Shamit Shome

shermanator

8 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

not to mention he plays a position that isn't hard to find on the cheap at a capable MLS level. 

I think this is the big issue. defensive center minds are a dime a dozen.

if he was standing out in the NASL for 1v1 play or goal scoring etc, that'd be different. He's easily replaceable.

I don't know where all of this talk that Shome is a defensive center mid is coming from. He played primarily attacking mid, or on the wing, but was heavily involved in the attack. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting "defensive center mid" as defensive mid, which was Ledgerwood's position for the entire 2016 season?

I only watched a bit of the first combine game, but his team was outright terrible, and he was the only player actually creating anything in the midfield for his club in the second half. Hell, they had him at right back for a while in the first half. Don't know what happened in the other two combine games, but if MLS scouts put more stock in a combine game than an entire NASL season, then that really says more about how they view NASL than anything else.

Update: Looks like he's been drafted by Montreal. Which means, he's in Ottawa in 2017 I guess? Not sure how I feel about that landing spot, but hopefully Bernier can take him under his wing.

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I wish Shome all the best but it was enjoyable watching Steve Sandor meltdown on Twitter as Shome slipped. Shome is apparently the Gretzky of soccer and all MLS teams are idiots for not taking him first overall or whatever.

Yes, but all the MLS pundits, not Canadians BTW, had him in the top 10. So it is not like Sandor was thinking anything less than anyone else in the press.

I wish Shome all the best but it was enjoyable watching Steve Sandor meltdown on Twitter as Shome slipped. Shome is apparently the Gretzky of soccer and all MLS teams are idiots for not taking him first overall or whatever.

Yes it's awesome when something happens to upset a consistent and dedicated supporter of soccer in Canada, one who has unselfishly spent 1000s of hours and 1000s of dollars of his own money trying to promote Canadian soccer and its players. It should be celebrated. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yes, but all the MLS pundits, not Canadians BTW, had him in the top 10. So it is not like Sandor was thinking anything less than anyone else in the press.

Where did you see that? In early mock drafts maybe but by the time of the draft Ives, and MLS soccer didn't have him that high. 

In the end he got a shot at making an MLS team which is what everyone else gets. 

I know this is a Canadian fan board but was he an all star in nasl? If he's an attacking kid how many goals did he score? I never watched him so I honestly don't know how good he is. I just thought he was a solid NASL player. 

20 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

In the end he got a shot at making an MLS team which is what everyone else gets. 

I know this is a Canadian fan board but was he an all star in nasl? If he's an attacking kid how many goals did he score? I never watched him so I honestly don't know how good he is. I just thought he was a solid NASL player. 

Yeah, I saw him a few times and he didn't stand out in any way to me. If he can prove to be a solid MLS contributor in the next few years I would be pretty content. He has the opportunity now which is all you can ask.

37 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Where did you see that? In early mock drafts maybe but by the time of the draft Ives, and MLS soccer didn't have him that high. 

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/04/armchair-analyst-2017-mock-superdraft-v1-0

I think Doyle is about as MLS soccer as you can get. He had him 8th a week ago.

In the second, two days ago, he is not in the top 20. But look the immediate comments, on Shome not being there. 

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/13/armchair-analyst-2017-mock-superdraft-v2-0

In any case, you'd have to ask MLS why a guy who rated top 10 one week after playing a pro season, would somehow drop off because a bunch of NCAA guys had a good combine for a 5 days.

I am wondering whether anyone picking him would have to share or pick up the transfer fee to Edmonton, or whether his salary requirements were somehow higher.

4 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes it's awesome when something happens to upset a consistent and dedicated supporter of soccer in Canada, one who has unselfishly spent 1000s of hours and 1000s of dollars of his own money trying to promote Canadian soccer and its players. It should be celebrated. 

I agree. Sandor's is the most tedious, inane and jingoistic of the major commentators on the sport in this country. I'm sure he works hard but that that's not correlated with insight or quality. How valuable for the Canadian game was his boosting and cheerleading of FC Montreal via his 'Canadian player minutes scorecard' this summer when anyone with half a brain could see what a fiasco that team was? Do you honestly believe, as Sandor apparently does, that Shome is too technically gifted for every single MLS front office to properly evaluate?

13 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I agree. Sandor's is the most tedious, inane and jingoistic of the major commentators on the sport in this country. I'm sure he works hard but that that's not correlated with insight or quality. How valuable for the Canadian game was his boosting and cheerleading of FC Montreal via his 'Canadian player minutes scorecard' this summer when anyone with half a brain could see what a fiasco that team was? Do you honestly believe, as Sandor apparently does, that Shome is too technically gifted for every single MLS front office to properly evaluate?

Harsh.

i think Sandor over rates Shome, but Sandor is a great guy and does a lot for the game in this country.

52 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/04/armchair-analyst-2017-mock-superdraft-v1-0

In the second, two days ago, he is not in the top 20. But look the immediate comments, on Shome not being there. 

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/13/armchair-analyst-2017-mock-superdraft-v2-0

In any case, you'd have to ask MLS why a guy who rated top 10 one week after playing a pro season, would somehow drop off because a bunch of NCAA guys had a good combine for a 5 days.

I am wondering whether anyone picking him would have to share or pick up the transfer fee to Edmonton, or whether his salary requirements were somehow higher.

Once again, I wish Shome all the success in the world but I don't see the particular big deal about him playing a pro season. A lot of teams in MLS have guys under contract at USL level (Liam Fraser and Aidan Daniels at TFC2 for example) playing pro seasons at central midfield who are the same age or young than Shome and look quite good. Montreal even has Louis Beland-Goyette who plays the exact same position as Shome and has more pro games. Why is he worse than Shome?

As Vancouver fans can attest to, even solid players from NASL have a hard time making the jump to MLS level. Luke Mulholland was in the NASL Best XI two years in a row but is only a borderline starter for a middling RSL team. 

There's no doubt that the NASL is better than the NCAA but Shome is not particularly exceptional statistically where someone like Jacori Hayes, who also slid down the draft ladder, was a standard deviation better in creative categories than the rest of his conference. Same with Adonijah Reid and his performance in L10. Reid was the player I think should have gone higher, personally. Attackers are so valuable and second round picks so low in value that it was a no brainer to take a flyer on him.

6 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Harsh.

i think Sandor over rates Shome, but Sandor is a great guy and does a lot for the game in this country.

Sam Stejskal wrote a feature on him a few days ago as well for MLS online.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/10/year-pro-proved-invaluable-generation-adidas-signee-shamit-shome

Stejkal is obviously Canadian biased and has a Canuck agenda is is tiresomely banging, being a US-born midwesterner and former RSL communications employee.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Harsh.

I have no doubt that he works hard and means well but has he really been on the right side of a lot of issues? I've already mentioned the FC Montreal disaster, but he's also the biggest promoter of the NASL in the Canadian soccer media. This is the NASL that has the worst policy on Canadian players of all the leagues in Canada, the NASL whose corruption probably scuppered Canada's standalone World Cup bid and the NASL whose instability is causing a mess across both national pyramids. 

In addition, Sandor is the biggest promoter of the inane 'the US is exploiting Canadian soccer' theory, despite the fact that club soccer in Canada is only really kept alive by U.S. club expansion fees and the SUM USMNT television deal in the states.

Now, it's not that Sandor's opinion determines what happens but he has a decent amount of visibility in this very small pond and never gets called to account for what has been a pretty terrible record of analysis, insight and vision.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If I had to guess why he dropped between the two mocks it's probably because he spoke to gms and scouts when he got to LA and found out they didn't rate him as highly as he originally did. He spoke a bit about it in his mock draft podcast. 

49 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I have no doubt that he works hard and means well but has he really been on the right side of a lot of issues? I've already mentioned the FC Montreal disaster, but he's also the biggest promoter of the NASL in the Canadian soccer media. This is the NASL that has the worst policy on Canadian players of all the leagues in Canada, the NASL whose corruption probably scuppered Canada's standalone World Cup bid and the NASL whose instability is causing a mess across both national pyramids. 

In addition, Sandor is the biggest promoter of the inane 'the US is exploiting Canadian soccer' theory, despite the fact that MLS is only really kept alive by U.S. club expansion fees and the SUM USMNT television deal in the states.

Now, it's not that Sandor's opinion determines what happens but he has a decent amount of visibility in this very small pond and never gets called to account for what has been a pretty terrible record of analysis, insight and vision.

FYP, don't bring Canadian club soccer into that sentence. If the league they participate in is run like a shoddy pyramid scheme, MLS is at fault. The Canadian and a handful of US MLS teams would survive without those things. It's the other vast majority of US MLS franchises that are only surviving because of expansion fees and the SUM TV deal.

Considering most MLS fans and pundits wouldn't know technically ability if it hit them in the face, I wouldn't argue with him on that one.

Edited by Macksam

No one is mentioning that the vast majority did their senior year and are now drafted, they are almost all older than him. 

Apart from this debate about where he should have gone in the draft, I personally find it pathetic that you could start your pro career at 22, it is totally childish. Nowhere in the world are you getting all excited about a pro career at that age. I know there are players who do in fact make the step and do well, quite a few in fact, but it is still a bit pathetic. Nowhere else in the world does a person start playng pro soccer so late. All power to Shome to play pro while studying, and engineering at that, and probably not a fake curriculum made up for him like at the US liberal arts schools.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No one is mentioning that the vast majority did their senior year and are now drafted, they are almost all older than him. 

Apart from this debate about where he should have gone in the draft, I personally find it pathetic that you could start your pro career at 22, it is totally childish. Nowhere in the world are you getting all excited about a pro career at that age. I know there are players who do in fact make the step and do well, quite a few in fact, but it is still a bit pathetic. Nowhere else in the world does a person start playng pro soccer so late. All power to Shome to play pro while studying, and engineering at that, and probably not a fake curriculum made up for him like at the US liberal arts schools.

QFT

This a 10000 times.

Yeah, I agree,  it is exponentially pathetic.

I think a possible Canadian solution to consider would be to develop the high school game across the country. It has the benefit of not being pay to play (minus uniform costs), the best talent will get chosen, a promotion/relegation system can be easily implemented in the more populous regions and it involves the age groups where 11 on 11 should start. 

Most kids wouldn't get overlooked considering they all should be going to high school.

Now, getting a uniform system across the country will take some effort to implement.

Edited by Macksam