CPL new teams speculation

14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Nothing's impossible with $$$. Doable yes.

Not ideal. The Als are the primary tenant and I doubt they'd like a CPL team messing up with their pitch. Also, the stadium's to big.

The Stadium at Universite de Montreal is very accessible and the size makes sense. The University wouldn't mind private funds upgrading the stadium either.

CEPSUM

image.jpg

plan_campus.gif

ligne5.jpg

Never thought of the Cepsum as a possibility, but on location alone (have never actually attended an event there), it would actually be quite great!

I bring it up because Pete Schaad seems to like to lay out little CPL hints here and there and on the Voyageurs Cup leg1 broadcast talked about how him and Paul Dolan had a great day in Montreal and they had spent the afternoon checking out Mcgill Stadium and how it was unique venue. Seemed like a strange thing to do midweek. Unless thats a common attraction or something. Just seemed odd. A few months back when asked on local radio about the success of Atlanta United he went in to a big speel about soccer marketing. Ive worked in marketing so the comments stuck with me. Now thinking back he basically layed out the CPLs entire approach to team identities and marketing

Edited by SpursFlu

21 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I bring it up because Pete Schaad seems to like to lay out little CPL hints here and there and on the Voyageurs Cup leg1 broadcast talked about how him and Paul Dolan had a great day in Montreal and they had spent the afternoon checking out Mcgill Stadium and how it was unique venue. Seemed like a strange thing to do midweek. Unless thats a common attraction or something. Just seemed odd. A few months back when asked on local radio about the success of Atlanta United he went in to a big speel about soccer marketing. Ive worked in marketing so the comments stuck with me. Now thinking back he basically layed out the CPLs entire approach to team identities and marketing

This on CPL TV would be a huge statement indeed. Not even the Impact are located downtown

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMGTGb7BXyR9syQIgti0e

• 1 month later...

Many people in Mtl are disappointed with the direction IMFC is being taken by the FO, and with the ticket price hike and how they've been treating their supporters, many people dont feel welcome at Stade Saputo anymore. I see an opportunity for a more accessible team to come to Mtl.

I know many people who would go to CanPL games here in Mtl if there were some, instead of Stade Saputo which they can hardly afford anymore.

After the state of the league by Commissioner Clanachan, here's the candidates for expansion:

1. St. John’s, Newfoundland
  2. Moncton, New Brunswick
  3. Laval, Quebec
  4. Quebec City, Quebec
  5. Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario
  6. Niagara Region , Ontario (St. Catharines has the most population)
  7. Durham Region, Ontario (Oshawa area is the most populated)
  8. Mississauga, Ontario
  9. Regina, Saskatchewan
  10. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
  11. Lower Mainland, British Columbia (I would think Surrey)
  12. Kelowna, British Columbia
  13. Ottawa, Ontario from multiple parties

Let's not forget interest from:

• Saguenay, Quebec
  • Sherbrooke, Quebec

Notable absence:

• London, Ontario
  • Windsor, Ontario
  • Montreal, Toronto & Vancouver (I think they get addressed post 2026)

10 hours ago, Shakmur said:

Many people in Mtl are disappointed with the direction IMFC is being taken by the FO, and with the ticket price hike and how they've been treating their supporters, many people dont feel welcome at Stade Saputo anymore. I see an opportunity for a more accessible team to come to Mtl.

I know many people who would go to CanPL games here in Mtl if there were some, instead of Stade Saputo which they can hardly afford anymore.

I'm from Mtl (north part of the island, 5 min. drive from C. Robillard) and was a double S/T holder (Impact)  till this year. Would love to see a team in Laval (pop. over 400,000). I'd be one of the first to get S/T's.

Edited by MtlMario

19 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I'm from Mtl (north part of the island, 5 min. drive from C. Robillard) and was a double S/T holder (Impact)  till this year. Would love to see a team in Laval (pop. over 400,000). I'd be one of the first to get S/T's.

If there was a team on the South Shore of Montreal, I would also consider going to some of their games and maybe go for season tickets.   there is a stadium near the Longueuil Metro Seaway Park.   For a Laval North Shore team to work however it would have to be at Parc Cartier as it is situated just near the Metro Cartier station (Orange Line).

Just a thought.

FWIW if the ticket prices for IMFC are going up drastically, I may and will have to reconsider my options for season tickets to them or decide on a year to year basis.    What made you stop buying season tickets???

I stopped buying more because of the league than the team although for some reason since the  CPL talk, I didn't have the same passion for the team like before (and I've been a supporter since the Supra days). Now I will spend that money on t-shirts (bought 5 already, waiting for Winnipeg and Pacific) and going to as many out of town games as possible.

Edited by MtlMario

49 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

If there was a team on the South Shore of Montreal, I would also consider going to some of their games and maybe go for season tickets.   there is a stadium near the Longueuil Metro Seaway Park.   For a Laval North Shore team to work however it would have to be at Parc Cartier as it is situated just near the Metro Cartier station (Orange Line).

Just a thought.

FWIW if the ticket prices for IMFC are going up drastically, I may and will have to reconsider my options for season tickets to them or decide on a year to year basis.    What made you stop buying season tickets???

...see above

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

I stopped buying more because of the league than the team although for some reason since the  CPL talk, I didn't have the same passion for the team like before (and I've been a supporter sine the Supra days). Now I will spend that money on t-shirts (bought 5 already, waiting for Winnipeg and Pacific) and going to as many out of town games as possible.

I used to be a huge Impact fan being born there, raised there before moving to Toronto 10 years ago.

Like you said, MLS is a very hard league to care about. The Impact going far in the Champions League in 2009 with a Canadian heavy rosters seems to have shifted from that philosophy which for me was a profound disappointment.

Quality didnt matter to me as much... if I want quality, I have the world cup, Champions league or EPL. 

I'm supporting CPL because it our league and only fans can help build it up so it spends more money to get the quality to rival other CONCACAF leagues whilenbever losing sight of the importance of Canadian talents.

I see what CPL can do for Quebec soccer and Canadian soccer. That's something MLS and USL will never do because they could care less and it isn't their mandate to care.

Edited by Ansem

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

I used to be a huge Impact fan being born there, raised there before moving to Toronto 10 years ago.

Like you said, MLS is a very hard league to care about. The Impact going far in the Champions League in 2009 with a Canadian heavy rosters seems to have shifted from that philosophy which for me was a profound disappointment.

Quality didnt matter to me as much... if I want quality, I have the world cup, Champions league or EPL. 

I'm supporting CPL because it our league and only fans can help build it up so it spends more money to get the quality to rival other CONCACAF leagues whilenbever losing sight of the importance of Canadian talents.

I see what CPL can do for Quebec soccer and Canadian soccer. That's something MLS and USL will never do because they could care less and it isn't their mandate to care.

It shouldnt be CPLs job to care either, that's Canada Soccer's responsibility. The league should focus on becoming the best it possibly can, that should be any professional league's mandate

2 hours ago, zen said:

It shouldnt be CPLs job to care either, that's Canada Soccer's responsibility. The league should focus on becoming the best it possibly can, that should be any professional league's mandate

Once we get a second tier and impose strict quota on it, it will be time for CPL to be as elite as it can like the English system but we need a better pool first

Edited by Ansem

19 hours ago, Ansem said:

whilenbever

I'm not sure what this word is, but I am pretty sure the Canadian spelling is "whilenbeaver".

Fun fact about this word. A google search on it doesn't give you any "did you mean?" suggestion, and you are returned exactly 1 result (from a rock and roll forum, 12 years ago). So Ansem might be the 2nd person to ever type this thing in the history of the internet.

53 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm not sure what this word is, but I am pretty sure the Canadian spelling is "whilenbeaver".

Fun fact about this word. A google search on it doesn't give you any "did you mean?" suggestion, and you are returned exactly 1 result (from a rock and roll forum, 12 years ago). So Ansem might be the 2nd person to ever type this thing in the history of the internet.

Now I have extra motivation to be banned from this forum, so I can come back and troll as "Whilenbeaver".

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Latest from Paul Beirne:

https://underthecoshblog.com/2018/09/14/showcase-and-growth-the-canadian-premier-leagues-aspirations/

The league is working hard to add another franchise in order to start a coast-to-coast league with eight clubs, and we “should expect a few more announcements in the coming weeks”, adds Beirne, with excitement.

in fantasy land if CanPL was good enough to attract interest from border teams in places like Bellingham (played in the PCSL), Detroit (owners who may outgrow NPSL), Saint Pierre y Miquelon (maybe kidding on that one), would most people be against it full-stop? Think Vegas in the CFL for that weird season. I can't imagine they'd agree to a minimum quota of Canadians on their roster so will likely be a non-starter.

7 minutes ago, xcalibre said:

in fantasy land if CanPL was good enough to attract interest from border teams in places like Bellingham (played in the PCSL), Detroit (owners who may outgrow NPSL), Saint Pierre y Miquelon (maybe kidding on that one), would most people be against it full-stop? Think Vegas in the CFL for that weird season. I can't imagine they'd agree to a minimum quota of Canadians on their roster so will likely be a non-starter.

No interest whatsoever for me.  It would open the door to an ever increasing American presence in the league (see NHL for how that story ends), it would dilute the identity of the league, and it would mitigate one of the major upsides - opponents that fans can get excited about.  Not to mention the fact that it would put USL in an unnecessarily adversarial position.

On 9/14/2018 at 2:49 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Latest from Paul Beirne:

https://underthecoshblog.com/2018/09/14/showcase-and-growth-the-canadian-premier-leagues-aspirations/

The league is working hard to add another franchise in order to start a coast-to-coast league with eight clubs, and we “should expect a few more announcements in the coming weeks”, adds Beirne, with excitement.

Really curious as to what city could join at this point to be ready in time. I'd have to think having access to a stadium would be no.1 criteria at this point.

4 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Really curious as to what city could join at this point to be ready in time. I'd have to think having access to a stadium would be no.1 criteria at this point.

Or at least an agreement in place to build. Accepted teams like Victoria still have a lot left to do to get their grounds ready for kickoff. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

No interest whatsoever for me.  It would open the door to an ever increasing American presence in the league (see NHL for how that story ends), it would dilute the identity of the league, and it would mitigate one of the major upsides - opponents that fans can get excited about.  Not to mention the fact that it would put USL in an unnecessarily adversarial position.

Agreed. I think it would really diminish the overall allure of the competition. 

15 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Or at least an agreement in place to build. Accepted teams like Victoria still have a lot left to do to get their grounds ready for kickoff. 

If the league starts in late April/early May there isn't much of a window left for building. I'm not even sure how teams like Victoria are doing it. Though Victoria probably isn't as affected by winter construction season as most other places in Canada...

Which is why I think any team that joins for 2019 at this point would need to have access to something that already exists or requires very little work...

Edited by mpg_29