Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

On 12/9/2017 at 9:16 PM, Yohan said:

If Osorio played every game like he played today, he would be a first team guy. Except he's rarely been consistent last 2 seasons. 

Good game though. 

He was very good and nice to see but you're exactly right. I often wonder if it's the coaching that stifles him or if he's just one of those guys that can only turn it on once in a blue moon.

4 hours ago, rightback said:

He was very good and nice to see but you're exactly right. I often wonder if it's the coaching that stifles him or if he's just one of those guys that can only turn it on once in a blue moon.

I think with Osorio it's  about getting the mental toughness part of his game together. He has superb technical ability and he made huge strides in his defensive game as well as his positioning. If TFC go back to a 4 4 2, Osorio will be an every game starter, unless they go out and sign another import. It's tough to have confidence and consistency when you  are out of the lineup for as long as he was this season, but kudos to him for grabbing it back towards the end of the season and finishing it off with a tremendous performance in the final. 

drunk or not, Osorio has done Canada proud.

I honestly think, because it was rumoured (likely dubiously) earlier this year, he's at the point that if he left TFC he'd be fine. Can't see every MLS team passing up signing him and think he'd be able to have a run in a quality European league, elite Asian or Latin league.

Awesome video, I've always supported Osorio but have criticized some of his poorer performance.  Couldn't be happier for him right now.  His performance in the final and his appearance vs Honduras in the Gold Cup.  Man, if we could  get that consistency, confidence and quality every time he reps Canada, great stuff.  Hope he continues to gain the confidence, consistency and toughness. 

Also watching him improve over the last 18 months (mentally and defensively), as much as we criticize MLS, makes you wonder where he might have been playing 2 years ago if MLS was not around.

• 2 months later...

I heard about this article as I was sitting in the stands last night at the TFC game but I don't think I saw it posted here before (I suspect it hasn't because this is a sort of discussion-generating article) - basically Osorio pulling a bit of a Rodney Dangerfield here - the thing is, it's tough not to agree with him (even if I don't think he should be worried about what the fans might think) - there is a certain mindset among Canadian soccer fans (and I don't mean fans of the Canadian national team) that underrates our players because they are Canadian:

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/larson-adrenaline-junky-jonathan-osorio-deserves-far-more-respect-from-toronto-fc-fans-canadians

After the game last night and Akexte's impressive debut for TFC I've seen a lot of fans on social media (or on TSN radio post-game) saying things like thank goodness that he's arrived because we can finally drop Osorio from the starting line-up. Through the entire 90 minutes of the MLS Cup final I had an Osorio-basher sitting behind me (remember, I wasn't in my typical seats) who wouldn't stop bashing him and in fact predicted that TFC were going to lose the final when it was announced Osorio was starting. When Osorio was subbed out late, the guy grumpily acknowledged "Well, I guess he wasn't too bad tonight".

Don't get me wrong - I think there are more fans who want to see the hometown kids for TFC than there are who bash them because they are local players who they perceive are only getting to play because they are Canadian or just have a prejudice against them, but there's too many of the bashing camp still for my liking and I do agree - if a Canadian player went to Europe and then came back to play in MLS, they are more likely to be seen by this crowd as having proven themselves. Which, for people who are willing to spend money to support a local MLS team, is a ridiculous mindset to have for a player who has proven themselves in MLS.

Not that I think Osorio should let himself be bothered by what the fans think (not getting picked by Floro for whatever "misunderstanding" he claims they have is another matter, however).

Edited by Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I heard about this article as I was sitting in the stands last night at the TFC game but I don't think I saw it posted here before (I suspect it hasn't because this is a sort of discussion-generating article) - basically Osorio pulling a bit of a Rodney Dangerfield here - the thing is, it's tough not to agree with him (even if I don't think he should be worried about what the fans might think) - there is a certain mindset among Canadian soccer fans (and I don't mean fans of the Canadian national team) that underrates our players because they are Canadian:

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/larson-adrenaline-junky-jonathan-osorio-deserves-far-more-respect-from-toronto-fc-fans-canadians

After the game last night and Akexte's impressive debut for TFC I've seen a lot of fans on social media (or on TSN radio post-game) saying things like thank goodness that he's arrived because we can finally drop Osorio from the starting line-up. Through the entire 90 minutes of the MLS Cup final I had an Osorio-basher sitting behind me (remember, I wasn't in my typical seats) who wouldn't stop bashing him and in fact predicted that TFC were going to lose the final when it was announced Osorio was starting. When Osorio was subbed out late, the guy grumpily acknowledged "Well, I guess he wasn't too bad tonight".

Don't get me wrong - I think there are more fans who want to see the hometown kids for TFC than there are who bash them because they are local players who they perceive are only getting to play because they are Canadian or just have a prejudice against them, but there's too many of the bashing camp still for my liking and I do agree - if a Canadian player went to Europe and then came back to play in MLS, they are more likely to be seen by this crowd as having proven themselves. Which, for people who are willing to spend money to support a local MLS team, is a ridiculous mindset to have for a player who has proven themselves in MLS.

Not that I think Osorio should let himself be bothered by what the fans think (not getting picked by Floro for whatever "misunderstanding" he claims they have is another matter, however).

That's BS (bashing of those idiot fans of seeing CANMNTers or prospects play just coz they're Canadians)...We gotta support our boys and credit their efforts no matter what...Not pointing you at all by any means @ GianLuca...I'm a big OSO fan and give him full credit for his strong play as of late

Osorio is a beauty

I am a TFC SSH and in general, he gets piled on way  too much in either TFC forums or at games I attend

One of the few Canadian players who rates to get a lot of playing time for TFC this year and a player with passion and heart for his country too- what else could we ask for from him?

He has, to use the hockey term, developed some great dangles recently and has shown that consistently with TFC last year and into this season ( I was at the game last night and he was dancing on the pitch )

Love the way he plays  and only wish him nothing but continued success for club and country

I agree that Osorio deserves more respect for his play.

Last night it was Delgado who was the weak link, giving the ball away in dangerous spots on multiple occasions.

I think he had an off-night and can do better, but I don't think it will matter, because Ager looks likely to take his spot.

Playing him on the left where he can cut inside makes sense, while Osorio can do the same on the other side of the diamond. So even if we put form aside, I see that change for Delgado coming regardless.

I think Osorio in particular will be a major beneficiary if things play out as I outlined above.

Think about it, he'll be playing alongside Bradley, Victor and Aketxe regularly, he'll surely improve and if he was playing for a club in Europe alongside guys of that quality, we'd be gushing all over him. 

TFC midfield with Aketxe starting is the same quality as good mid-sized clubs like Sporting Braga or Cardiff City. It really isn't much different, is it?

I've always liked Osorio, but he really has elevated his game to a different level recently. I always find it incredible how much an adult can improve by playing at higher levels/with better teammates. Osorio is 25, so not old, but generally people think athletes are done significantly improving at around 21-23 (I know I can be guilty of this because of all the sports management games I play which often follow this model). It will be exciting to see if he'll improve another level this year.

On a side note, it is also incredible to me how certain managers can make athletes play above their (perceived) level. Current examples that come to mind are Guardiola, Klopp, and Sarri. I think Vanney has this trait as there a number of TFC players that have improved noticeably under him e.g. Osorio, Zavaleta, Morrow, Beitashour, and Delgado (or this could simply be a function of what I mentioned before: playing at a consistently higher level elevates your own play).  

3 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I had never been a fan of Osorio and basically regarded him as a posession losing machine. He still needs to take better care of the ball but in the last year or so he has risen considerably in my estimation and now seems to be a fairly effective attacking mid.

Still not in my first eleven for Canada but definitely on the subs bench.

While I do think he could do better in that aspect of his game, I would definitely not call him a "possession losing machine". I think my biggest current complaint is that he doesn't consistently do enough in the final third when he has the space and time, although that hasn't been a problem in the last three matches (CCL against Colorado and the MLS Cup Final). Hopefully his level stays consistent.

Regarding his place in the CanMNT, he should be an auto call up to every squad possible. Starting XI gets tricky. If Atiba is playing then I don't think he makes it (Atiba, Piette, Arfield) but that's a big if. Assuming no Atiba, which is fair, and three central midfielders then I think he should have the inside track. I like him better than Johnson at this point, Bernier is retired, and I am not afraid to voice my dislike for Teibert. I don't see who else would realistically push Osorio for a third midfield spot unless there's someone obvious I'm missing...

2 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

That's BS (bashing of those idiot fans of seeing CANMNTers or prospects play just coz they're Canadians)...We gotta support our boys and credit their efforts no matter what...Not pointing you at all by any means @ GianLuca...I'm a big OSO fan and give him full credit for his strong play as of late

I am not sure what you are trying to say here - it's BS to bash the bashers of Osorio or what the bashers of Osorio are saying is BS?

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I've always liked Osorio, but he really has elevated his game to a different level recently. I always find it incredible how much an adult can improve by playing at higher levels/with better teammates. Osorio is 25, so not old, but generally people think athletes are done significantly improving at around 21-23 (I know I can be guilty of this because of all the sports management games I play which often follow this model). It will be exciting to see if he'll improve another level this year.

On a side note, it is also incredible to me how certain managers can make athletes play above their (perceived) level. Current examples that come to mind are Guardiola, Klopp, and Sarri. I think Vanney has this trait as there a number of TFC players that have improved noticeably under him e.g. Osorio, Zavaleta, Morrow, Beitashour, and Delgado (or this could simply be a function of what I mentioned before: playing at a consistently higher level elevates your own play).  

If one uses Atiba as an example, he arguably did not reach his prime until he moved to Besiktas and that was when he was around 30?  So very possible that he has not hit his ceiling yet.

His linking play has really improved in that he's moving the ball better and more decisively:  much less dwelling on it and slowing down the build up..  I think he and Delgado have some good chemistry on the field:  they play the ball to each other more often now as opposed to simply dishing it to Bradley or Vazquez.

With regards to the NT, he needs to show that he can consistently deliver the goods in his role, which is as a linking player and not as key creative attacking mid.  He really is suited for that left side of that specific diamond formation and not as a no. 10 behind the striker(s).  I think he has matured as a player.

TFC is going to be doing a fair bit of squad rotation this season so he, Delgado, and the others will be getting their shots.

Edited by BearcatSA

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

I don't see who else would realistically push Osorio for a third midfield spot unless there's someone obvious I'm missing...

I totally agree that without Atiba Osorio should be in our starting 11.  Unless someone else makes a major leap, or Tabla comes on board, I don't see anyone else.  Now if Wotherspoon comes on board he might be an option, but to me that would be a battle decided in camp.  Wotherspoon is more experienced but the way Osorio is playing right now I wouldn't automatically slot the Scanuck ahead of him.  I personally don't rate his SPL pedigree any higher than Osorio's MLS champion pedigree.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

If one uses Atiba as an example, he arguably did not reach his prime until he moved to Besiktas and that was when he was around 30?  So very possible that he has not hit his ceiling yet.

Hopefully!!!.... Man, that would be something!!!... I can't just imagine how big that would be for us!!!... Lol

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I am not yet assuming no Atiba but if we do make that assumption then my three attacking midfielders are Hoilett Arfield Davies, with Osorio / Johnson just behind (in the pecking order). You could play those 3 with either 1 or 2 strikers.

Piette would be a clear choice for DM.

Johnson????...Nah man

Oso has come a long way. Playing with Giovinco and Vasquez and Cheyrou rubbed off on him in a positive way, esp in terms of doing the little things to avoid losing possession. He's gotten a lot better at protecting the ball and avoiding challenges. Never going to be a playmaker, but he's far better at being a 'shuttler', esp as his confidence keeps growing. I think he gets slammed more often because Osorio doesn't make those killer passes, but plays more 'safe' IOT keep possession and the ball moving.