Octavio Zambrano

RJB

35 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

In the interview, he references "the U-20s going to Mexico". Is that the next official tournament and anyone know when that is?

There isn't another major U-20 tournament until 2019, I imagine it could be another camp with friendlies like they've done previously with the youth teams.

12 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don't think that is reading too much at all, it is what I took from it as well. That said, he seem to be referring to the newer guys who he hadn't seen before, which is why I think Aleman might be the chief guy he is referring to

Aleman didn't impress, for sure.  He might also see Osorio more as a sub than as a starter.

He likes Kaye.  He looks to have taken over the jack of all trades title from Straith (who took it from Ledgerwood, who took it from Pozniak).  I like his athleticism but I'm not so sure he'll take his game to the next level, as the cliché goes, but we'll see.

It was interesting that with the green newbies brought in for this match, Chapman didn't get a call up.  I wasn't surprised by it myself, but I thought more would mention his absence, considering that OZ is looking to the future.

7 hours ago, matty said:

When did I knock him? I was making a statement about this fanbase and made it before the game was over.

Like seriously before el Salvador scored like ten guys were complaining about November and since have complained about other things and I've defended him

I actually wasted my time and went back and checked if 10 guys were complaining about November before ES scored and "turning on OZ". A few people complained about the decision without blaming OZ, close to an equal number defended the likely reasoning behind the decision and the only one who mentioned anything regarding this being Oz's decision and fans turning on him for it was drumroll please: YOU though to be fair you do seem to take the side of those defending the decision. Still you seem prone to making a lot of blanket statements about what other people are thinking when it is mostly what you are thinking. You did the same thing with the list of possible replacements for Floro in which you had your own list and I think a single article with a similar list and then posted continually about it and then claimed it was an established, generally accepted list even though almost no one on here liked or agreed with your list. And since someone well outside the type of coach represented on your list was picked you have been very skeptical of OZ since then.

On 10/8/2017 at 12:19 PM, matty said:

Guessing the reason he's saying this is basically our last camp is because of the MLS play-offs. If he doesn't use November, he'll damage his rep with fans and maybe some players. 

Not shocked by the litmus test comment or wanting a higher level than some are offering. Once the Nations League starts, Canada's going to be spending money and playing a lot of weaker teams likely. Save money now.

No one is going to turn on OZ because of us not having a November friendly even though most of use would prefer if we did. If there are another 3 or 4 uninspired performances like this one in a row then people will start to turn on him including myself. I suspect the next games will have a better squad and better performance and this will be forgotten as a one-off poor game but that all remains to be seen. 

1 minute ago, Grizzly said:

I actually wasted my time and went back and checked if 10 guys were complaining about November before ES scored and "turning on OZ". A few people complained about the decision without blaming OZ, close to an equal number defended the likely reasoning behind the decision and the only one who mentioned anything regarding this being Oz's decision and fans turning on him for it was drumroll please: YOU though to be fair you do seem to take the side of those defending the decision.

There was criticism of us possibly not playing next month and I made a LIGHT statement about that criticism. The reason I made the comment is mainly because it was a reaction to his comments and to be fair he is one of the two biggest changes to the program so it's likely he has a big say in what's going on with it and people here are likely gonna become critical at things like this.

6 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Still you seem prone to making a lot of blanket statements about what other people are thinking when it is mostly what you are thinking. You did the same thing with the list of possible replacements for Floro in which you had your own list and I think a single article with a similar list and then posted continually about it and then claimed it was an established, generally accepted list even though almost no one on here liked or agreed with your list.

I posted several articles over that thing and often cited press buzz and positions from guys like Larson, Forrest, Totera and sites like MLS on it. I was observer trends and I think most did agree with the model of a CONCACAF/MLS guy.

16 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

And since someone well outside the type of coach represented on your list was picked you have been very skeptical of OZ since then.

He was just outside what I was looking at and at first I said I was cautiously optimistic about him and I now have faith that the program is in the right hands.

18 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

No one is going to turn on OZ because of us not having a November friendly even though most of use would prefer if we did. If there are another 3 or 4 uninspired performances like this one in a row then people will start to turn on him including myself. I suspect the next games will have a better squad and better performance and this will be forgotten as a one-off poor game but that all remains to be seen. 

No one's gonna turn on him but there will be disappointment given past statements about "using every window" from several other key players in the CSA (including Steve Reed IIRC). We're already seeing fairly annoying pissiness about 1 game windows which may or may not be on him.

I agree with everything else you say here.

What most tees me off about this result is that we lost momentum coming out of Gold Cup and Octavio's good start. And we had no reason to lose it, or the game. There were some basic errors here, starting with not playing in Canada (perfect opportunity to take the nats to a new place, perhaps), playing in that heat, and, above all, not playing for a necessary win as we strive to move up in rankings and position ourselves better for the next WCQ round.

The USA getting knocked out has made me so happy that I have pretty well forgotten about what I just wrote, like 14 seconds ago.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 12:26 AM, nolando said:

A  scandal emerged during his time in Ecuador before Delfin.

He fell out with his second-last club, El Nacional, after blowing the whistle over allegations the club were using players as old as 21 in the national youth league designed for U17s. 

The official punishment from the federation tribunal was six months away from coaching in Ecuador :

http://www.estadio.ec/articulo/octavio-zambrano-fue-sancionado-por-6-meses

http://www.estadio.ec/articulo/zambrano-dejó-su-cargo-y-volvió-hablar-de-los-juveniles

So, is he an honorable whistleblower, a shitdisturber seeing revenge, or generally a magnet for trouble? Hard to say but he certainly has been surrounded with some uncertainty and drama over his career.

I predict we will have some interesting times ahead...

https://mobile.twitter.com/oz_football

Edit: I see he retweeted the "Thank You Julian"  CSA tweet on Jan. 30 which might have signaled his interest in the position, I assume.

Interesting in retrospect...

• 10 months later...

I am not sure but I don't recall this being posted anywhere before. I thought I would check what Zambrano was doing out of curiosity. He has been coaching Deportivo Independiente Medellin since June. They are one of Colombia's biggest clubs though not as big as their fierce cross town rival Nacional. Zambrano previously coached Deportivo Pereira in Colombia. Independiente have had a reasonably good season under Zambrano, finishing 5th in the table in the Clausura and have advanced to the semi-final in the playoffs. They play Wednesday against defending champions and first place in table, Tolima, at home in the first leg of the two game playoff. 5th is probably about average for Independiente but many of the bigger teams like America, Millionarios and the aforementioned Nacional did not even make the playoffs in this clausura. Not a bad place for him to land after his time with Canada. One wonders if him signing with Independiente might have reduced the amount of remaining salary we had to pay him.

https://www.efe.com/efe/english/sports/octavio-zambrano-named-as-new-coach-of-colombian-club-independiente-medellin/50000266-3651630

Canada was smart enough to get him. I wonder why the US never tried to hire Zambrano as a coach. And what's interesting is that Canada which doesn't have a large Hispanic population either in general or soccer playing got 2 Spanish speaking coaches in a row while the US with a noticeable Hispanic soccer community never had even one such coach.

5 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Canada was smart enough to get him. I wonder why the US never tried to hire Zambrano as a coach. And what's interesting is that Canada which doesn't have a large Hispanic population either in general or soccer playing got 2 Spanish speaking coaches in a row while the US with a noticeable Hispanic soccer community never had even one such coach.

My understanding is they used the same agent for Floro and Zam so that is likely the connection there.

15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I am not sure but I don't recall this being posted anywhere before. I thought I would check what Zambrano was doing out of curiosity. He has been coaching Deportivo Independiente Medellin since June. They are one of Colombia's biggest clubs though not as big as their fierce cross town rival Nacional. Zambrano previously coached Deportivo Pereira in Colombia. Independiente have had a reasonably good season under Zambrano, finishing 5th in the table in the Clausura and have advanced to the semi-final in the playoffs. They play Wednesday against defending champions and first place in table, Tolima, at home in the first leg of the two game playoff. 5th is probably about average for Independiente but many of the bigger teams like America, Millionarios and the aforementioned Nacional did not even make the playoffs in this clausura. Not a bad place for him to land after his time with Canada. One wonders if him signing with Independiente might have reduced the amount of remaining salary we had to pay him.

https://www.efe.com/efe/english/sports/octavio-zambrano-named-as-new-coach-of-colombian-club-independiente-medellin/50000266-3651630

Thanks to this post, I impressed some people at an engineering company today, when one woman said she was from a place in Colombia that no one had heard of. And then said Tolima, and I chirped: "I know Tolima, they won the clausura in Colombia this year". Which I have no idea if it is really true or not. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks to this post, I impressed some people at an engineering company today, when one woman said she was from a place in Colombia that no one had heard of. And then said Tolima, and I chirped: "I know Tolima, they won the clausura in Colombia this year". Which I have no idea if it is really true or not. 

It was the aperatura that they won but they are the current champions and still in the running for the Clausura. They will be in the final if they get by Zambrano's Independiente.

https://thebogotapost.com/tolima-crowned-liga-aguila-champions/30757/

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic