 2nd Division and Look into Pro/Rel :) 

Edited by Thomas

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

If I were Clanachan/Beirne, how i’d like CPL Expansion  go:

Team 8: Ottawa Fury 

Team 9: Saskatoon 

Team 10: Quebec City

Team 11: Moncton

Team 12: St John’s 

Team 13: Laval  

Team 14: Tri-Cities  

2023 and beyond 

Team 15: Regina

Team 16: Surrey (Lower Mainland)

That completes the 16 Team 1st Tier League 

Fell Short: Kewlona, Sherbrooke, PEI, Mississauga 

After 2026: Start a 2nd Division and Look into Pro/Rel :) 

Tri-Cities = ?  

13 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Could Bunbury just partner with Saputo and get Impact into CPL since there are no Quebec teams yet? I mean Impact did exist before MLS so they can still pull out.

I would love all three Canadian MLS teams to join, but that's just a dream.  They've all thrown so much money into their expansion fees for MLS, and they won't throw away whatever they make from being in MLS to join the Premier League.  Mind you, if Impact did jump to the Premier League, I'd rather see Bunbury's team in Laval also.  The more, the merrier.

Edited by SuperCanuck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Besides Justin Springer, what else have they broke?

I believe Austin Ricci as well? They've only been around for a week so yeah it's definitely still in the early stages!

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if its true, seems like a good fit IMO.

6 minutes ago, tyler453 said:

I believe Austin Ricci as well? They've only been around for a week so yeah it's definitely still in the early stages!

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if its true, seems like a good fit IMO.

Is that confirmed yet? I can’t recall. 

Not trying to say they aren’t necessarily legit, just that I’m unaware of more than one transfer rumour that they said before it was confirmed. 

Seems to be an Ontario account as virtually all their rumours have L1O connections (unless they’re blindingly obvious like Carducci). I guess we will see if more of these other rumours come true. 

As for Laval, Alex Bunbury has been telling anyone he can that he wants to put a team there. In October when I was at the trials in Vaughan it sounded like he was trying to drum up financial backing. If he did and if he’s got a line on a location, it’s certainly possible that it’s going forward. That’s a pretty quick piece of work but good on him if he got it done. 

1 hour ago, tyler453 said:

This accounts been pretty spot on so far, tweeted out a rumour that Laval is part of the expansion for 2020

https://twitter.com/CplTransfers/status/1071876565166903298

Random check in to see what the board was saying. Anyways the account quoted the Laval fan group who quoted an article of the trial in Laval. Bunbury‘s interest is we’ll documented but I’m skeptical for now.  It’s easy to throw out random predictions/“rumours” based on general knowledge and hit some to look legit