Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

8 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Piette is a pure #6 protecting the back four. Oso cannot play that role as he is more of a #8 so the two are not comparable. I do agree that Oso should have probably started the game vs. Jamaica in the GC especially after his superb sub appearance against Honduras where he combined well with Cavallini  and almost scored a brilliant long range strike. Perhaps Oz wanted a more defensive mid against Jamaica. Hard to say. The way Oso has played in the first 4 games of this season, he should start for the CMNT vs. NZ

Will the MLS guys get a call, though???.. That's the question as everyone seems to be pointing to a Euro-based squad.. Obviously we will find out by next week, but totally agree that O-So should get the call and START vs NZ on the 24th... We need someone with the hot hand on our squad, that will do wondrous albeit in a friendly, lol 

8 hours ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Yes, Piette definitely has a different role / position than Osorio, but I was just comparing that they are both some sort of Central midfielders. Osorio has to at least be in the conversation or a player subbed in on a regular basis, but his recent form suggest he is at the level of Larin / Hoilett / Cavallini

I think Canada are actually very deep at mids / strikers .... Cavallini, Larin, Arfield, Hoilett, Osorio, Hutchinson would be my front 6. Then you have Davies, Johnson, Piette on the bench along with plenty of other MLS quality players. We have no defenders! Jakovic, De Jong and Petrasso all started on the weekend but that is pretty weak

Yeah, a little concerning indeed (defenders)!!!.. Maybe time to bring in some of the youngsters who are on the fringe (Gasparotto, Sadiki, Cornelius-type guys).. Heck, Godinho, he apparently is playing very well and getting significant opportunities down at Heart of Midlothian... We still should add in Manjrekar James , maybe in lieu of Jaković  imho... When he wants and is focused, James can be a really good CB, as he showed in the QF against Jamaica in the GC, once he came in Jamaica's attack and counter opportunities settled down... When he is at his game and on his day, he can be of good quality, quite bona-fide in fact imo anyways and plus he's got a knack to score of open play (i.e. Honduras at WCQ and Curaçao friendly) .. Though, he does show at times at tendency to be a step behind in the ball (showed it in that WCQ vs Honduras) and I think in the Jamaica friendly as well, to the point that he ends up making a late tackle that can be in penalty borderline (at least one instance in that Honduras game from what I recalled).. Plus regarding midfield/forward depth, you can threw in Ballou (pending he commits) and not to mention other of our youth players who are doing really well at their age category (thinking guys like Liam Millar, Jonathan David, Tristan Borges) ... I think Manjrekar James will benefit by coming to MLS since it is a fairly physical league and his style of play plus his physical conditions would fit in nicely with him.. Is he always coming to the Impact come summer time?... He is at a good age too, just about prime with some seasons experience too 

6 hours ago, El Diego said:

Another great game from Osorio. He is starting to show that his finals performance from last year was no fluke. If this level is his true level then wow, he has improved an incredible amount over the last 3-4 years.

Side note, Osorio has added this little shuffle to his game. When he's got his back to a defender he sometimes does this body fake to one side then takes it to the other. Sometimes he even does two fakes. I know pretty much every other player does this move but his is so unique looking and it is so effective that I started to notice it more and more. I always think now "There's that Oso shuffle". I counted it once in the game versus Tigres.

Very nifty indeed!!! If he keeps up this play and nifty move, it will go a long way for both TFC and CANMNT, what a perfect combo for us!!!!.. lmfao... As a side note, like you, I'm a big fan of those nifty fake moves he does and did a really good one last night... I have to say he is up there among my fav TFC players if not my fav already, lmfao... Of course it helps he is our guy and reps city and country

5 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

----------------------Larin

--------------------Cavallini

Davies ------------------------------Hoilett

------------Osorio---------Arfield

Adekugbe--Vitoria--James--Petrasso

---------------------Borjan

Love it!!!!... Have little doubts on Vitória as he seems to be a little too slow for a CB, but your suggested lineup is just outstanding and should Herdman implement it, it can do wondrous for us and lead us to big heights, lol!!! (Here's hoping) 

Better?

-------------------Cavallini-----Larin

Davies---------Osorio--------Arfield--------Hoilett

-----------------------------Piette

--------------Jakovic---Vitoria---James

----------------------------Borjan

That's a little better, still questionable on Vitória, hahaha, but yeah, we gotta cover that ground in the middle to prevent attacks on the counter from opposing teams, Piette is well suited for that... Hopefully we add some fence-sitters soon to improve our positioning, lmao... Would expect a high scoring game tbh

True and good point, however, Im willing to play him regardless for the benefit of building understanding and continuity with his strike partner with the expectation/hope that he will be playing and scoring when WCQ rolls around.  We need to start playing our best 11.

Bringing the thread back to Oso, he is definitely one of our best 11 footballers (in the absence of Hutchinson), and he must get a run of games starting in our midfield starting with NZ.

As long as MLS guys get a call, given that they are just getting into season form, with the season just started, there's a high belief many will be left out.. And not sure if Herdman will want to interrupt his stellar play he is having right now at TFC for a fairly insignificant game against a relative minnow opponent, but then again, I'm not John Herdman or TFC brass to make those decisions, lmfao 

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I think we would get lit up like a Roman candle on Halloween night when dealing with a decent opposition's counterattacks. 

But we would be able to put past goal ourselves I bet!!!! So somewhat we would compensate, but prolly a high scoring affair by us and whomever we would play, lmao 

3 hours ago, TFC07 said:

I will play 3-5-2 instead above formation mention in this thread.  

Forwards: Larin-----Cavallini

midfield: Osorio----Arfield----Holliet 

Wingbacks:  Davies-------Petrasso 

Three CB: James-----Vitorita----Henry

Goalkeeper: Borjan 

This formation will play best to current personnal strength.   This lineup is young, skilled and atheltic enough to play well against best in the region.  

Agree 1000%, lmfao... Do you really rate Vitória, high?... Figure I would ask, will like to hear your opinion guys 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I have been high on Vitoria in the past, but he really has had a difficult time in Poland.

Exactly, that is what I'm thinking too @Obinna, plus the fact I think he is a little too slow at times in his game and retreating back to his position to stop/break attacks on the counter as he demonstrated during the QF game vs Jamaica at the GC, maybe one of those goals could have been avoided had he not been a step too slow???... I don't know.. Figure I wonder... 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

But it's going on two years now, still seems to be nowhere near being a regular

That is in fact concerning, particularly when we want to select guys on an area that has proven to be a weakness for us over the last year or so... Fortunately we got the offensive side of the game figured out and some very solid talent , indeed, with one TRUE GAME CHANGER and a potential star in the making and a couple other borderline-stars... Hopefully in the not too distant future we have 2 GAME CHANGERS and pending how this guy develops where he is at (he will remain nameless) we can have two potential global STARS in that facet of the game... It was a hell lot worse before, where we had zero quality goalies plus a very mediocre front-line that hardly would generate offence, save for maybe a guy or two from the middle... However, it seemed like defensively we were better put, yet now circumstances have reverse themselves, we got good exciting talent up front at least imo, anyways, feel free to argue/disagree, but hardly any bona-fide defenders and even in goaltending we are a little thin (our top two goalies are not very young no more)... I'm only ware of one potential prospect(hope) who could turn out to be the goalie of the future, who has done fairly well up to now... Gotta tap into that Busti guy, maybe Fillion and hopefully Callum Irving can make the best of his opportunities now and when the Fury join CANPL... It'd be ideal if we get to nationalize of the CANMLS keepers, who is at a perfect age now, but I will make him nameless as well, though, some rumours have it that he may consider it

45 minutes ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Agree 1000%, lmfao... Do you really rate Vitória, high?... Figure I would ask, will like to hear your opinion guys 

In my lineup, i feel like we need someone like Vitorita who can pass the ball and lead the backline.  Ideally, I rather put Edgar but he has been dealing with serious injury.   

To get back on topic,  Herdman has to find a way to start Osorio.  He's one of few Canadians who plays regularly and performing well.  

Edited by TFC07

4 hours ago, badname22 said:

I feel you would need to replace Osorio with a DM like Piette or Atiba otherwise the team is even more liable defensively 

Atiba isn't regular for CMNT anymore and I feel like Piette isn't good enough compare to other CM we have in our pool.   So I will roll the dice here and put the best line up possible.   Also, I feel like  Arfield can be that guy who can protect backline and contribute offensively at the same.

Edited by TFC07

1 hour ago, TFC07 said:

Atiba isn't regular for CMNT anymore and I feel like Piette isn't good enough compare to other CM we have in our pool.   So I will roll the dice here and put the best line up possible.   Also, I feel like  Arfield can be that guy who can protect backline and contribute offensively at the same.

I disagree.  Piette has been outstanding and it has been great watching him since his move to the Impact.  He plays a very different role than Osorio.  I feel the more direct competition facing Osorio for a starting spot is with Arfield and despite how well he's done, he hasn't won that competition yet.

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

If Arfield is still hurt, it's Piette/Kaye/Osorio that should be the MF. Otherwise Arfield goes in for Kaye.

Davies?

Are you assuming no Hoilett to allow him to focus on the run-in with the sheep shaggers?

10 hours ago, kacbru said:

I disagree.  Piette has been outstanding and it has been great watching him since his move to the Impact.  He plays a very different role than Osorio.  I feel the more direct competition facing Osorio for a starting spot is with Arfield and despite how well he's done, he hasn't won that competition yet.

This.. I think after the gold cup there’s little doubt that Piette is our third best mid after Hutch and Arfield. I also rate Johnson higher than Osorio.

3 hours ago, Vince193 said:

In the MF three it those three. the front 3 would be Hoilett/Davies/Cavallini(?)

Oh I see, you have Hoilett and Davies as strikers. I think of them as MF.

Now it appears we have a wealth of talent at MF and as much as I love Oso and want him to succeed and be a part of the squad, two recently outstanding games do not automatically give you starter status on our MNT.  I believe Oso needs to be in every squad and should see significant minutes going forward based on what he has demonstrated recently. 

Depending on formation though you would he hard pressed not to play Piette who has been consistently outstanding over a much longer period of work.  Then with Arfield, Hutch if he chooses to play, Davies, the competition is stiff. 

We can only hope that we are writing similar things about the back line in the next year or so as some of the younger guys find playing time and improve.

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

This.. I think after the gold cup there’s little doubt that Piette is our third best mid after Hutch and Arfield. I also rate Johnson higher than Osorio.

Disagree with Johnson.. O-So is on a tear now and is been playing red-hot as we all know.. What has Johnson done of significance the other night?... Perhaps starting at most?... Maybe as DM, Johnson could be better, but O-So is far flashier and got some WAY more nifty move on his game than what I have ever seen from Johnson... Sounds like you are a big Johnson fan and nothing wrong, I respect it 100 %... Not arguing with you by any means, lol 

13 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

We can only hope that we are writing similar things about the back line in the next year or so as some of the younger guys find playing time and improve.

Exactly, that is the hope!!!.. Seems we got some solid prospects in there, believe it or not, but some are yet to go pro save for a few maybe??... Thinking of guys like (Cornelius, Gasparotto, Đidić).. we should complement them with James as he is already a seasoned pro... Or dream scenario Ferreira & Tomori come to the rescue, lmfao and we get Ballou as an added threat in our MF/forward position and things would really look up for the CANMNT, lmfao

1 hour ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Disagree with Johnson.. O-So is on a tear now and is been playing red-hot as we all know.. What has Johnson done of significance the other night?... Perhaps starting at most?... Maybe as DM, Johnson could be better, but O-So is far flashier and got some WAY more nifty move on his game than what I have ever seen from Johnson... Sounds like you are a big Johnson fan and nothing wrong, I respect it 100 %... Not arguing with you by any means, lol 

Wouldn’t say I’m a big Johnson fan just that he’s always been better at club and country than Osorio. He’s coming off some personal issues but I don’t see any reason that puts him behind Oso in my mind. Johnson is better at just about everything but flair, dribbling and passing imo he’s a better finisher, better from dead balls, better defensively, higher work rate and more experience.  Different players but for me I’d want Johnson on the pitch.. I still say that Osorio over Johnson in the MLS cup final in 2016 was a huge mistake that cost tfc the cup. 

19 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Wouldn’t say I’m a big Johnson fan just that he’s always been better at club and country than Osorio. He’s coming off some personal issues but I don’t see any reason that puts him behind Oso in my mind. Johnson is better at just about everything but flair, dribbling and passing imo he’s a better finisher, better from dead balls, better defensively, higher work rate and more experience.  Different players but for me I’d want Johnson on the pitch.. I still say that Osorio over Johnson in the MLS cup final in 2016 was a huge mistake that cost tfc the cup. 

Agree with the part of Johnson being better defensively over OSO