Tosaint Ricketts

Obinna

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

He's really found a niche and a role at TFC this year.  He was such dangerous impact player down the stretch coming in at 70' and using his athleticism to beat tired defenders.  

Im glad he's found a role and a club for himself.  

The role of super sub is one that is often overlooked - or at least looked down on - but it can be so vital.  I remember Solskjaer (Ole, the "baby faced assassin") who was devastating for ManUnited coming off the bench.  Son is currently doing the same thing for Spurs - frequently better off the bench than in the starting 11.  And lots of others have done the same thing.  These aren't guys brought on to kill the clock - though I remember a game for the Nats where Ricketts clearly had that assignment (and did the job).  These are guys that can change a game when the coach needs to stir it up and try to get a result.  

Nothing wrong with being that kind of player IMO.  And Ricketts was killer in that role this past year.  Good on TFC for recognizing and rewarding that contribution. 

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

He's really found a niche and a role at TFC this year.  He was such dangerous impact player down the stretch coming in at 70' and using his athleticism to beat tired defenders.  

Im glad he's found a role and a club for himself.  

Agree 100%.

Glad Floro used him the same way.....oh wait.

35 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Usually at 29 a player has finished developing, but I think Toss may have some room for improvement. He now has a consistent team and a coaching staff who have interest in seeing him improve which he may not have had most of his career.

Very good point, bouncing around so much, who knows what kind of coaching he has gotten.  He might not have any more significant improvements in his skill set at 29, but a good coach/manager can help him find a role and use the skills he has to be an effective player.  I still wish he would convert more of the chances he does get.  Even though, i know i know he is moved up to blank spot on all time CDN goal list.   

I would add that you often see players who are "late bloomers" often hit their prime 3-5 years later than most. ie a 19yr old who is playing top flight would be in their prime at 25-26 (Michael Owen comes to mind), but you look at someone like Didier Drogba who arguably had his best season at 32 what just hitting the top flight at 25-26...

• 9 months later...
41 minutes ago, canta15 said:

He is most likely starting in place of the suspended Giovinco in their next playoff match away to Columbus. 

Or Altidore depending on how you look at it. Ricketts is more similar to Altidore than he is to Giovinco. It's probably the most accurate to say that Vazquez will be playing in a bit more of a Giovinco-esque role and Tosaint playing more like Altidore.

11 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Altidore is suspended too? I think he's going to start. Hoping Altidore gets supended for 2 games so he can start the second leg. 

Altidore got sent off at half for "violent conduct" that occurred in the tunnel. We are appealing the decision but it looks like he will be suspended for the first leg of the conference finals against Columbus alongside Giovinco.

17 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Or Altidore depending on how you look at it. Ricketts is more similar to Altidore than he is to Giovinco. It's probably the most accurate to say that Vazquez will be playing in a bit more of a Giovinco-esque role and Tosaint playing more like Altidore.

Actually Giovinco and Ricketts are known to not be able to start together as they play similar positions. Altidore plays well with Ricketts as he plays the destroyer roll allowing Ricketts to utilize his pace on runs coming from behind

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

That sucks

Ricketts is owed $200,000 next season, counts as an international, and is on the wrong side of thirty. Don't think TFC has much risk in leaving him unprotected. Hasler is available at half the price and would be a 3-year starter for an expansion team.

If Bradley does take him it's a good thing from a CMNT perspective. You don't take a player with his salary/roster status unless you're planning on him having a major role in your team. 

• 3 months later...

Considering the amount of stick he has got over the years he has earned those stats. His pace has always made him a useful player and he deserves some plaudits.

Still, just as Larin would probably be past 16 Tossaub would likely already be our top scorer if he had finished all the sitters and 1 on 1's through the years. But how many strikers could you say that about.

Quiet first half today but much better in the second. Good to see him fit and hopefully some more playing time for TFC now beckons.