Tosaint Ricketts

Obinna

• 1 year later...

Big bump. Just watching a pregame piece on Tos right now. What do we think the chances are of Herdman calling up Tos for a curtain call at home in Edmonton? Not saying he beats out other strikers on form or quality, but he’s a great guy and it would be a class move to at least have him on the bench in his hometown and maybe get some minutes to see out the end of the match if it works out. Thoughts?

Edited by shorty

6 minutes ago, shorty said:

Big bump. Just watching a pregame piece on Tos right now. What do we think the chances are of Herdman calling up Tos for a curtain call at home in Edmonton? Not saying he beats out other strikers on form or quality, but he’s a great guy and it would be a class move to at least have him on the bench in his hometown and maybe get some minutes to see out the end of the match if it works out. Thoughts?

No thanks - we’ve seen how easily injuries, suspensions etc  can force an “end of the bench” guy into matches. Brym made three appearances for us last window.

tos is a great guy and was a dedicated soldier but he’s nowhere near the level for what we need at this moment.

Ideally (and we haven’t seen ideal selection IMO, at least from a position of incomplete information) we would have others in the selection that could come in if required. I’m talking about about giving Tos 5 minutes at the end of a game where we are 3-0 against CR. Not a situation where we need either a goal or to close out a close game. We should bring others for that I grant you. 

25 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If we were as thin as we were this time,  I wouldn’t mind him on the bench for one game over a guy like Brym.  I don’t really think we lose anything.  But with Larin potentially back, and guys like Millar on the bench, I am not sure we have the luxury of a feel good spot.  

Seriously? I don't know see any case for Tos whatsoever, with all due respect to him. If we need a body on the bench who is experienced, why not call Akindele? At least he's been around the group more recently and more often.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Tos was last with the group in the January 2021 camp, where we had no matches, just training. Even Raheem Edwards eas part of that camp.

Maybe there is a good reason that's flying over my head or something, but I don't see the case for him.

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Seriously? I don't know see any case for Tos whatsoever, with all due respect to him. If we need a body on the bench who is experienced, why not call Akindele? At least he's been around the group more recently and more often.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Tos was last with the group in the January 2021 camp, where we had no matches, just training. Even Raheem Edwards eas part of that camp.

Maybe there is a good reason that's flying over my head or something, but I don't see the case for him.

You are right and it probably doesn’t make sense - but I have always had a soft spot for Tos.  He has always worked hard as hell for us when he was on the field and he ended up with a very respectable goal tally.  Tesho would be the more obvious choice but a final run out for TR wouldn’t be the worst thing.  Mind you, a healthy Larin (subbed in for Besiktas on Friday) or Cav (currently on the bench for the Caps) would mean there is no room for either of them on the bench anyway.  

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You are right and it probably doesn’t make sense - but I have always had a soft spot for Tos.  He has always worked hard as hell for us when he was on the field and he ended up with a very respectable goal tally.  Tesho would be the more obvious choice but a final run out for TR wouldn’t be the worst thing.  Mind you, a healthy Larin (subbed in for Besiktas on Friday) or Cav (currently on the bench for the Caps) would mean there is no room for either of them on the bench anyway.  

Fair enough!

I have a soft spot for Ricketts as well. But if he got a few minute run out at a game in Edmonton, how many people would appreciate that as some sort of important moment? Especially without some sort of retirement announcement and him being on a farewell tour. My guess is most people would be like "They are taking Larin out. Let's cheer a bunch for him because we are up 3-0 and he got 2 of those goals. Who is coming on? Ricketts? OK, that's fine, we don't need to score anymore, we need Larin to rest up for the next game." There would maybe be a handful of people to get sentimental about him getting on the field in Edmonton, probably not worth the roster spot assuming we aren't really short handed.

If he gets on the team I want it to be because he gets hot like in 2017.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Respect for this guy. For years he was "all we had" and played his heart out for us. Love to see him contributing this year.

100%.  He almost deserves to go to Qatar for always showing up for country when called upon and for enduring a very difficult decade of Canadian soccer.  It's too bad he was phased out of this program right before this qualification campaign.

Just now, johnyb said:

Respect for this guy. For years he was "all we had" and played his heart out for us. Love to see him contributing this year.

He has always been under appreciated IMO.  Prior to our current crop of offensive talent, he was (I think) 4th on our all time scoring table.  He always answered the call, always did what was asked (I remember him racing around harrying defenders when that was the task), and deserves recognition.  

57 minutes ago, Shway said:

@johnyb got it spot on. "All we had" years, when me and brother would watch games and see the ball get hoofed from the back and say "go Ricketts go!"

I got big respect for the guy like others are saying. I actually hope he could go to Qatar as an ambassador or something. I think he deserves that.

I wonder if we will ever see the list of who got free tickets? Would like to see it go to some ex players over some suit who voted for Bontis.

5 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I wonder if we will ever see the list of who got free tickets? Would like to see it go to some ex players over some suit who voted for Bontis.

they can barely open the books....and your asking for that transparency lol. 
I know Dino will probably get tickets 

• 1 month later...