Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

8 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Absolutely agree @michaeltfc91!!!... But Piette and MAK r great too.... Unless you find OSO to be better, which is a whole other story

It’s kind of fun to argue about who is better rather than who is worse. We haven’t been able to do that much with our North American based players.

11 hours ago, michaeltfc91 said:

how Samuel Piette or Mark-Anthony Kaye ever got ahead of Osorio in the depth chart is baffling... the guy is an incredible player

Piette is a pure #6 protecting the back four. Oso cannot play that role as he is more of a #8 so the two are not comparable. I do agree that Oso should have probably started the game vs. Jamaica in the GC especially after his superb sub appearance against Honduras where he combined well with Cavallini  and almost scored a brilliant long range strike. Perhaps Oz wanted a more defensive mid against Jamaica. Hard to say. The way Oso has played in the first 4 games of this season, he should start for the CMNT vs. NZ

20 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Piette is a pure #6 protecting the back four. Oso cannot play that role as he is more of a #8 so the two are not comparable. I do agree that Oso should have probably started the game vs. Jamaica in the GC especially after his superb sub appearance against Honduras where he combined well with Cavallini  and almost scored a brilliant long range strike. Perhaps Oz wanted a more defensive mid against Jamaica. Hard to say. The way Oso has played in the first 4 games of this season, he should start for the CMNT vs. NZ

Yes, Piette definitely has a different role / position than Osorio, but I was just comparing that they are both some sort of Central midfielders. Osorio has to at least be in the conversation or a player subbed in on a regular basis, but his recent form suggest he is at the level of Larin / Hoilett / Cavallini

I think Canada are actually very deep at mids / strikers .... Cavallini, Larin, Arfield, Hoilett, Osorio, Hutchinson would be my front 6. Then you have Davies, Johnson, Piette on the bench along with plenty of other MLS quality players. We have no defenders! Jakovic, De Jong and Petrasso all started on the weekend but that is pretty weak

Another great game from Osorio. He is starting to show that his finals performance from last year was no fluke. If this level is his true level then wow, he has improved an incredible amount over the last 3-4 years.

Side note, Osorio has added this little shuffle to his game. When he's got his back to a defender he sometimes does this body fake to one side then takes it to the other. Sometimes he even does two fakes. I know pretty much every other player does this move but his is so unique looking and it is so effective that I started to notice it more and more. I always think now "There's that Oso shuffle". I counted it once in the game versus Tigres.

Edited by El Diego

27 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Another great game from Osorio. He is starting to show that his finals performance from last year was no fluke. If this level is his true level then wow, he has improved an incredible amount over the last 3-4 years.

Side note, Osorio has added this little shuffle to his game. When he's got his back to a defender he sometimes does this body fake to one side then takes it to the other. Sometimes he even does two fakes. I know pretty much every other player does this move but his is so unique looking and it is so effective that I started to notice it more and more. I always think now "There's that Oso shuffle". I counted it once in the game versus Tigres.

I know what play you are talking about. I noticed this in his game too. Oso is exceptional at that.

6 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

----------------------Larin

--------------------Cavallini

Davies ------------------------------Hoilett

------------Osorio---------Arfield

Adekugbe--Vitoria--James--Petrasso

---------------------Borjan

Holy damn the torpedoes batman!

You might want to put at least one defensive mid in there or you are liable to lose 6-5!! Our defence is a bit rickety at the best of times! They need a little help!

1 minute ago, dsqpr said:

Holy damn the torpedoes batman!

You might want to put at least one defensive mid in there or you are liable to lose 6-5!! Our defence is a bit rickety at the best of times! They need a little help!

Better?

-------------------Cavallini-----Larin

Davies---------Osorio--------Arfield--------Hoilett

-----------------------------Piette

--------------Jakovic---Vitoria---James

----------------------------Borjan

16 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

----------------------Larin

--------------------Cavallini

Davies ------------------------------Hoilett

------------Osorio---------Arfield

Adekugbe--Vitoria--James--Petrasso

---------------------Borjan

How many match minutes has Larin seen since Orlando played their last reg season game in October...? He basically hasn't played in 4.5 months...

11 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

How many match minutes has Larin seen since Orlando played their last reg season game in October...? He basically hasn't played in 4.5 months...

True and good point, however, Im willing to play him regardless for the benefit of building understanding and continuity with his strike partner with the expectation/hope that he will be playing and scoring when WCQ rolls around.  We need to start playing our best 11.

Bringing the thread back to Oso, he is definitely one of our best 11 footballers (in the absence of Hutchinson), and he must get a run of games starting in our midfield starting with NZ.

15 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Bringing the thread back to Oso, he is definitely one of our best 11 footballers (in the absence of Hutchinson), and he must get a run of games starting in our midfield starting with NZ.

Perhaps, but a team needs balance. And I think he is behind Arfield, Hoilett, and Davies as an attacking midfielder and there is not room in a team for four attacking mids. However, even if he is our 4th best attacking mid he can still expect to see a lot of game time, with injuries, suspensions, and tactical substitutions.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Better?

-------------------Cavallini-----Larin

Davies---------Osorio--------Arfield--------Hoilett

-----------------------------Piette

--------------Jakovic---Vitoria---James

----------------------------Borjan

I think we would get lit up like a Roman candle on Halloween night when dealing with a decent opposition's counterattacks. 

I will play 3-5-2 instead above formation mention in this thread.  

Forwards: Larin-----Cavallini

midfield: Osorio----Arfield----Holliet 

Wingbacks:  Davies-------Petrasso 

Three CB: James-----Vitorita----Henry

Goalkeeper: Borjan 

This formation will play best to current personnal strength.   This lineup is young, skilled and atheltic enough to play well against best in the region.  

8 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I think we would get lit up like a Roman candle on Halloween night when dealing with a decent opposition's counterattacks. 

Maybe but they will score a lot of more goals too.  3-5-2 can be very  defensive line up as long wingbacks don't get caught up front too much.  

Just now, TFC07 said:

This formation will play best to current personnal strength.   This lineup is young, skilled and atheltic enough to play well against best in the region.  

I feel you would need to replace Osorio with a DM like Piette or Atiba otherwise the team is even more liable defensively 

Just now, TFC07 said:

Maybe but they will score a lot of more goals too.  3-5-2 can be very  defensive line up as long wingbacks don't get caught up front too much.  

I'm not so sure about that, either, though Davies is a big time game changing talent.

51 minutes ago, TFC07 said:

Replace Borjan with AJH and I think you are onto something! Also, no idea why you have 3 defenders -- seems like overkill to me.

I have been high on Vitoria in the past, but he really has had a difficult time in Poland.

Back then it was his first year, he was injured, and he still played well for Canada when called, so whatever.

But it's going on two years now, still seems to be nowhere near being a regular, and he hasn't been bad for Canada, but with Jakovic taking his opportunity well, Henry (on the mend for now) poised to eventually get a chance in Parker's absense, and Edgar recovered (albiet technically unsigned), I don't know how much longer we can automatically pencil Vitoria into our projected starting 11.

Edited by Obinna

I know that many would like to see us play with 2 strikers, but unless we significantly improve our back 4 mainly CB and rightback, I can't see JH sacrificing a CM for an extra forward. Part of the challenge of attacking as a team and getting numbers up into the last 3rd of the field is that we are vunerable to the counter and this is partly due to us having a weak back 4. It would help if they could match the speed of Concacaf forwards.

23 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I know that many would like to see us play with 2 strikers, but unless we significantly improve our back 4 mainly CB and rightback, I can't see JH sacrificing a CM for an extra forward. Part of the challenge of attacking as a team and getting numbers up into the last 3rd of the field is that we are vunerable to the counter and this is partly due to us having a weak back 4. It would help if they could match the speed of Concacaf forwards.

I tend to agree - and I say that as someone who would love to see us play 2 up front.  But I don't think it is realistic because of our weakness at the back, and our depth at midfield.  Taken together, that just doesn't lend itself to 2 up high.

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Perhaps, but a team needs balance. And I think he is behind Arfield, Hoilett, and Davies as an attacking midfielder and there is not room in a team for four attacking mids. However, even if he is our 4th best attacking mid he can still expect to see a lot of game time, with injuries, suspensions, and tactical substitutions.

Sorry but if he keeps playing like this he needs to start , end of story , this is the Canadian bloody national team we are talking about not Costa Rica or Mexico the Canadian national team you know the one that has done squat for how many years now? We are debating if a guy who was man of the match in an MLS final and against one of Mexico’s best team can start for Canada lol no not the Canadian hockey team or even the Canadian Basketball team but our national soccer team ya that one that has done nothing for how many years now ? Oso keeps playing like this you find away to start him no debate please!