Tosaint Ricketts

Obinna

• 4 months later...

I don't know what to make of this because they're the first to report this and that they've used the wrong verb conjugation. It mentions that Ricketts wouldn't be kept by TFC. I'm not confirming nor denying this report. And of course it mentions CPL as a possible landing spot.

22 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I don't know what to make of this because they're the first to report this and that they've used the wrong verb conjugation. It mentions that Ricketts wouldn't be kept by TFC. I'm not confirming nor denying this report. And of course it mentions CPL as a possible landing spot.

What Tosaint Ricketts isn't plural? 

Might be better for him ... to go elsewhere and play regularly.

Edited by ray

I would not be surprised to see Toronto move on from him, but I think it's best for both him and Toronto to continue.

Ricketts hasn't played much, but he's still managed to improve as a player in Toronto. 

In Ricketts, TFC have an option capable of scoring goals late in the game and at the very least keeping defences honest with his speed. Plus, he's not a guy who needs to be a starter. I think he's happy in his substitute role. No drama.

The only thing is the salary. I think he's on 180k. That's not too large, but large enough that TFC may be tempted to offload him.

11 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Tosaint and AJH need to move on and play.  They were useful to Canada, and I thought AJH would be in the mix for minutes with us, but rotting on the bench has made both afterthoughts.  If they can’t find a spot in another league, they should be in the CPL.

I don't think CPL teams can afford Rickets. I'm sure he'd tear up the league but Israel seems more likely ATM. Hopefully we'll see AJH shining though. 

TFC declines option on Ricketts

https://www.tsn.ca/tfc-declines-options-on-ricketts-irwin-1.1216768

Sad to see him go. Seems like his career was resurrected when he came here; scored some big goals from the club. Always seemed to be a team first guy and I know he was well-liked amongst his teammates. Lets hope he finds somewhere quick where he can get some playing time.

20 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

TFC declines option on Ricketts

https://www.tsn.ca/tfc-declines-options-on-ricketts-irwin-1.1216768

Sad to see him go. Seems like his career was resurrected when he came here; scored some big goals from the club. Always seemed to be a team first guy and I know he was well-liked amongst his teammates. Lets hope he finds somewhere quick where he can get some playing time.

Couldn't they negotiate a new contract at a lower salary or no?

17 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Not when picking up the option. They could now though. 

Thanks. Thats what I thought too.

So just because his option is declined doesnt meant we will see the last of Ricketts in Toronto.

He was on about 180k if I remember correctly - which I don't see him getting anywhere else in MLS, let alone the CPL.

He seems to like Toronto and TFC and they seem to like him back, but they have to find cap space, somewhere.

I predict Ricketts signs a new contract with TFC earning somewhere between 90 and 120k. 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

So just because his option is declined doesnt meant we will see the last of Ricketts in Toronto.

He was on about 180k if I remember correctly - which I don't see him getting anywhere else in MLS, let alone the CPL.

He seems to like Toronto and TFC and they seem to like him back, but they have to find cap space, somewhere.

I predict Ricketts signs a new contract with TFC earning somewhere between 90 and 120k. 

I mentioned this in the TFC thread but it's the "So long and thanks for all the fish"-type thank you message that makes me less optimistic that they will re-sign him - not all of the players out of contract or on loan got that (not that this means that the others will necessarily be back, but it's a bit of a weird thing to say to players that are going to return).

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

I mentioned this in the TFC thread but it's the "So long and thanks for all the fish"-type thank you message that makes me less optimistic that they will re-sign him - not all of the players out of contract or on loan got that (not that this means that the others will necessarily be back, but it's a bit of a weird thing to say to players that are going to return).

yeah I saw your comment on that after. I think you have a good point. It tempers my optimism as well.

On 11/27/2018 at 9:10 AM, Obinna said:

Additionally, I'm pretty sure for the MLS club option there is a minimum salary increase that must occur if the team picks up the option. I.e. if he was on 180K and they picked up his option, this most likely would have gone up, whereas if they decline the option they still get first crack at negotiating a lower salary with him.

I'm not sure if Tos will be back with TFC next year, but he's established himself as a reliable depth striker and impact sub, who brings a lot of locker room intangibles, so I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere.

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

Will Ricketts ever play for Canada again? He is behind: cavallini, Larin, David  anyone else? 

Ricketts has no bussiness getting called up unless either of the above mentioned are injured. He is just not good enough sorry

23 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

Will Ricketts ever play for Canada again? He is behind: cavallini, Larin, David  anyone else? 

Possibly Millar. He did a great job at center forward against New Zealand. Of course that’s also the game where Ricketts came on a score the only goal of the game. I think Ricketts still deserves a call, just maybe not any playing time.

• 1 month later...