Shamit Shome

shermanator

41 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Matthew Doyle ("MLS analyst" on twitter) doesnt think Shome will be drafted in first round and said he spoke to several people who wouldnt draft him at all.

Quite frankly, that lines up with what I have seen of Shome.

I think a lot of this is based on his performances at the combine. I watched 2 of the games Shamit played in and I agree there were moments were he did not look like a top 10 prospect at all, but there were moments where his vision, and movement off the ball are exactly what teams need from a cm player. Can we really judge his MLS future on a few combine games playing with guys he's never even seen before? I think a real sense of what Shamit brings comes from watching him play for FC Edmonton and the National teams. He is a piece to a teams puzzle, put him in a USL squad, let him develop and if it goes well in a few years he's a stud, if not then has that team really lost anything. The potential is there and its scary good.

34 minutes ago, coach_86 said:

I think a lot of this is based on his performances at the combine. I watched 2 of the games Shamit played in and I agree there were moments were he did not look like a top 10 prospect at all, but there were moments where his vision, and movement off the ball are exactly what teams need from a cm player. Can we really judge his MLS future on a few combine games playing with guys he's never even seen before? I think a real sense of what Shamit brings comes from watching him play for FC Edmonton and the National teams. He is a piece to a teams puzzle, put him in a USL squad, let him develop and if it goes well in a few years he's a stud, if not then has that team really lost anything. The potential is there and its scary good.

I hope that's not the case.

Doyle did a Stock up/Stock Down analysis from the combine and you can get an idea of his view on things with the Stock Up players:

Daniel Johnson
Joe Holland
Zeiko Lewis
Colton Storm

Holland is a '93, Storm is a '94 and Johnson and Lewis are '95s.  They better look head and shoulders above that opposition.

The only one that didn't fit the above mold was Reid after the first game, but that's most likely because Doyle had no idea about Adonijah before seeing him play that first game.

31 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I hope not. I would want him to play in the US and avoid the scrutiny.

We have such low expectations of our soccer players. Surely the pressure of being a low draft pick in Toronto isnt insurmountable.

2 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

We have such low expectations of our soccer players. Surely the pressure of being a low draft pick in Toronto isnt insurmountable.

Fair enough, but any Canadian playing for a Canadian team is going to face pressures they wouldn't otherwise face and I for one would rather a 19 year old kid who shows some real promise develop at team where he can fly under the radar at times.

It's easy to hate on Matthew Doyle because he didn't have the greatest opinion of a Canadian player, but he does know his stuff, and is usually actually one of the biggest fans of Canadian players (He's biiiiig on Jay Chapman). If he's saying Shome probably won't get drafted in the first round it's likely based on talking to scouts and GMs from around the team. Now of course this could all be smoke screening. 

I just get a little weirded out when people try to tear at someone's reputation simply because he has an opinion that isn't very popular.

12 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Something I have found from my years of following the draft. The draft boards aren't very good. Especially outside of the top couple. This isn't the NHL, it's more like the MLB.

Amen. To go a step further, the funniest is how every year people are like "woah thats a reach!" when in reality there's zero consensus on this draft. TFC drafting Endoh was considered a giant reach, but for where he was drafted he was a solid pick. 

Not sure how Shome in off-season form, playing with players he doesn't know, and playing at least some of the time out of position would have been expected to go out and look great. Additionally, if teams are thinking they can watch a couple of combine games and know a player, I'm not sure what to say. Any team that went back and watched film on his FCE time would know whether he was worth it to them or not, poor combine performance or no.

1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

The biggest hurdle to Shome succeeding in Toronto is the fact that he plays a very similar game to Chapman. Personally, I think that would actually be the worst place he could end up.

38 minutes ago, shermanator said:

The biggest hurdle to Shome succeeding in Toronto is the fact that he plays a very similar game to Chapman. Personally, I think that would actually be the worst place he could end up.

Personally, I'd like to see him go to Montreal and learn under Bernier. That's the Canadian player I think he could emulate.

6 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Personally, I'd like to see him go to Montreal and learn under Bernier. That's the Canadian player I think he could emulate.

Unfortunately Montreal has no USL team anymore, so if he doesn't play with the first team right away it'll be tough for him to get minutes.