Octavio Zambrano

RJB

43 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Edwards (I believe  his mother is from Jamaica) , Osorio (  Columbia ) and Bernier ( Haiti )are duels nationals

Not exactly. You need citizenship and a passport to be a dual and Columbia and Haiti have some odd laws on the books.

Honestly I'd rather figure out who is a Canadian rather than who is a dual. Me suspects Bono but that's literally based on me being bored and nothing else. Can you imagine if he had a Canadian parent? The CSA would be running at him with a jersey

Edited by matty

1 minute ago, matty said:

Not exactly. You need citizenship and a passport to be a dual and Columbia and Haiti have some odd laws on the books.

Honestly I'd rather figure out who is a Canadian rather than who is a dual. Me suspects Bono but that's literally based on me being bored and nothing else.

It's pretty easy to get  Haitian citizenship and a passport. Look at Haiti's ball hockey team. Bernier could have played for them at the World Championships this year had he retired from soccer.  And all the players are pretty much like Bernier ie Canadian citizens who are from Haitian descent. Want other examples? Look at Josué Duverger and Jimmy Sanon who played for Haiti as youth players who are born in Canada but played for Haiti at the latest U20 CONCACAF Championship.

6 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

It's pretty easy to get  Haitian citizenship and a passport. Look at Haiti's ball hockey team. Bernier could have played for them at the World Championships this year had he retired from soccer.  And all the players are pretty much like Bernier ie Canadian citizens who are from Haitian descent. Want other examples? Look at Josué Duverger and Jimmy Sanon who played for Haiti as youth players who are born in Canada but played for Haiti at the latest U20 CONCACAF Championship.

I get that but there are questions with their laws. For example and this is from the Wikipedia on it "A child with Haitian parents born outside of Haiti may dually acquire the citizenship of their birth country. At the age of eighteen, the child must renounce one of their nationalities."

I'm sure there are easy ways around it

Like Italy, look at the law -  child born outside of Italy with at least one Italian parent (or grandparent, etc) can only acquire Italian nationality if the child was born prior to the parent (or grandparent, etc) becoming a citizen of another country. Not many would qualify if law is applied to the letter. That being the case, quite a lot of Argentines and Brazilians seem to get Italian citizenship despite both parents being born in the new world. Stuffed envelopes, dare I say...

Edited by BCM

• 4 weeks later...

Article from today's Toronto Star

Sounds like Oz has been busy. His plan, if approved, may address many of the concerns posted on this board with respect to comprehensive scouting for talent and not relying on the 3 MLS teams/academies

https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2017/10/06/national-soccer-coach-octavio-zambrano-says-plenty-of-canadian-talent-still-out-there.html

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

If they can't get top scouts, they should bring in former Canadian players and coaches. 

I really hope CSA approves what Oz wants to do. They really need to create some sort of scouting development.

Oz is doing a great job.

What top scouts that are former Canadian players and coaches do you know of?

Getting top scouts might be really  expensive, the CSA might not have cash. So  an alternative could be former players and coaches. 

Just some names that come to mind

Jim Brennan . Was a scout and  assistant  GM of Toronto FC. 

Mauro Biello will be out of job in the next few weeks. He could be a scout and he could be the next head coach of the U17 or U20 teams 

Tomasz Radzinski - former   Technical director of an European club,   Currently a partner of an agency.

Alex Bunbury - doing some camps in an Africa country ( I can't remember what country, he was doing a interview on the radio) 

Kevin McKenna-  Assistant coach of 1. FC Köln youth team - could be part of the Canadian youth teams.

Paul Peschisolido - former manager in England. His wife is Karren Brady ( west ham) 

Dwayne De Rosario -  running a private camps now for kids.

Paul Dolan - former National team goalie coach. 

Pat Onstad -  Assistant coach of Columbus crew 

Julian De Guzman - manager of ottawa fury ( if things don't work out) 

Rob Gale 

Stephen Hart

Holger Osieck

Frank Yallop

Also this could be a good way to develop more coaches and staff for Canada and maybe CPL etc. I'm sure all or some of the former players would be fired up to help rebuild the program. 

Edited by SpecialK

@SpecialK look I understand your idea here; to develop Canadian coaches and staff, but tbh I just don't see ALL of these people that you mentioned to be successful. We need scouts from other countries in UEFA that know what they're doing and that we know will get the job done right 

All my respect to Jason Devos but he's trying not doing, according to him development in Canada will take 10 years, holy shit we need a new mentality 

Finding Canadians around the world who can play for us is not a matter of scouting, it is more administrative and legal in nature. And then, on top of that, scouting is relatively unimportant for national teams. 

The clubs of the world scout and sign players and are the best judge of quality. All national teams, including the very best, end up respecting the decisions of clubs and use them as their way of looking at and evaluating players. Do we need scouts to find out what semi-Canadians are doing on odd clubs? No, we do not. You ask for a few videos, they'll oblige you and only if you really want to see more you go and see a match or two.

The scouting network that needs to be created is at the Provincial team level. How many stories have we heard of the coaches loading up the team with their guys from club level? There needs to be a paid, full-time scout that has the power to supercede the coaches decisions on personnel, or else you'll get good kids who are not considered for Nat. youth teams because he wasn't on one of the big youth clubs.

In terms of coaches find Canadian coaches first, guys that have had some success winning and coaching actual teams, rather than guys who have never really actually coached teams but have been technical directors or you know camp directors. We need guys who know what it’s like to coach teams to win, to know what’s it’s like to coach under pressure and make adjustments. Look everywhere for Canadian coaches, some are right in our backyard. They are a few coaches even in the amateur ranks, or even at the University and College levels here in Canada who year in year out win national championships, have a look at guys like that who know how to coach and win.

On 7/10/2017 at 12:19 AM, jpg75 said:

The scouting network that needs to be created is at the Provincial team level. How many stories have we heard of the coaches loading up the team with their guys from club level? There needs to be a paid, full-time scout that has the power to supercede the coaches decisions on personnel, or else you'll get good kids who are not considered for Nat. youth teams because he wasn't on one of the big youth clubs.

Okay, you are talking about scouting youth? First, it is normally done by modest pro scouts, with technical knowledge, not former pros.

And yes, youth has to be scouted, but we have a problem: no properly competitive youth leagues. We have artificial HP leagues and similar players pay to get into, and they have a limited no. of teams, and no pro-releg. So there is no way you can really know if a player is any good in Canadian youth system, until they play for an MLS residency and go the N American championships and the like, a few games. Otherwise, it is hard to tell, and no team is really playing for keeps. 

Any properly competitive league lets you see how a good player for a more modest club can stand out. 

If this was our last game of the year, Zambrano closes 2017 at 3-2-2 with 10 goals scored and 7 against for a +3 GD. Not terrible, pretty decent actually coming off a WCQ elimination. I wonder what our record was in our first 7 games under Floro?

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

If this was our last game of the year, Zambrano closes 2017 at 3-2-2 with 10 goals scored and 7 against for a +3 GD. Not terrible, pretty decent actually coming off a WCQ elimination. I wonder what our record was in our first 7 games under Floro?

It was shit but it was also more active and many against stronger teams. Remember one of Oz's games didn't count for fifa too.

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic