Shamit Shome

shermanator

9 hours ago, yothat said:

I think mls scouts suck. They clearly dont watch video/tape, look at stats,  or could have asked coaches n players what they think.

I think they lack resources. Especially these days, the draft doesn't provide enough talent for many teams outside #1-2, it probably doesn't make sense to commit scouts to do a good job scouting each player vs just rolling the dice. Especially for some players that became available very late in the game 

• 2 months later...

I can't wait till he is fully healthy. He will make an impact for the impact (sorry i couldn't help it...). I watched him play in Edmonton all year last year and i was really impressed. He was the heart of our midfield. His positioning, smart passes, and movement kept the ball moving quickly through the midfield. I hardly ever saw him out of position. Losing Shome is a HUGE reason that FC Edmonton is struggling to start the season. They no longer have Shome to connect the defensive line to the forwards.

I don't know if Shome will start this year for the impact. I see him playing where Bernier plays right now. However I do see Shome being subbed in consistently for Bernier wether or not they are losing or winning just because of his ability to control the game and add some energy. 

I'd love for him to get minutes here but I don't see it happening this year. There are already too many bodies in Montreal's midfield. Arregui, Béland-Goyette, Bernardello, Bernier, Donadel, Mallace, Shome and Dzemaili will be arriving within the next month. 

Maybe a loan back to Edmonton (for the fall season) or even to Ottawa would be better for his development. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Looks like Shome will play for the Canada-Quebec team tomorrow in a friendly against Haiti. It's a possibility that he goes to the Francophone Games after that. They're supposed to name the team on Tuesday. 

That doesn't make any sense. He isn't either francophone nor Quebecois.

Well, if you follow that line of thinking any player playing three months for TFc ? Whitecaps could pull on a canada shirt...

On topic, if he's fit he should be loaned. Why not get back to Edmonton where he can make his minutes with a coach that believes in him. 

He can go there and probably help this team and after that go back to whatever the Impact have plans for him. I mean if he makes the team, he would get an opportunity to play 3 games where you would expect that he would start because it's a bunch of  Impact U18's with Meilleur-Giguère, Sanon and Pantemis.

8 hours ago, Blackdude said:

He can go there and probably help this team and after that go back to whatever the Impact have plans for him. I mean if he makes the team, he would get an opportunity to play 3 games where you would expect that he would start because it's a bunch of  Impact U18's with Meilleur-Giguère, Sanon and Pantemis.

More proof that cutting the FC Montreal team was a mistake. Everyone mentioned here could have been playing every week if the team still existed. Instead most of them  are wasted on the Fury bench. 

• 1 month later...

When there's a vacancy in midfield, it's usually Bélang-Goyette who gets the nod. 

He might get more shots in the future though : 

Mallace is gone. Bernier is retiring. Bernardello is most likely on the way out. Donadel is on his last miles. 

So (not including new recruits), the MF hierarchy next year might look something like this : 

Dzemaili, Piette, Béland Goyette, Shome...  We'll obviously do some recruiting, but Shome probably wont be 6th/7th choice anymore. 

• 1 month later...

Wish he played sooner, but 8 mins to get his feet wet was nice. Hopefully come next season he will be featured a lot more for this team with Bernier retired now. Hope Bernier joins as a coaching for youth teams or a coaching assistant will be nice to see him grow as a coach, but yes Shome will and should get more pt next season...

7 hours ago, shermanator said:

Thought Shome looked decent in his limited minutes. Made a couple good challenges. That said, I don't think he had his teammates trust as he often found himself with lots of space in the middle of the pitch and didn't get the ball.

What I liked is that he was putting himself in open positions and demanding the ball so that showed confidence. Yes most of the time he did not get the ball even when he was the best option so maybe his teammates did not have confidence in him but at least he was doing as much as he could on his part. Unfortunately since he did not get the ball much it makes it hard to judge what his playing ability is.