Octavio Zambrano

RJB

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Yes there were. There were about half a million Latinos serving in the US army during WWII. 

I had thought of that after I posted, thinking of mostly Central and South American countries and later Latinos in the American forces. But the point I was trying to make was the OP seemed to be calling into question the spirit of the CMNT and the thought of the stereotypical Latino rolling around the turf in ersatz pain was laughable.

While we are being historically accurate, American troops at D-Day were about half of the landing force, approx 73,000 according to some estimates.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

6 hours ago, Kent said:

This thread took a bit of a turn. I can't see how this could go bad. Just talking about race and World War 2.

I wouldn't mind talking about WWII.  I pulled the trigger a bit fast in the post above which wasn't too good for a guy who has seen all the episodes of The World at War at least fifty times, no word of lie  :)

Oh yeah, Zambrano, good coach I like him.  I have to say I missed the whole hiring process when I was on a little hiatus from the board, were there any other serious candidates?

• 4 weeks later...

Having the ability to talk English and communicate well is a huge thing. While the former is really a bonus it's the latter what makes Zambrano a huge step up from floro. It's his demeanor, his enthusiasm and positivity. Not looking to our weaknesses all the time but accentuating the positives. It is a breath of fresh air that has translated to the pitch so far. 

19 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Having the ability to talk English and communicate well is a huge thing. While the former is really a bonus it's the latter what makes Zambrano a huge step up from floro. It's his demeanor, his enthusiasm and positivity. Not looking to our weaknesses all the time but accentuating the positives. It is a breath of fresh air that has translated to the pitch so far. 

I was watching the all access video Canada Soccer posted on youtube about the game in Honduras and the one of the more noticeable parts was when Canada scored everyone got super excited except for Floro who sat in his chair and barely reacted when James ran to him and gave him a hug. I'm happy he's gone the man had no passion for the job whatsoever.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Zambrano sounds like a a Coach!

Seriously must be some crazy tesho hate. Justified dropping him because this game he would get his chance. Must be hugely frustrating for him. 

Surely deserved minutes more than ricketts. I am however a fan of what I have seen of tesho this year though so I have bias. We don't know how he is in training though and as northvansteve says maybe doesn't fit the tactics. If argue he is a strong player up top though but he plays more like a 10 dropping deep and setting up play for Dallas. Which is weird. He looked good doing it when I watched though. Against Vancouver in particular. 

Can't see him doing worse than Larin who is fast becoming the Andy Cole of Canadian soccer. 

12 hours ago, toontownman said:

Seriously must be some crazy tesho hate. Justified dropping him because this game he would get his chance. Must be hugely frustrating for him. 

Surely deserved minutes more than ricketts. I am however a fan of what I have seen of tesho this year though so I have bias. We don't know how he is in training though and as northvansteve says maybe doesn't fit the tactics. If argue he is a strong player up top though but he plays more like a 10 dropping deep and setting up play for Dallas. Which is weird. He looked good doing it when I watched though. Against Vancouver in particular. 

Can't see him doing worse than Larin who is fast becoming the Andy Cole of Canadian soccer. 

How does he deserve more minutes than Ricketts?

13 hours ago, toontownman said:

Tesho is not a pure striker, pure wing or pure attacking mid. I saw him too vs Caps and I thought he was good, not flashy, played well but not spectacularly. I think, as said, he could come on like a Ricketts, and he does score, breaking into holes behind a striker or up the side. That is a very specific role, in any case, and you are not always going to be called upon to play it for Canada. 

Re comparing with Ricketts. He is more technical, has more control of the ball, and has consistently scored more in MLS. Ricketts you could argue is in a similar position, when called on he does the job, tends to rely on more frantic or intense attacking, Tesho plays in more controlled attacks. I think he is more of a team player, Ricketts maybe has a bit more drive or push, so for me, they could have a similar role. Perhaps, it could be argued, Tossaint can be asked to drop back and defend with more intensity than Tesho.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic