Octavio Zambrano

RJB

6 hours ago, canta15 said:

How does he deserve more minutes than Ricketts?

I'm not on a quest to rag on Tosaint just for the record. I think he can be effective for Canada like he can be from the bench in the league. It is important also to stress we don't know what happens in training and what the attitude and application of all the players is. I trust Zambrano's choices, doesn't make me any less disappointed to not see Tesho though. Maybe Zambrano is looking to light a fire and see a reaction. 

However to answer your question and drag you down to my level of thinking ..

Going off Zambrano's comments at the gold cup this was a game for those that missed out on the gold cup squad and this would be a chance to really look at the depth of the squad. 

Ricketts is the definition of tried and tested for Canada. I get tactically maybe he wanted more pace on the pitch to stretch play a little with the tired Jamaican legs but I'd just hoped Tesho would get his chance. 

Tesho has played double the amount of games as Ricketts this season. He is generally a starter for his club not a bit part player. Granted they have similar stats in goals and assists over that big gap in time but its not just about those statistics. I think he has do While they are different players with different skill sets I prefer what Tesho can bring to the team and think he deserves the chance to show it.   

I think it shows how important it is to use these international breaks to have two games so the entire squad gets the chance to play. 

Akindele has not played double the games of Ricketts this season and is not generally a starter in his club. He started 12 of 24 games played in the league and stayed on the bench once, started 1 of 4 champions league games and 0 of 3 open cup games

13 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Akindele has not played double the games of Ricketts this season and is not generally a starter in his club. He started 12 of 24 games played in the league and stayed on the bench once, started 1 of 4 champions league games and 0 of 3 open cup games

True....but Tesho has played almost double the league minutes (1214 to 646).....but Tosaint has as many league goals, more assists and more shots.

I feel bad for Tesho this year

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Tesho is not a pure striker, pure wing or pure attacking mid. I saw him too vs Caps and I thought he was good, not flashy, played well but not spectacularly. I think, as said, he could come on like a Ricketts, and he does score, breaking into holes behind a striker or up the side. That is a very specific role, in any case, and you are not always going to be called upon to play it for Canada. 

Re comparing with Ricketts. He is more technical, has more control of the ball, and has consistently scored more in MLS. Ricketts you could argue is in a similar position, when called on he does the job, tends to rely on more frantic or intense attacking, Tesho plays in more controlled attacks. I think he is more of a team player, Ricketts maybe has a bit more drive or push, so for me, they could have a similar role. Perhaps, it could be argued, Tossaint can be asked to drop back and defend with more intensity than Tesho.

I agree with this. Both Tesho and Ricketts are second forwards with Ricketts having a bit more ability and workrate to lead up front. Both would work well in 2 striker system but when we look our 4-3-3, playing Tesho would have to be balanced by a defensive workhorse on the other side like Raheem or Davies. If you think of replacements in our starting XI in our system, Tesho would be a direct swap for Hoilett and Rickets would swap for AJH. 

Can we stop calling it a 4-3-3? It's a 4-1-4-1; our CM's are advanced and central, our "wingers" are pulled back.

4-1-4-1:

---------------------CF------------------

LW--------CM--------CM-------RW

--------------------DM------------------

4-3-3:

LW-------------------------------------RW

-----------LM---------------RM---------

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Can we stop calling it a 4-3-3? It's a 4-1-4-1; our CM's are advanced and central, our "wingers" are pulled back.

4-1-4-1:

Very accurate 

Edited by Thomas

17 hours ago, jpg75 said:

4-1-4-1:

4-3-3:

LW-------------------------------------RW

-----------LM---------------RM---------

If you want to get even more technical, in a 4-1-4-1 the wings plays as left and right midfielders

41 minutes ago, Mike Thompson said:

Did Floro ever pursue dual nationals like OZ is doing? 

I remember Hoilett joined Oct 2015 vs Ghana in Washington DC @ RFK Stadium 

Hoilett, Arfield, Tesho, Aird, James, Vitoria, Lefevre

Leutwiler also came into the picture

Edited by matty

On 10/9/2017 at 10:16 PM, Dominic94 said:

James is a Dual ?

I watched one of the GC matches online in a Central American stream, and they said that every player on the pitch for Canada had dual citizenship, they made a point of emphasizing it. And they mentioned the one player that didn't, was on the bench or something like that. I don't recall now exactly which match that was.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I watched one of the GC matches online in a Central American stream, and they said that every player on the pitch for Canada had dual citizenship, they made a point of emphasizing it. And they mentioned the one player that didn't, was on the bench or something like that. I don't recall now exactly which match that was.

False because Samuel Piette isn't a dual and played every minute but I think besides him they could have been right.

6 minutes ago, Keegan said:

False because Samuel Piette isn't a dual and played every minute but I think besides him they could have been right.

Maybe that was it then, Piette the exception. All I recall was some stat like that in a Costa Rican or the like stream.

If that is the case with Piette, why has he been able to be in Europe over such a long period, even before the age of 18 then, just wondering?

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Maybe that was it then, Piette the exception. All I recall was some stat like that in a Costa Rican or the like stream.

If that is the case with Piette, why has he been able to be in Europe over such a long period, even before the age of 18 then, just wondering?

He could only train with clubs and had to wait until his 18th birthday to get into matches overseas IIRC he couldn't even play on youth teams.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yeah I'm calling bs on that too. Piette is not. Guessing a few of Crepeau, Kaye, Larin, Edwards, Bernier and Osorio are not either.

I believe one, if not both, of Edwards parents is Jamaican but that doesn't necessarily mean he has the passport.

Edited by BCM

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This shouldn't be all that surprising. We are a country of immigrants for the most part.

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unlocked this topic